Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

altezza timing belt snapped

Post info/questions on engine mods and issues here
blacktoprs200
Trc On!

altezza timing belt snapped

Postby blacktoprs200 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:43 am

hello tezza world im new to the site. i own a 2000 altezza rs200 auto and the timing belt has snapped :twisted: basically i was driving home and as soon as i parked up a few seconds later the car cut off. i tried starting it a couple times but it was making a very odd noise while turning over and wouldnt start. i had a mechanic come down and after having a look he told me straight away timing belt was snapped. ive moved it to the garage and they will have a look on monday. im sure some valves have been bent but any ideas what else is likely to be broken?? whats parts do i need and whats it going to cost?

banan1984
Altezza Guru

Re: altezza timing belt snapped

Postby banan1984 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:03 pm

First of all stick up an intro in newbie section before Your post will be deleted. About the car, You are in big trouble mate..
D700 / RS200

blacktoprs200
Trc On!

Postby blacktoprs200 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:31 pm

right how do i stick up an intro in newbie section?? im new to the site and still getting used 2 it so bare with me..... :?

Damok

Postby Damok » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:46 pm

click here on the link and post an into viewforum.php?f=14

Also, its might work out easier to put another engine in :?
Newbie click the link, $ $ $ $ $
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

blacktoprs200
Trc On!

Postby blacktoprs200 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:51 pm

i think ive dont the intro and put my pics up so now back to the car. i dont know whether to fix this engine or replace it. what would you guys advise and whats the cheaper option? ive had a look for another engine but cant seem to find 1 under a grand. theres a local garage called nippon autos in derby that can supply me all the parts but they have unrealistic prices!

Damok

Postby Damok » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:05 pm

Get onto nick the site trader on here about parts :wink:
Newbie click the link, $ $ $ $ $
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

Lewis Altezza
Trc Off

Postby Lewis Altezza » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:10 pm

Look on donedeal Ireland, the 3sge engines pop up on there from time to time ive seen engines range from £350, 500 and some asking a grand.
But im sure youll pick up a replacement motor for £300-500 no probs.
You can of course rebuild it down to you, but you on earth did you not have the cam belt done in the first place?

blacktoprs200
Trc On!

Postby blacktoprs200 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:11 pm

well when i bought the car it had recipts for timingbelt at 50,000 miles. its on 88,000 miles now and to be fair i do have a heavy right foot and love to drive it fast. i was planning on doing all the belts on the next major service but thats not gonna happen now! :(

Lewis Altezza
Trc Off

Postby Lewis Altezza » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:16 pm

Hmm I see, I changed mine as soon as I got the car regardless if its been done recently.
Although a belt can have a varied lifespan.
Quickest and cheapest is source another motor and slowly rebuild your old one as spare...

blacktoprs200
Trc On!

Postby blacktoprs200 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:42 pm

yeh i shouldve changed it as soon as i bought it. ive told the garage to take their time with the car so we dont rush in 2 anything. going to shop around till i find the right engine or parts. might just get an is200 for time being as theres a few around my area for under a grand. but wanted 2 ask what parts do u think ill need 2 replace on the current engine worse comes 2 worse. i know valves are bent for sure but will confirm that on monday. also from experience i dont trust what many garages say, this is 1 of the reasons i signed on to the site as i know ill be getting the correct information from people who know what theyre talking about.

Lewis Altezza
Trc Off

Postby Lewis Altezza » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:44 pm

Make sure all valve guides are ok, if so your going to need to replace all the bent valves.
You will need to check for any damage to the crown on the piston, top face, if marked depending on how bad it is you can re use, although personally replace...
Full headgasket kit which will include new valve stem seals/gasket/ bolts (possible to re use old head bolts providing they are in spec) also check condition of valve springs, replace if needed (advise)

ryansss
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby ryansss » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:16 pm

I have an engine in the UK but south. Running still in car. It's a manual but I'm looking to shift everything and 500 my way would get engine gearbox and ecu but you are still a way from me. Timing belt done 2k ago clocks read 98k but unsure how much of that is km.

blacktoprs200
Trc On!

Postby blacktoprs200 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:51 pm

ryanss send me your number and il give u call or u can take myne?

blacktoprs200
Trc On!

Postby blacktoprs200 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:53 pm

Lewis Altezza - thanks for that i appreciate it! ill follow it up and get back to you, should be sometime in the next week hoperfuly

mike_01
Altezza Guru

Postby mike_01 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:58 am

Check to make sure they are gone first as you might be lucky, if you were driving the car and doing high rpm then you would totaled the engine, but I have heard of few people having the same as you and getting away with it
you could always look into doing an engine swap for sr20 or if you like the 1UZ-FE - 2UZ-FE -
3UZ-FE engine 1 being the oldest and 3 being the newest v8 engines,
another option is to buy new car as you can now pick up an altezza for around 1k may need bit or work but you would have a donor car and then break it when finished with it

Return to “Engine & Transmission section”