Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Turboing my altezza

Post info/questions on engine mods and issues here
JordanCoupe
Trc On!

Turboing my altezza

Postby JordanCoupe » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:03 pm

The last while iv been debating what to do with the car; sell it on and get something else or go all out on it and keep it for a good while. If I was too keep it I'd definatly want more power and since engine swaps seem more hassle than there worth iv been looking into turboing or maybe even supercharging the beams engine. I'm not looking for mad power since I use the car as a daily, 270-300bhp would be my target.

So this has given me a few questions;

Will the standard internals take ~300 safely?

Is it as simple as bolting on the turbo and mapping on say a power fc or will I havta go messing with vvti etc etc to make the engine take boost?

And would there be any advantage to supercharging over turboing? I'm well aware of the pros and cons of each but I mean specific advantages on the 3sge.

Any help/advice is appreciated lads :)

hermit
Trc Off

Re: Turboing my altezza

Postby hermit » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:02 pm

Here's a link for a turbo kit for sale
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/toyota-altezz ... 4d1adced98

On a standard engine around 280bhp should be safe enough as long as you don't go to mad with boost, maybe .7 or .8

ESXTEZZ
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby ESXTEZZ » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:41 pm

I ran over 350bhp on a stock engine with a supercharger and had no issues, with a good map the problems will come from over revving and too much torque.
A low boost turbo setup will last forever as long as it's tuned propperly, I wouldnt go past 11 psi on stock compression tho as fuel quality varies.
If you use a power fc the tuner will adjust the vvti to suit, you will get better gains from a turbo setup as it's more effecient but you will also have a lot more heat in the engine bay to deal with.

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Postby Soiled » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:08 pm

Plenty of threads on here about this, a bolt on turbo kit will get you the hp you want. And as ESXTEZZ said I wouldn't go too high on the boost (Depends on turbo size, 11psi on a TD04 is very different to 11psi on a TD06) due to detenation issues and the rods aren't the strongest.

JordanCoupe
Trc On!

Postby JordanCoupe » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:39 pm

Cool thanks for the responses lads, would the standerd pump be upto the job? I know the standerd injectors will be at there last in the high 200s so I plan on changing them anyways

NinjaPower
Trc Off

Postby NinjaPower » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:15 am

I'm not a fan of turbo'ing the Beams engine...

Read this..

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=13512

JordanCoupe
Trc On!

Postby JordanCoupe » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:04 pm

NinjaPower wrote:I'm not a fan of turbo'ing the Beams engine...

Read this..

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=13512

I wouldn't rate a 3sgte at all the girlfriends brother has one Ina Celica and my old dc2 used to leave it sitting, I wouldn't say it'd even be much of an improvement to my standerd altezza to be honest.

Return to “Engine & Transmission section”