Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

3SGE dropping revs.

Post info/questions on engine mods and issues here
HKS200
Trc On!

3SGE dropping revs.

Postby HKS200 » Mon May 21, 2012 12:41 am

hey everyone my beams motor has a apexi intake and idles perfectly when you start it up initially however sometimes after a quick drive. It will drop revs to around 300ish RPM and bump back up to the proper idle rpm. car smells a bit rich too. The car doesn't get driven much since it isn't road registered and the battery on it is flat 99% of the time until recently when i gave the battery a good charge. Could it be a dirty MAF? or the ECU relearning? Just would like to diagnose it before I swap it over to my IS200.

cheers

moomoo
Altezza Guru

Re: 3SGE dropping revs.

Postby moomoo » Mon May 21, 2012 9:23 am

Once the car warms up properly the revs will fall so I wouldn't be too worried if its not stalling. However the revs should be staying steady and not rising and falling.

Cleaning the MAF won't hurt and you may end up with a more responsive car, and while your at it, take off the intake and clean the throttle body. There is a guide somewhere on this site if your unsure about cleaning anything

yamahatezza
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby yamahatezza » Mon May 21, 2012 10:15 am

plus id reset the ecu if i was you just to let it re adapt the the cleaned components and re learn idle state.

HKS200
Trc On!

Postby HKS200 » Mon May 21, 2012 10:17 am

awesome thanks for the info guys.

ESXTEZZ
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby ESXTEZZ » Mon May 21, 2012 11:20 am

From what I've worked out the ecu doesn't like the increase in intake temps, it has the same effect with a lot of other motors aswell.
Give the airflow meter a clean and reset the ecu, but also see the difference between the car idling when when warm withe bonnet open and then closed.
How do you know its running rich ? Have you put a wideband on it

HKS200
Trc On!

Postby HKS200 » Mon May 21, 2012 11:38 am

ESXTEZZ wrote:From what I've worked out the ecu doesn't like the increase in intake temps, it has the same effect with a lot of other motors aswell.
Give the airflow meter a clean and reset the ecu, but also see the difference between the car idling when when warm withe bonnet open and then closed.
How do you know its running rich ? Have you put a wideband on it

oh right, nah I haven't tried running a wideband on it. It smells a bit rich thats all. I'm not sure what fuel is in it either.

Damok

Postby Damok » Mon May 21, 2012 11:46 am

I have the same problem for the last 2or more years. I have put in a new maf sensor, cleaned the old one and the new one still the same. I but a whole new T/B and sensors on it and its the same thing. I reset ecu loads of times, and I upgraded the battery its still doing it also had it on the computer to see if there was any fault codes and none at all was fine..
I have spoke to so many people and everyone has different opinions on what it could be but no one knows for sure. . I had my car on a dyno and its over fueling so could be part of the probelm I guess. .
Newbie click the link, $ $ $ $ $
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

HKS200
Trc On!

Postby HKS200 » Mon May 21, 2012 12:02 pm

well my car has had it's timing belt changed (according to sticker) and I did do some searches on google. It comes up as possible gunk in the throttle body and maybe some old vacuum hoses that have a leak or need tightening. Otherwise motor drives fine.

HKS200
Trc On!

Postby HKS200 » Fri May 25, 2012 2:21 pm

ok I removed the SAFCII and the car seems to idle fine now however is running extremely rich (enough to make my eye water) so either the cat is gone or the fuel in the car is wrong (sincerely hope not). Maybe it just needs a nice rev to blow out all the cob webs :S

Return to “Engine & Transmission section”