Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Help with front pipe and cat needed please

Any problems with your Altezza, post questions here
TSS Baz
Trc Off

Help with front pipe and cat needed please

Postby TSS Baz » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:16 pm

Hi folks,

I am pulling my hair out with this one but was hoping that someone can point me in the right direction or someone has had this prolem before.

I have an Auto RS200 and the cat/front pipe is blowing badly and beyond repair. I cant find a 2nd hand one anywhere and have phoned many exhaust places with no luck at all. Toyota will want over £650 for new if they can get it.

What have others done??? I have a company that may make me one up using the old flange but the cats then become the problem. Do the 2 cats have sensors??? what happens if they are not connected??? could I put a sports cat in and hope the emmissions are ok??? If you decat the car then what happens to the sensors then???

All these questions :shock: :shock:

Regards
http://WWW.TOYOTA-SPRINT-SERIES.COM

I'm all GT-Foured out now, Had 6 to date, "Beams" engined Altezza is all I need to keep me JDM, slammed of course ;-)

impartialise
Trc Off

Re: Help with front pipe and cat needed please

Postby impartialise » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:24 pm

http://cg.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V ... 0552370088

This guy down south is breaking an Altezza, not sure if its auto or not, but worth a shot.
Don't know exactly what will happen with no sensors, but cant imagine itll be good.

TSS Baz
Trc Off

Postby TSS Baz » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:21 pm

impartialise wrote:http://cg.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290552370088

This guy down south is breaking an Altezza, not sure if its auto or not, but worth a shot.
Don't know exactly what will happen with no sensors, but cant imagine itll be good.

Thanks for your help. I have managed to get Toyota down to £550 inc VAT so looks like I will save up for that as I know it will work, Shame I cant get a full stainless system, cant belive no one makes one for my car :(

I'm all GT-Foured out now, Had 6 to date, "Beams" engined Altezza is all I need to keep me JDM, slammed of course ;-)

mike_01
Altezza Guru

Postby mike_01 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:14 pm

could get a custom stainless one made, some links on ebay for an is200 custom exhaust made to fit, will be doing that when mine goes, cheaper than £550 think they were £300 for full system

tomo
Altezza Guru

Postby tomo » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:03 pm

I haven't actually seen an autO downpipe etc but I'm sure that a tuner or someone round you're way could make something up for less than that.

mike_01
Altezza Guru

Postby mike_01 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:32 am

tomo the manifold's the same as a manual, but the downpipes are different as the auto's have 2 cat's next to each other and 2 lamda sensors next to each cat, where the manuals don't as the cat is on the middle section.
Probally be easier to get rid of the cat's on the auto by getting a manual downpipe but need to keep the lamda sensors so a bit of work needed and buy a manual middle section with a cat, might be the cheaper option but more faffing involved with the lamda sensors unless you could join the 2 up together so you only have 1 sensor in the pipe but may need to extend the wires or if the manual sensor would strech that far, might work as long as there are 2 sensors signals going to the ecu if you know what I mean

tomo
Altezza Guru

Postby tomo » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:33 pm

Yes I see what you mean.

You could just get the manual downpipe and put a lambda sensor fitting in it which wouldn't be hard, you just need to make a hole the right size then weld in a lambda sensor fitting (the same on nearly every cars lambda sensor hole, so easy enough to get hold of one of a scrap car etc).

I do have a standard 6spd manual manifold and downpipe that I would sell but I imagine shipping to Ireland would be pricey.

impartialise
Trc Off

Postby impartialise » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:58 pm

tomo wrote: I would sell but I imagine shipping to Ireland would be pricey.

Kings Lynn is in Norfolk England :D

tomo
Altezza Guru

Postby tomo » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:15 am

Ahh yes your right it is :)
I didn't actually look :)

TSS Baz
Trc Off

Postby TSS Baz » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:48 am

Hi Folks,

Many thanks for your replys, I am currently looking at taking all the heatshielding off and having a new pipe made by Fensport. We noticed that the sensors are pre-cat so we could bin the cats and put a sports one in a bit further down and leave all the sensors as is. This may appear the cheapest/best option I will report back once further work has taken place. Full replacement standard pipe would still be easier though so still on lookout.

Regards

Robin H
Southern England Rep

Postby Robin H » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:07 am

Keep us informed

I sold my manual manifold to Possel who just welded in a new boss for the extra sensor, try pm'ing him and asking home what he done when fitting it.
Deals on Anodised Altezza parts.... cooling panels and battery bars..

If you are a UK member and interested in club meets please sign up here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7729

Please Support TezzaWorld
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8309

Club stickers
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8724

Blitz Turbo Altezza RS220
I wish I had more time.....

TSS Baz
Trc Off

Postby TSS Baz » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:39 pm

Well today was the day to sort this out.

Off to my mates garage (Fensport) nice and early. Tezz on ramp and ready to go...............

Jobs for the day.....

1, to remove blowing downpipe, repair/replace as required.
2, remove and replace drivers side lower ball joint.

we commence....................

Take off front pipe and remove all heatshielding to find all the weld joins blowing badly, this is a good result as these can be mended, but find one of the cats has fallen to bits so make the decision to remove both and replace with stainless tube.

Onto lower ball joint, nice and easy remove and refit using the great guide on here in the how to section :wink:

Finally everything back together and out for the test run. OMG the car sounds like a Civic Vetec, I have a blitz backbox and instead of a deep burble I have a high pitched shrill, sounds awesome @ redline but not to sure when just pootling about, maybe need a small mid box to slow things down a bit, will wait and see, but the pull of the car is soooooooo much better with the cats removed, they are such a huge restriction. I'm pretty pleased so far but time will tell.

Regards

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:30 pm

Oh tut tut dont say it sounds like a honda :lol:

Dont leave it to long to make up ur mind about the cat, if it left too long without doing the particles from it could block your exhaust meaning more trouble :wink: . I am presuming it the one lower to the ground in the pic it looks very red?

Robin H
Southern England Rep

Postby Robin H » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:01 pm

good work

is that a tezzaworld sticker I spy in the 1st shot
Deals on Anodised Altezza parts.... cooling panels and battery bars..

If you are a UK member and interested in club meets please sign up here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7729

Please Support TezzaWorld
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8309

Club stickers
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8724

Blitz Turbo Altezza RS220
I wish I had more time.....

TSS Baz
Trc Off

Postby TSS Baz » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:49 pm

Robin H wrote:good work

is that a tezzaworld sticker I spy in the 1st shot

Sure is :D and worn with pride :wink:

Can remember when this little beauty lived in this garage................... http://www.fensport.co.uk/FensportCars/ ... 00_SC.aspx

Regards

Return to “Problems with your Altezza”