Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Altezza turbo project (Ireland)

Once you've introduced yourself why not throw up a few pictures of your car or a project thread?
Trd Shane
Tezza Fanatic!

Re: Altezza turbo project (Ireland)

Postby Trd Shane » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:43 pm

Yeah I had low compression on cyclinder two and three but that was down to valves leaking and cyclinder two is perfect now compression the same across them all except cyc has 0 compression not even attempting to make any compression I'm suspecting a dropped valve or something stuck in the valve holding it open considering it ran perfect for 30-45 mins ..

The weird thing is if i start it it runs on there cyclinders but if I hold the revs at like 3,000 rpm cyclinder three seems to come back to life and it runs smooth no miss fire then when I let it idle again it drops cyclinder three and starts missing on that cyclinder again it's strange ??
"If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem"

RS Tom-Hundred
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby RS Tom-Hundred » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:06 pm

That is very weird! Hope you find the issue easily mate :)

What compression figures did you get on good cylinders by the way? Just want to compare as all mine seemed pretty good and consistent when I checked and were sitting around 160 PSi. (lowest 158, two at 160 and the highest at 165)

Trd Shane
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby Trd Shane » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:54 pm

Two of mine where 170 psi and two where 165 psi cyclinder 2-3 where 165 and they where the two with leaking valves the others where ok .. I suspect you have a slight valve leak if yours a 158ish

Yeah my head is melted with this altezza it's been a fairly unlucky car .. Maybe it doesn want to be turbo hahaha

starletburkie
Trc Off

Postby starletburkie » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:26 am

Sounds like ring lands on the piston are cracked

RS Tom-Hundred
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby RS Tom-Hundred » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:23 am

Cheers Shane :-) Seems mine aren't too far out then, especially from my higher mileage engine. Depending how much work I have to do I'll take it from there. If I can do the work I need to from the bottom working up then I'll probavly leave them but if I need to have the head apart I'll deffo do them :-)

Stones
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby Stones » Tue May 19, 2015 4:01 pm

any update on this build? hoping to go down the turbo route with my own in the coming months upgrading my wheels and coilivers atm
nice build with nice parts was planing on going custom manifold with 3071r turbo with the fordged internals from nick looked into the 2.2 toda stroker low comp kit but is it worth the extra money when more boost on forged internals will get you similar power?

could ya send me on where you order the parts from in japan? rhdjapan only one iv seen

best of luck hopefully seen around ireland during the summer

paulotc
Noob!

Postby paulotc » Sat May 30, 2015 1:12 pm

you can get all those parts from nick but RHDJapan or Nengun.com that's were you will get any of those parts or just order through nick. Not sure how often shane is on this but he's preoccupied with his 180 track car .. as far as i know he got as far as getting it mapped....A mate of mine may have a turbo kit for sale soon without the intercooler kit but will have to double check...i got my down pipe through him and alot of parts off him as well he's a trustworthy source too.

Trd Shane
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby Trd Shane » Sat May 30, 2015 8:05 pm

Hey guys sorry for the late update ..
Car is booked in for a map at the end of next month I had ran into a lot of problems with the head and valves and what not .. Long story short after I build the head car ran fine for about an hour and all of a sudden it dropped cylinder 3 .. After a lot of tinkering about I took cams back off and found that both intake valves on cylinder 3 had popped one collet and held the valve open so put the collets back in and ran without problems ever since .. So just wait for it to be mapped then it will be onto bigger and better ie forged or stroker kit . . As Paul said I'm up to my eyes with my drift build .. Currently building a 180sx drift car so trying to hop from the altezza to the 180 so now I'm back to the altezza as I can go no further with the 180 as of yet .. So I have been looking into doing a meth injection with forged internals that will be next I'd say

So after a while of been trying to get in touch with my mapper I've finally gotten threw to him and will be getting the car mapped

On an other note I've been told by Martin Tracey that you will see no more than 240bhp max out of these kits with the mods I have .. Seems a little low don't you think
And then I chanced tdp and was told that he could get me 330bhp with 1.1bar of boost with my setup and that seems a little high as I've read on numerous threads that the altezzas can only run 300bhp max @ about 10/11 psi safely ??? What yous think ??

I get all my parts from a friend of mine in japan that has gotten all my parts at really good prices and also sent over customs free

I've ordered off nengun and rhdjapan and have been caught with customs every time

Hopefully I can start getting back into the altezza and start modding again :)

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Postby Tosh21 » Sat May 30, 2015 10:33 pm

Ive never been caught by customs from rhd japan, does take FOREVER to get here though. Those power figures might be 240 whp instead of flywheel? 240 is way low, you can get that N/A.

