Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

New car new problem!!!

Any problems with your Altezza, post questions here
danbarr
Trc On!

New car new problem!!!

Postby danbarr » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:15 am

Just bought a 99 altezza so im new here to the site. looking for a bit of help on a few problems that are puzzling me. First of all the heater wasnt working in the car so checked that out and found that the heater matrix was disconnected due to a pipe leaking, fixed that and connected it all up again flushed it to get rid of any airlocks and yet still no heater. The engine temperature is going up as normal and the pipes are hot going in and out of the heater matrix. I;m trying to figure out wheather the matrix is blocked or the headgsaket is gone because with the car hot and the rad cap off when reved up it spits out the water out of the radiator which seems to me as on sign of a headgasket gone but no other signs like power loss or pressure in the hoses etc.

E910
Altezza Guru

Re: New car new problem!!!

Postby E910 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:13 am

danbarr wrote:when reved up it spits out the water out of the radiator which seems to me as on sign of a headgasket gone but no other signs like power loss or pressure in the hoses etc.
That sounds pretty normal mate. The water is being pushed around by a pump, so of course it's going to spit out the filler neck.
If you're really that concerned get a compression & TK head test done but I'd say its the heater at fault. My guess would be either the core is blocked or the blend door motor is stuffed.
Last edited by E910 on Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

todd
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby todd » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:58 am

danbarr wrote: the heater matrix was disconnected due to a pipe leaking, fixed that and connected it all up again flushed it to get rid of any airlocks and yet still no heater.

You sure the matrix wasn't disconnected because it's actually knackered?

danbarr
Trc On!

Postby danbarr » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:25 pm

I'm starting to put it down to the matrix knackered alright just want to make sure before I start ripping for that job, where is the blend door motor located is this part of the matrix also or something else?
Last edited by danbarr on Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

todd
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby todd » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:36 pm

Just mentioned it as I can't see someone bypassing the matrix just because of a leaking hose.

Hope it's something simple mate, seen them going on the Supras and the whole dash has to come off to change :(

markrs200
Limerick Rep

Postby markrs200 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:04 pm

Its your heater matrix im afraid , it went in mine last year its a dash out job and the heater matrix rad itself its 700 euro from toyota :evil: :evil: :evil: .
02 rs200.full trd kit, 18 inch ultralite gt2,toms spoiler,cusco H braces front and rear,cusco front strut brace,stoptect front discs&pads,full hks exhaust& decat,hks pannel filter,ngk irridiumplugs,hid kit ,toms eye brows,jdm front lights with angel eyes,trd decals on doors,leather interior,apexi rsm,lg dvd,sat nav,trd fioor mats ,fast road clutch +lightened flywheel lowerned 40mm,falcon evo 4+ alarm trd rad +oil cap Cusco front & rear arb's 201.6 bhp+211 torque

danbarr
Trc On!

Postby danbarr » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:09 pm

Yup had another look there and ruled out everything else :( Surely it would be a lot cheaper to get the rad reconditioned?? Did you change it yourself, would there be many major hold ups doing it or is it just the case that its a big job and thats it just get started!!!

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:38 am

Ring your local rad centre we have one in galway Rad Fix so hopefully they will be able to help ya

mlcoolj
Altezza Guru

Postby mlcoolj » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:58 am

I had this same problem with my starlet once... the pipes leading to the rad core beneath the dash cracked so it leaked some of the coolant inside the car... I went to the breakers.. got me another core for 10 euro's and fixed it myself.. the whole dash had to come off indeed... it's a dirty job I tell ya lol.. good luck!

danbarr
Trc On!

Postby danbarr » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:10 am

Well got motivated tonight anyways and took the whole dash out and found the problem. The main flap inside in the heater matrix for directing the hot air from the rad was not working and was blocking the hot air going into the blower fan. What a job to do also may i add, in front of the seats all thats left is gearlever and handbrake and a whole bunch of wires, oh the joys of it!!!! Sound for all the help!

todd
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby todd » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:53 am

Kudos to you for fixing it yourself :D

danbarr
Trc On!

Postby danbarr » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:10 am

Finally got my new heater matrix today by courier, well second hand one!! Spend another good 3 hours putting the whole car back together, started her up took it for a spin and heated the car up yet no heat still in the car. As gutted as i was i went back over everything bleed the system for air checked all wiring and still no heat!! :x :x :x Made a phone call to a buddy bout 10 minutes brainstorming couldnt quiet figure it out so went back to the car to park it in the garage and wohoo the heater was working perfect, must have been some more trapped air that released itself. So all in all car is fixed massive job for a very small problem!!

Return to “Problems with your Altezza”