Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

My Rant About My Car And NCT

Any problems with your Altezza, post questions here
Damok

My Rant About My Car And NCT

Postby Damok » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:13 am

Right were do i start :? , some on site know i had an idle problem with the car it was in it a while and i got it plugged in after trying everything and replacing a few bits under the bonnet . It showed NO fault codes car was running the same or a tad bit richer than another altezza that just passed the NCT :? :? So the guy that had the car plugged in found The breather pipe on the top of the engine had come off, So i put that back on. It improved my idel problem but didnt cure it :roll:

So the NCT was coming up and i got the car tracked yesterday, changed the wiper blades all sorted for the NCT. Drove to the NCT center an hour and a half away this moring for my test at 8.20 was at the test center at 8.00 (was up since before 6) , , all was good. Anyway your man at the desk couldnt get his head around the fact the car is down as a TOYOTA OTHER on the log book :roll: I told him it was an Altezza and he just looked at me :oops: and then i explained to him about the alarm and the anti hi-jack and he couldnt get his head around that either :twisted: So i had to write instructions on how it worked :roll: Ended up having to leave the car running outside for him, Anyway in the car went for the test. He was doing the Emissions test and off goes the alarm. So i went out to him and turned it of. He then tells me the emissions reading like a clock :| :| and he cant get a reading so i stand there for a min and he showd me the readings he was getting 0.31, 0.34 and so on :cry: So after 30secs he tells me it failed so fair enough i walk off. However He stays at it for 10-15mins trying to get a reading lower than 0.30vol (fair play to him) BUT no joy. :cry: :cry:
He did the rest of the test and it failed on a few small bits :( :(

It failed on Nearside Bip Beam (not by much)
It failed on Nearside Parking Break (not by much)

And it failed on the emissions as well reading was 0.35vol ABOVE 0.30vol is a fail. :cry: :cry:

Also tells me the back tyres are starting to wear just keep an eye on them even tho they wont fail the NCT :?

After the test then he then tells me he can see the car is mint and well looked after and that the car is Mechanically Perfect . . :wink: (one good thing ) But just NOT perfect enough to past the NCT :(

So i myself am getting fairly annoyed with Jap cars to say the least, There always problems with the emmossions on them. . The NCT staff look at them and are like oh No problems . .
Starting to loose all interest in cars if i'm honest. .

I know this rant is totaly pointless , BUT i just wanted a rant :lol: :lol:
Newbie click the link, $ $ $ $ $
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

Richie_c
Altezza Guru

Re: My Rant About My Car And NCT

Postby Richie_c » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:40 am

I dunno dude like the little things could be an issue in any car. The emmissions is your big issue really. I know my when I had the tezz it didnt have any issues with the NCT and I know Karl had it NCT recently before the sale with no issues.

I dont think its Jap cars its any car really. Although in saying that my own NCT is next week so I could be joining you in a rant next Thursday :lol:

I shouldn't be but we'll see
300 rwhp thanks to

Damok

Postby Damok » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:22 pm

is .05 alot to fail the emmisions by. A friend said i need another cat for the test. . Anyone know or have an idea.

griderjn
Trc On!

Postby griderjn » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:42 pm

take one of the exhaust seals out that is before the catalytic converter, so that you have an exhaust leak.
if they don't notice that, your emission will pass.
or get octane booster and the highest octane you can find,
put just enough fuel in the car to pass the test (i did read you drove an hour and a half).
these things have worked for me in the past.
1999 Silver Toyota Altezza RS200z with A'PEXi Power Intake, Fujitsubo SuperEX header, Kakimoto Regu 96dB-R muffler,
TRD Sports Catalyzer center pipe, TRD Quick shift lever, TRD Front/Rear Lower Suspension Brace Set,
TOM'S Side Frame Reinforcement Brace, TEIN Rear Performance Bar, TEIN Driving Spec Control Master Type Flex.

moomoo
Altezza Guru

Postby moomoo » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:25 pm

try diepetane for emissions

emmisions is so pointless anyway, the following weekend people will have decats back in.