I should be mapping next month too, bet you can't wait! Any chance of a few pics of the 180? Would be cool to see that bad boy, love those cars

Stones
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby Stones » Sun May 31, 2015 11:33 pm

Ya I've a sr20 ae86 booter drift car myself talk about a money pit ha wcp (west coast performance) mapped my drift car made a safe 323bhp I would recommend john highly he'll be doing custom mani and v band exhaust for mine when I safe up I'll problay get custom intercooler and inlet pipes from em too fabrication is top notch. Tdp tend to push engines too far from what I've heard but hear say

starletburkie
Trc Off

Postby starletburkie » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:21 pm

Wouldn't go near Martin Tracey or tdp man

Trd Shane
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby Trd Shane » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:52 pm

Yeah I thought 240 was low so I asked was that whp and he said no so was like ooooookkkk
Yeah I'll get some pics up of the 180 soon just stripping it at the minute ..
No I'm not going near tdp or Martin I'm going to ap performance (Angus ) I've dealt with him before and he's down to earth and is pretty good
He reckons 280/290 playing it safe

Rhd take forever but I dunno if it just must that the customs don't like me or something I dunno :lol:

Where's wcp based and have you number for him ??
Worth giving him a call

starletburkie
Trc Off

Postby starletburkie » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:44 pm

Ya Aonghus done a few maps for me! Even went to another mapper up north for a tweek and he said the map that was on the car was very good

Trd Shane
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby Trd Shane » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:53 am

Update

Right the time had come to map the car so I got a date which was the 25th of July .. So I got down there and when I arrived I started to install the boost controller and afm .. Then drove it up onto the dyno and while the mapper was doing all the strapping down and pluging in his laptop I tackled installing the injectors .. So installed them all perfect and was ready to go so he turned on the ignition and was checking that he was getting readings on relevant sensors and all that .. So few moments passed and he went to try start it .. Turned over twice and kicked twice then suddenly locked up .. My face dropped didn know what happened ... So took the coils and plugs out and the cyclinders where full with petrol drained the cyclinders and new plugs and put back together and for the next two hours it would not start was getting a spark but not getting a pulse to the injectors .. Then after about 2:5 hours we started to get a pulse to the injectors .. So put everything back to standard as in the injectors and afm and still no start checked everything again and the injectors wherent getting a signal again .. So the mapper suspected ecu was caput .. While I though alarm had acted up and immobilised the car .. My head was all over the place ... So we went and got a standard ecu of a lad down the road to see if the ecu was at fault .. Fitted that ecu and nothing still no start so at this stage my head was fried .. So I got a can of carb cleaner and took off the intake pipe and sprayed it into it while cranking and boom it started but about 5 litres of petrol had come up the intercooler and drowned me .. So that's why it wouldnt start .. So drained the intercooler and started the car it ran like crap at idle was running very lean it was off the scale it was that lean .. Even trying to rev the car it wouldn't Rev .. We had to add 320% Extra fuel at idle just to get the air fuel ratio right .. This is with standard injectors and afm .. So he just put a safe map on it to get me home but car is not running right at all .. I suspect bent rod .. I dunno I'm all out of ideas at this stage .. Car is just fighting me every step of the way ..

What you guys think bent rod ??

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Postby Tosh21 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:31 pm

ouch unlucky mate! If the rod was bent you would it hear knocking big time. Not sure why it hydrolocked (apart from the power fc being a twat again, did the fans come on at all or was it just injectors opened and stayed open? Were they brand new and what are they? Could be faulty maybe leaking or something? As for it running bad now, you definitely put them in properly? not sitting a bit funny and leaking from a o ring or something? Have you got the intercooler still hooked up too?

Although bending a rod is very likely when hydrolocking I think you'd see more problems than just lean afr's. Mine has hydrolocked twice now with that dam power fc and the first time I wasn't sure what the hell happened and tried to crank it, even put it in gear and tried pushing the car! Haven't bent anything (not that I know of anyway, im sure it would have caused me massive problems by now) probably just got very lucky but I reckon it takes a fair bit of force to bend a rod, imagine the force the rod sees when your on a power stroke.

Best of luck mate, I know exactly how you feel!

Return to “Member's Cars / Projects”