Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

TURBO CHECKLIST!!

Post info/questions on engine mods and issues here
Vanter
Noob!

TURBO CHECKLIST!!

Postby Vanter » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:16 am

OK i have decided to turbo charge the tezza. I would like different opinions on the parts to buy in sequence of importance. I dont want to buy an rs200 turbo kit i want to build my own.. I know i'll have to fabricate the manifold.. Looking for around 400rwhp. You guys with turbo experence with the beams engine im begging for your help.. And please no uncontructive comments we are here to help each other. Thanks

Vanter
Noob!

Re: TURBO CHECKLIST!!

Postby Vanter » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:19 am

Just wanna add that i'll be buying the parts peice by peice which is why i want the checklist in order of importance... Links to specific items would also be really helpful.. Lets make this thread into a real useful "Go To Article" so to speak.

tomo
Altezza Guru

Postby tomo » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:36 am

400hp will be a fair bit of work a rough idea of bits you will want;
Either low comp stroker kit or uprated pistons and rods
Large injectors, sorry not sure of size but would guess at 700cc
Return fuel system and adjustable fuel pressure reg
Ecu for example Apexi power fc or similar
Custom manifold
Turbo, I would guess a td05 or gt30 or similar.
A suitable intercooler and pipework.

The best people on here to talk to about it would be either ROBIN H or SOILED as they're cars are both running around 400hp.

tomo
Altezza Guru

Postby tomo » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:41 am

Sorry I would post links to where to get all the bits but I really don't have time to find them right now but you can find links to most parts on here.
Nick the site trader is also very good for parts, he can supply the majority of bits needed including rods and pistons at a very good price (probably best you will find).

This maybe helpful too http://z4.invisionfree.com/lexusaltezza ... topic=7121

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Postby Soiled » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:27 pm

Cams (Toda)
Valve springs
Forged pistons/Rods (Nick the site trader does a good deal on some)
Turbo/wastegate combo (to give you an idea of turbo sizing with the Garrett GT2871r .64 internally gated I made 370rwhp @1.2 bar, with GT3076 .64 and external wastegate made 476rwhp @1.6 bar, also with turbo choice you could go for a GT2871r with a .84 housing and will probably be able to crack the 400hp and have a good responsive set up)
Bigger fuel pump (Bosch 044 or similar)
Return fuel lines and fuel pressure reg
Aftermarket ecu (Depends on what your tuner is happy with, would try get one that has the ability to go MAFless, Link/Motec etc, if you get something that needs a MAF like the powerfc you may spend some time trying different MAFs to get one that will tune nice)
Intercooler and piping
Intake and filter
3" dump pipe/exhaust
While it's all apart may aswell go for ACL race bearings etc too.
ARP headstuds
If you're going for high hp you want a relatively long good flowing designed tubular exhaust manifold
A good twin plate clutch/flywheel combo (OS Giken etc)
Big injecters (I maxed out 550cc, 650cc and 750ccs before I commited and got Injecter dynamics IDA1000s (1000ccs))
Oil cooler is a good thing to have but not needed.
As much cooling/heatproofing as you can do in the engine bay.
A BOV (up to personal choice on that one but still get a well known brand as always)

As with anything there will be alot of trial and error with your build as you're trying to push it quite abit further than most people.
Moving the battery to the boot is not a silly idea either, as the turbo sits right by it which can have some not so fun consequences (My battery caught fire in Feb destroying the battery and making a good mess of the loom/relay box)
If you are going for a full wire in ECU try moving it into the cabin, two benefits 1. Gets the ECU out of a hot enviroment 2. gives you a nice place to put your intake filter if you are going MAP.

Vanter
Noob!

Postby Vanter » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:29 pm

WOW Soiled very helpful.. Thanks alot

twiglett-RS200
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby twiglett-RS200 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:22 pm

now that was a good helpful post.
the other important things you need are time and money.
building a 400hp 3sge doesn`t happen quickly and there are bound to be hidden expenses that haven`t been accounted for.

I dont think a standard gearbox will last long with more than 350hp and a harsh twin plate clutch.

I killed mine and my clutch at about 300hp and the clutch plate was sprung so it didnt shock the transmission too much.
look on yahoo japan auctions for altezza bits because some absolute bargains can be found if your prepared to take the risk of buying without seeing the item.
oh and good luck with the build. make sure you start up a project thread because it sounds pretty awesome.

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Postby Soiled » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:39 am

The gearbox can handle alot more than people give them credit for. Keep up to date with regular oil changes and don't slam through gear changes and you can get a decent run out of them. I've only dropped one so far and that was a combination of being sat for a year while I was in the UK and a terrible gear change. Also in the case of NZ a gearbox is pretty cheap to replace compared to clutch or diff. Always good to plan in a weak point to save more expensive items. The R154 with remote shifter and a custom bellhousing is a good option if you are worried about the gearbox though.

And yes time and money are both very important! Always remember;
Cheap, fast, reliable
You can only pick two.

Vanter
Noob!

Postby Vanter » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:24 am

Can the apexi power fc control the vvti? If so is it a good investment? Reasons why and or why not.. Thank you

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Postby Soiled » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:45 am

It can, and pros are that it's straight plug and play, alot of tuners are familiar with it, relatively cheap for a full stand alone.

Cons, doesn't support MAP only with our cars, with age can develop a stalling fault, think they may now be obsolete (not 100% on this).

I've been running one for years and can't complain too much about it. If I could justify it I'd change to the new Link G4+ plug and play though.

shovon
Noob!

Postby shovon » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:39 pm

is it true that turbo charger can make the engine more fuel efficient and still gives a decent boost???

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Postby Soiled » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:32 am

You won't get more mileage per tank, but technically it's volumetric efficiency is better. If you want better fuel efficiency an aftermarket Ecu and a tune can achieve this while maybe gaining alittle bit of power.

shovon
Noob!

Postby shovon » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:16 pm

Soiled wrote:You won't get more mileage per tank, but technically it's volumetric efficiency is better. If you want better fuel efficiency an aftermarket Ecu and a tune can achieve this while maybe gaining alittle bit of power.

thnx for this suggestion. :D
.. btw which edu will do the work best???? and how much more mileage can i get??

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Postby Soiled » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:53 am

Best bet is to talk to the person that will tune your car, as they will be the ones that have to deal with the ECU so would be ideal for them to have the one they are most comfortable with. For just tuning fuel and timing maps a piggy back ECU would probably be enough (GReddy E-manage, Apexi SAFC, HKS FCON, etc)

shovon
Noob!

Postby shovon » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:58 pm

Soiled wrote:Best bet is to talk to the person that will tune your car, as they will be the ones that have to deal with the ECU so would be ideal for them to have the one they are most comfortable with. For just tuning fuel and timing maps a piggy back ECU would probably be enough (GReddy E-manage, Apexi SAFC, HKS FCON, etc)

thnx 4 the suggestion .. :)

Return to “Engine & Transmission section”