Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Genuine oil filter vs Aftermarket

Post info/questions on engine mods and issues here
E910
Altezza Guru

Re: Genuine oil filter vs Aftermarket

Postby E910 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:44 am

I opened up the Cusco I'd run on the Altezza yesterday. It's very solid & well made. It even has a little magnet built into the top housing. The filter medium looks to be quite thick & the pleats are evenly spaced although quite far apart. I assume this is to aid flow but potentially means less filtration capacity. Still my engine is pretty spotless inside as you can see. If I was heading to the track I wouldn't hesitate to use a Cusco filter again but for everyday use OEM is more than adequate.

*EDIT*
So I've just found out from another forum (BITOG) that the Cusco filter has a synthetic media rather than paper. High quality stuff.
Last edited by E910 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

mlcoolj
Altezza Guru

Postby mlcoolj » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:00 am

Good stuff! Thx for sharing!

FrankReece
Noob!

Postby FrankReece » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:14 pm

Well I have been using aftermarket parts in my car, whether its filter or anything, truly don’t have any complaint yet. But the thing that matters is to find the reliable vendor to purchase them. I have searched lot over internet, found so many website, but after using the product of iautobodyparts, never needed to see other sites. That’s because they only sell high quality aftermarket parts at affordable price. I believe some people will call my post as a promotional, but truly I have nothing to do with this site. I have just mentioned their name since I am using them; instead you can see other reliable aftermarket part selling sites too. Aftermarket car parts are truly not bad as you think.

E910
Altezza Guru

Postby E910 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:58 am

:lol: Thanks for spaming my thread FrankReece.

Anyway haven't been on here for a while, got a promotion at work & my 2 year old son both keep me very busy.
Still found time to chop open a few more filters, this time another genuine Toyota made by Denso in Japan off the 4AGE (LH), genuine Toyota made my Denso in Thailand (CTR) & Fram Extra Guard (orange can of death) (RH). As you can see Fram Extra Guard lives up to it reputation. Very low build quality, less filter media & thin metal can. Avoid using them if you can.

Also cut open a WIX 57145 I ran on the 4AGE a while back. WIX are my favourite aftermarket brand readily available here in NZ. As you can see they are very well made & have a nominal micro filtration rating of 20. Most genuine filters are only rated at 30-40 microns!

I'm currently running a WIX XP filter on the Altezza with Motul 300V 5W30. I'll be cutting that one open soon then I've got a TRD filter to try & that will be getting opened up as well. Wouldn't mind getting my hands on a Purple Royal filter at some stage too. Subscribe to this topic for updates if you're interested.

Return to “Engine & Transmission section”