Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Turboing Altezza questions

Post info/questions on engine mods and issues here
Trd Shane
Tezza Fanatic!

Turboing Altezza questions

Postby Trd Shane » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:41 pm

Hey I'm looking into turboing my Altezza (3sge beams )
I'm looking at the greedy turbo kit
Questions are :

What else do I need as in head gasket ,fuel pump ,what size injectors ?
What's the best flywheel and clutch to get ?
And is there emanage that comes with the kit any use or should I upgrade ecu also ?

Any knowledge on what other mods I will need to support turbo will be great

Thanks in advance :D
"If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem"

peter0991
Altezza Guru

Re: Turboing Altezza questions

Postby peter0991 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:54 am

It all depends on how much boost/power you want to run. From personal experience, your injectors will run out of puff pretty soon. So bigger injectors (540cc) are recommended. Apart from that I ran 0.5bar on stock gasket & fuel pump. What sort of figures are you after?

Clutch and flywheel type depends on how deep your pockets are really :lol: Not sure what the best ones are. But ive been running an Exedy paddle clutch in mine and only recently it started slipping after two years of abuse.

Never used emanage personally, but i know of a few folk that use them with good results. No need to spend more than you have to, imho.

Exhaust with a larger bore would be beneficial.

Water and oil cooling would need to be addressed at some point as well as you will be generating much more heat with the turbo. But it depends on your driving of course.

Trd Shane
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby Trd Shane » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:08 pm

peter0991 wrote:It all depends on how much boost/power you want to run. From personal experience, your injectors will run out of puff pretty soon. So bigger injectors (540cc) are recommended. Apart from that I ran 0.5bar on stock gasket & fuel pump. What sort of figures are you after?

Clutch and flywheel type depends on how deep your pockets are really :lol: Not sure what the best ones are. But ive been running an Exedy paddle clutch in mine and only recently it started slipping after two years of abuse.

Never used emanage personally, but i know of a few folk that use them with good results. No need to spend more than you have to, imho.

Water and oil cooling would need to be addressed at some point as well as you will be generating much more heat with the turbo. But it depends on your driving of course.

I'm not looking for any power In particular just want a bit more gain .. I suppose 280 290 be a goal ... I was going to go trd flywheel and exert clutch ... What's yours like for daily driving ???

And would supercharger be safer option as in reliability ...
Does the emanage not have to be remapped every six months as our ecu start to learn and cancel the map out ... Thanks for your reply

peter0991
Altezza Guru

Postby peter0991 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:34 pm

3 paddle clutch is absolutely fine for daily driving. I have no problem with it whatsoever. I prefer it over standard clutch, if anything.

280-290 you would need a fuel pump and drop the compression slightly. 0.7-0.8 bar should get you that figure.

Superchargers arent as fun mate. Slap a turbo on there ;)

Not sure on the ecu details, maybe someone else might be able to help

Trd Shane
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby Trd Shane » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:47 pm

peter0991 wrote:3 paddle clutch is absolutely fine for daily driving. I have no problem with it whatsoever. I prefer it over standard clutch, if anything.

280-290 you would need a fuel pump and drop the compression slightly. 0.7-0.8 bar should get you that figure.

Superchargers arent as fun mate. Slap a turbo on there ;)

Not sure on the ecu details, maybe someone else might be able to help

How much did clutch cost you ...

What bhp would I get with just standard turbo kit and injectors and fuel pump with out touching engine at .5 bar ???

And is that pressure safe ... What can stock internals take ??

peter0991
Altezza Guru

Postby peter0991 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:39 pm

Cant remember the cost.

I had my car mapped pushing 270bph @0.5bar and I would say thats pretty safe. Has taken plenty of abuse over the years.

I reckon stock internals on dropped compression could take 1bar. But thats pushing it. 0.5bar is a safe bet.

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Postby Soiled » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:44 pm

Emanage is fine know several people running them without problem. I ran one for a year or so too. Pretty sure the Ecu only trims closed loop driving (cruising/light throttle).

Trd Shane
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby Trd Shane » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:01 am

Hmm sounds interesting :) can't wait now ... Let the buying commence ... Sure might aswel try ecu if it gives any problems I can swap it out :) thanks guys for the info much appreciated :) ...

twiglett-RS200
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby twiglett-RS200 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:12 am

Shane where abouts are you?
What's your budget?
My altezza made over 300hp at 1bar of boost.
Its for sale if you are interested.

Trd Shane
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby Trd Shane » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:58 pm

My budget is about 4 k and I have an Altezza :/ thanks for offer though .. Best of luck with sale mate

Dimis
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby Dimis » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:36 pm

Trd Shane wrote:
peter0991 wrote:It all depends on how much boost/power you want to run. From personal experience, your injectors will run out of puff pretty soon. So bigger injectors (540cc) are recommended. Apart from that I ran 0.5bar on stock gasket & fuel pump. What sort of figures are you after?

I'm not looking for any power In particular just want a bit more gain .. I suppose 280 290 be a goal ... I was going to go trd flywheel and exert clutch ... What's yours like for daily driving ???

And would supercharger be safer option as in reliability ...
Does the emanage not have to be remapped every six months as our ecu start to learn and cancel the map out ... Thanks for your reply

Hi you do not need to remap the greddy ecu. just reset the oem ecu. That is what I do and evertything works fine
Lexus IS200 Supercharger

ESXTEZZ
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby ESXTEZZ » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:41 pm

Stock injectors are ok on a turbo setup to about 280 bhp, the killer on stock internals is the torque. I made over 350bhp on stock internals with a supercharger setup and that engine was perfect when it was stripped.
On good high octane fuel you should be ok with 11 maybe 12 psi depending on how aggresive and how well the ecu has been mapped.

Trd Shane
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby Trd Shane » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:04 pm

ESXTEZZ wrote:Stock injectors are ok on a turbo setup to about 280 bhp, the killer on stock internals is the torque. I made over 350bhp on stock internals with a supercharger setup and that engine was perfect when it was stripped.
On good high octane fuel you should be ok with 11 maybe 12 psi depending on how aggresive and how well the ecu has been mapped.

Happy days thanks for all the info :D

twiglett-RS200
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby twiglett-RS200 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:33 pm

£4k buys my car. :wink:
all the work is already done and you can sell anything you dont use.
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=13126&p=127336#p127336

Trd Shane
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby Trd Shane » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:12 pm

twiglett-RS200 wrote:£4k buys my car. :wink:
all the work is already done and you can sell anything you dont use.
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=13126&p=127336#p127336

4000 pound is 4800 euro plus shipping over to ireland then vrt your talking nearly 6000-7000 euro ... I could turbo and supercharger my Altezza for that ... Thanks though

Return to “Engine & Transmission section”