Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Apexi power fc Vs haltech

Post info/questions on engine mods and issues here
G-TECroscommon
Altezza Guru

Apexi power fc Vs haltech

Postby G-TECroscommon » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:51 pm

im looking for some info on ECUs, iv gotten an apexi power fc turbo ecu, but i want to know if its the best ecu for my turbo project or is there better ? how about Paul c's Haltech ecu ? i want ALOT of power but iv got no idea about them

paul c
Tezza Fanatic!

Re: Apexi power fc Vs haltech

Postby paul c » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:35 pm

Not just because i have one now ha but haltech is far more superior man, you can get rid of your maf has all modern features anti lag, rotational idle, launch control and pretty sure more than one map can be stored

power fc are pretty dated but will still do the job for u lad but im.pretty sure it will restrict you on power maybe a few of the lads with power fc can come on and fight there corner ha ha

Squire
Altezza Guru

Postby Squire » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:18 pm

I'll back up Paul's ECU as i have it aswell....Much more superior to the power fc!!

More expensive but worth the difference in the long run!! :D
CAUTION!!....1 JZ Conversion under Construction!!

TEZMANIAN DEVIL!!

TOC Link- http://toyotaownersclub-irl.forumotion.com/u3- http://www.bebo.com/Pip_Dunne

tomo
Altezza Guru

Postby tomo » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:53 pm

Power fc is good bang for buck and gets the job done. I have had no issues but I know the maf is a limiting factor, although robin h is using a pfc still with maf and his car is 330 rwhp (so probably about 360-370 at the flywheel).

I know the haltec is much better and more advanced but also more money but if you're planning BIG power might be the better way to go.

What turbo/turbo kit you going to be using?

Best person to talk to is probably whoever you're going to get to map the car.

G-TECroscommon
Altezza Guru

Postby G-TECroscommon » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:55 pm

maybe i should try and sell my power fc first so and then il see if ya still have it paul :)

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Postby Soiled » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:37 am

PowerFC wont hold you back on power. You can run MAP and MAF on it. I have done this to get 370rwhp turbo being the limiting factor.

Not saying the haltech isn't better. Just that any tuneable ecu can get any horsepower aslong as the engine build can do it.

G-TECroscommon
Altezza Guru

Postby G-TECroscommon » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:55 am

well at the moment i have a hks turbo kit with a garret gt28r ballbearing turbo and im getting paul c's 2.2 forged beams engine

tomo
Altezza Guru

Postby tomo » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:28 pm

Sounds good, what you hoping for? 400hp?

Soiled wrote:PowerFC wont hold you back on power. You can run MAP and MAF on it. I have done this to get 370rwhp turbo being the limiting factor.

Not saying the haltech isn't better. Just that any tuneable ecu can get any horsepower aslong as the engine build can do it.

I was thinking about this but I don't know of anyone else that's done it so I'm not sure whether you can do it with every altezza power fc.

ESXTEZZ
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby ESXTEZZ » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:14 pm

Im running a power fc, i will be using a maf and map sensor and will be making over 400 whp.
The only restriction will be the person tuning the cars.

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Postby Soiled » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:11 pm

I'm using an NA PowerFC and it's fine. There should be three pins on the bottom of one of the sides (Left from memory). People told me it wouldn't work and I f*** around for ages getting STI MAFs to run which maxed out, then went to a 300zx one and had nothing but problems trying to tune it by itself. Have left the 300zx flow meter in there and running with a MAP sensor for on boost, but would have been much better with the factory MAF and a MAP.

The biggest thing is to get a tuner who knows what they are doing, and knows the ecu you are using. I have messed around far too much with people that don't know what they're doing. Better to pay the big bucks and go to a high profile tuner as they got that profile for a reason and the tune is the only thing saving your car at the end of the day.

G-TECroscommon
Altezza Guru

Postby G-TECroscommon » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:02 am

sounds good, well iv been google-ing tuners in ireland but of course they all say that they are the best :lol: any advice on who would be the best for the job ?

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Postby Soiled » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:20 am

Well I can't help you with Ireland as I'm from New Zealand haha :p

best bet is to talk to as many as possible whether through emails or phone to find out what there experience is like with your ecu/have the correct software.

And hopefully you get some suggestions from local members.

If you're going for big power look for a hub dyno too just to avoid traction issues... Spent hours messing around with that myself (was axel tramping like mad on rolling roads) until I decided on the hub dyno. Came out with some hilarious looking graphs though.

paul c
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby paul c » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:07 pm

I know in my opinion the best in ireland he road mapped my.last car and plenty other cars i know an not one complaint yet
he will meet ya then in the dyno room and fine tune it along with another check on the road
he rents the dyno thats why its not all done on the dyno but im not a fan of dyno mapping i had a car that was detting mad after being perfect on the dyno but everyone has different opinions on the matter

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Postby Soiled » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:39 pm

A good dyno place will take you out for a road test after to make adjustments to cruising/partial throttle fuelling.

The dyno is the best place to tune as you can set and hold loads and revs to get everything correct where as you can't hold loads on open road unless you have an unlimited straight piece of road.

But as with any tool it's the operator that makes or breaks it.

Either way works fine though if the tuner is good.

Robin H
Southern England Rep

Postby Robin H » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:23 pm

both sides seem to be covered

I think it depends what you want out of your ecu and who you get to fit and map it
Deals on Anodised Altezza parts.... cooling panels and battery bars..

If you are a UK member and interested in club meets please sign up here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7729

Please Support TezzaWorld
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8309

Club stickers
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8724

Blitz Turbo Altezza RS220
I wish I had more time.....

Return to “Engine & Transmission section”