Rob
Altezza Guru

Postby Rob » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:31 pm

Went into this in detail in the past - first make sure you have an original cat and not a de-cat. You won't pass without one.
Make sure your cat is hot before going in - park and hold the revs up 10 seconds or so at a time just before going in. Tearing around at high speed will only help cool it down again.
If you still have problems, you may need a new lambda sensor. If your readings are all over the place, this could very well indicate a faulty oxygen sensor. You'll save money on petrol consumption so it is not all bad..
It took me a few gos to get it right. I was threatened with having to get a new cat, but I avoided that with the new lambda sensor.

Robin H
Southern England Rep

Postby Robin H » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:37 pm

What you need is a friendly tester, I use a Renault lagona for my emissions test :lol:

Your always gonna have little things wrong with any car and they will always look hard if the car is kept tidy don't be put off
Deals on Anodised Altezza parts.... cooling panels and battery bars..

If you are a UK member and interested in club meets please sign up here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7729

Please Support TezzaWorld
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8309

Club stickers
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8724

Blitz Turbo Altezza RS220
I wish I had more time.....

Damok

Postby Damok » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:18 pm

Thanks for the advice, , I'l have head light and breaks sorted tomorrow so i will. . :)

I'm going to try the can of diepetane the next time and hope for the best. it worked for me old levin once Thanks MooMoo. . :wink:

griderjn wrote:take one of the exhaust seals out that is before the catalytic converter, so that you have an exhaust leak.
if they don't notice that, your emission will pass..

Funny you say that man, There was a exhaust gasket missing the first time i went and he told me it was missing and it still passed . . Would it be worth a try :!: or should i try the Diepetane first

@ Rod yeah the standard cat is still in the car, I had it plugged into the computer 2weeks ago and the lambda sensor was reading ok, Was reading a bit high but the reader said that it was ok. . I did the trick of giving the car a REV before i went into the test centre . . :wink: :wink:

@ Robin H theres no such thing as a friendly tester in Ireland :lol: :lol:

griderjn
Trc On!

Postby griderjn » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:26 pm

Damok wrote:Funny you say that man, There was a exhaust gasket missing the first time i went and he told me it was missing and it still passed . . Would it be worth a try :!: or should i try the Diepetane first

an emissions guy in Arizona told me that aftermarket exhausts pass emissions more often because the installers usually do not seal it up well enough. all the bad exhaust is leaking out, and your catalytic converter does not have to convert as much exhaust gas, not like there is a machine in there doing it, it is just some kind of material that absorbs the carbon i think...
maybe get a high flow cat?
good luck with what ever you do though man...hope you get to keep her on the road.
oh, and those exhaust gaskets can be little b!tche$ sometimes,
i used silicone grease to coat them up when I put them back on.
1999 Silver Toyota Altezza RS200z with A'PEXi Power Intake, Fujitsubo SuperEX header, Kakimoto Regu 96dB-R muffler,
TRD Sports Catalyzer center pipe, TRD Quick shift lever, TRD Front/Rear Lower Suspension Brace Set,
TOM'S Side Frame Reinforcement Brace, TEIN Rear Performance Bar, TEIN Driving Spec Control Master Type Flex.

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:30 pm

It sound like to me you have a blocked cat if you cant get much readings out of it. Is there a DOE centre near you they have an emissions tester and should be able to tell you whats wrong.

Robin H
Southern England Rep

Postby Robin H » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:54 pm

Damok wrote: @ Robin H theres no such thing as a friendly tester in Ireland :lol: :lol:

Booooo :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7729

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8309

Club stickers

Damok

Postby Damok » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:20 pm

GOOD news, , Car passed the test today, All is ok for 2 more years :D :D

moomoo
Altezza Guru

Postby moomoo » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:39 pm

were u much under the 0.3

Damok

Postby Damok » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:22 pm

Reading came in at 0.25 was down a bit last time it was 0.35

Robin H
Southern England Rep

Postby Robin H » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:44 pm

What did you do to get it to pass

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7729

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8309

Club stickers

Return to “Problems with your Altezza”