Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

My 98 Altezza RS200Z

Once you've introduced yourself why not throw up a few pictures of your car or a project thread?
KwS
Noob!

My 98 Altezza RS200Z

Postby KwS » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:03 am

Hi

Im Kelvin, and i live in Christchurch in New Zealand. A couple of days ago i purchased my 27th car, a 1998 Toyota Altezza RS200Z 6 speed.

Needs a bit of work to tidy it up, but ive got a new bumper on its way and have a hookup for getting the front (bumper, bonnet and guards) all painted nicely.

It came with a couple of basic mods,

A trd panel filter
Cusco front strut brace
headers
exhaust
adjustables
18" SSA "New Mesh" wheels

Its fantastic to drive, very comfortable. Wish it had a little more power, but ill get used to that (coming from many powerful turbo cars in the past).

Anyway, a pic or two of how it was when i got it.

Last edited by KwS on Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

KwS
Noob!

Re: My 98 Altezza RS200Z

Postby KwS » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:10 am

Picked up my new bumper yesterday, as the Gita bumper on it was stuffed (and ugly imo).

The new wheels and paint are on the back burner a little at the moment, as there is a LOT of servicing needed on this thing.

Tomorrow im booked in for a thermostat change, as i cant be bothered contorting myself to get it out and change it (takes years to get up to temp). Ill also be doing the rocker cover gaskets as they are leaking, and spark plugs. Swapping to my sony headunit, and finding out why the front speakers are failing to work too.

Im hoping the change of plugs, and checking the coils for failure (or even oil in the spark plug wells possibly) will fix the issue ive got at the moment. Anything over half throttle, and it misfires like mad.

I need a new air filter, as the TRD one is unfortunately past is usable life, not to mention somehow there was a fair bit of oil on the dirty side of the airbox, which the filter was sitting in for gosh know how long.

The transmission and diff need oil changes too, so ill sort that next week if i have time.

Its gonna be a mission, but itll be worth it in the end.

moomoo
Altezza Guru

Postby moomoo » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:37 am

KwS wrote:Im hoping the change of plugs, and checking the coils for failure (or even oil in the spark plug wells possibly) will fix the issue ive got at the moment. Anything over half throttle, and it misfires like mad.

You should probably clean the MAF sensor with electrical contact cleaner as it can cause your car to run sluggish

KwS
Noob!

Postby KwS » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:15 am

forgot to mention, cleaned the MAF. made a difference, but the misfire is still there (and massive)

Damok

Postby Damok » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:14 pm

Misfire sounds like dirty plugs or even coil packs. .

Keep us up dated with your progress with the car :D
Newbie click the link, $ $ $ $ $
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

Daantezza
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby Daantezza » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:12 am

Good luck working on your car.

KwS
Noob!

Postby KwS » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:56 am

Changed the thermostat, rocker cover gaskets and spark plugs today. No cracks in the coils.

I also reset the ECU.

Now im getting the definite misfire from 5000rpm onwards still, thinking it might be VVTI related? But im also getting misfire when i load the engine up a bit at lower rpm. Will rev to redline happily at 1/4 throttle, but anything over that and it'll stutter, pop, backfire etc.

This is starting to get REALLY freakin annoying.
Last edited by KwS on Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

KwS
Noob!

Postby KwS » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:40 am

Just cleaned the AFM again, as a last ditch attempt.... had a look inside it at the wee sensor wires, and sure enough, i had missed a pinhead sized lump of dirt on the sensor. Feck.

It wouldnt budge when sprayed, which is how i missed it yesterday. Used a cotton bud, and got it all shiny.

Went for a test drive, and HOLY s@3!. revs straight to redline, WOT, gives an angry crackle from 1st to 2nd gear, and keeps tripping traction control now.

First time driving this at full potential, and my god its a WAY under rated engine.

KwS
Noob!

Postby KwS » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:01 am

Fitted my headunit today, and removed the one the car came with.

All the factory wires were cut and bullet connectors put in place instead >_<

There is an amp under the passengers seat, and there was at some point an amp under the drivers seat which has now been removed. The amp still there is driving the sub in the boot. I think the one there used to run the speakers, and the one thats been removed was used to run the sub, and the wires from amp to sub come out from under the carpet on the drivers side.

Sadly, they had decided to run the wires to the passengers side by just going over the hump behind the center console.... where anyone can just pull on it etc. I ran that cable up under the center console, so you cant even notice its there now.

The front speakers werent previously going. I didnt find out exactly why, but it could be becuase the speaker wires went from factory wiring in dash, under the center console, up under the passengers seat to a chocolate block connector, where it joined to yet another cable which came back under the center console, up back to the headunit in the dash. big loop, no reason. o_O

I got a good handful of wires pulled out that it didnt need, and tidied it all up nicely. All speakers now go, yay. Headunit also fits in the dash better, and the dash pocket now has screws in to hold it (previously was just sitting there)

I also took some time to give the engine bay a quick clean, and polish the strut brace before refitting.

choopz
Altezza Guru

Postby choopz » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:59 pm

Nice job buddy, keep up the good work :wink:
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

KwS
Noob!

Postby KwS » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:20 am

Turns out when the mechanic changed the thermostat, something went wrong... now the hose is leaking and i cant get to the hose clamp to see if it needs tightening >_<

Gonna ring them tomorrow and get them to fix it.

KwS
Noob!

Postby KwS » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:39 am

The leaking coolant was indeed a loose hose clamp, so all is well. Been putting on some decent ks lately too.

Took all the wheels off today, and refitted, making sure to center the wheel and spacers correctly. This is fixed about 90% of the shake. Only got a little shake at around 80-90km, then it goes away above that, which ill put down to a bad balance on one wheel.

Not going to replace the wheels now, as they have grown on me a lot... gonna get the front end fixed up next.

Oh, also discovered its running on some decidedly average looking Tom's Advox Sport coilovers. http://www.tomsracing.co.jp/e/product/advox_sport.htm . They arent in the best condition, (very dirty, torn boots etc) but still seem to be doing their job ok.

Robin H
Southern England Rep

Postby Robin H » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:30 pm

Good work fella

Keep us posted on what else you get up to
Deals on Anodised Altezza parts.... cooling panels and battery bars..

If you are a UK member and interested in club meets please sign up here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7729

Please Support TezzaWorld
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8309

Club stickers
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8724

Blitz Turbo Altezza RS220
I wish I had more time.....

Return to “Member's Cars / Projects”