Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

SPARK PLUG WIRES? PICS

Post info/questions on engine mods and issues here
Uwan
Noob!

SPARK PLUG WIRES? PICS

Postby Uwan » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:50 am

Hello,

My name is Uwan and I'm currently in the US Navy stationed in Okinawa Japan. Just picked up this blue Altezza for great price ($3k).

Anyways, can anyone tell me why someone would add spark plug wires to coil packs if that's not how it came from the factory? Are there any performance gains from this setup? My engine is the only one I've seen with spark plug wires and the coils mounted externally. As soon as my car goes through JCI on Tuesday I plan to remove the wire and put the coils back where they belong. I think it looks much cleaner.

Thanks fellows!

tezzax
Trc Off

Re: SPARK PLUG WIRES? PICS

Postby tezzax » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:41 pm

It is to lower the risk of damaging the coils, so they are fitted outside, so that the heat/humidity don't damage them. because the heat/humidity is also a damaging factor for the coils.

twiglett-RS200
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby twiglett-RS200 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:08 pm

do the coils fit in the original location.
i have seen this done when the coils have broken and the owner couldn`t get hold of any that fitted so he bodged a similar setup together.

Uwan
Noob!

Postby Uwan » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:50 pm

I'm not sure if the coils fit the original location yet. Because there is nothing wrong with the car I was waiting to do my JCI inspection Tuesday and then start tinkering with it. Just in case something funky happens. Tezzax thanks for the response. I'm going to price out how much it cost to get a coil pack here in Japan. If its affordable then I think I'd rather stick them back in.

tezzax
Trc Off

Postby tezzax » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:36 pm

It's to keep them away from heat damage. Yes the cables sit in their proper places, these are NOLOGY HOTWIRES kit for the ALTEZZA SXE10

Lewis Altezza
Trc Off

Postby Lewis Altezza » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:53 pm

They look like original coils to me, Id say tezzax is bang on the money, its more than likely to preserve them...

Uwan
Noob!

Postby Uwan » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:03 pm

Thanks for the feedback fellows. I'm still on the fence weather I should remove the wires are not. I do like the clean look but I don't want to have to buy new coils soon. Plus the car runs so damn strong (for what it is) I'd hate to mess with anything.

I lowered the car and installed 2 subs today. I'm thinking about starting a build thread.

tezzax
Trc Off

Postby tezzax » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:14 pm

Its just a kit for changing the coils original position, the coils themselves are the stock altezza coils, these are just cables to change the position of where they sit to keep em outside the cover for better ventilation.

Uwan
Noob!

Postby Uwan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:38 pm

Just to give you guys some feed back. I removed the spark plug wires from the car today and the car ran like crap. It idled fine but would break up (sputter) under acceleration. I had to put it back how it was when I got the car. I find this interesting because there is no reason why I should need the spark plug wires. The only difference is that the wires have a small spring between the coil and plug wires. The spring didn't fit between just the coils and the spark plugs (I think a springs goes there) so I put the coils in directly on top of the plugs with out a spring.

Can someone confirm that there is or isn't a spring that goes inside of the cols to make contact with the plugs?

Uwan
Noob!

Postby Uwan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:10 pm

If I had to guess I'm assuming I'm missing some kind of rubber booth that would hold the spring in place. Or the factory springs are thinker than the ones that were used for the plug wires.

Uwan
Noob!

Postby Uwan » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:36 am

I went to the junk yard and picked up 4 extra coils. It turns out I was right. There was a rubber boot missing. The factory springs are also shorter and thicker. I'll post up pics later in case this info helps some one out in the future.

tezzax
Trc Off

Postby tezzax » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:08 pm

Yes there was a rubber boot missing on the end of the coil, the previous owner had probably removed it in order to link it up with the red wires. If I was you I would have left that setup as it was since the car was running nicely, cuz in that setup it was kept outside so they could be better preserved away from the heat damage.

Uwan
Noob!

Postby Uwan » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:58 pm

I hated how cluttered it made the engine bay look. I'm stationed in Okinawa and Altezzas are everywhere. I just picked up 4 used coils from the junk yard for $20 just to have spares. I will say I lost a bit of throttle response though, especially down low in the power band.

HKS200
Trc On!

Postby HKS200 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:24 am

very interesting find, wonder why it makes such a difference

Uwan
Noob!

Postby Uwan » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:09 pm

Here is a pic with the rubber boot that was missing.

Here is after I was done. Much cleaner IMO

Return to “Engine & Transmission section”