Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Stock Altezza Dyno Sheet?

Any problems with your Altezza, post questions here
Orido
Trc Off

Stock Altezza Dyno Sheet?

Postby Orido » Tue May 05, 2009 1:29 am

Hey guys.....so i was bored today so i decided to take my car to the dyno to do a baseline to see what a stock RS200Z does and i was most disappointed with the whp figures....i honestly thought these cars was doing like at least 170whp but to my surprise i got 148whp and when i added some octane boost i got 151whp and 115 ft-lbs.....
Im just curious is this the true figures given from n 3SGE motor?

One other thing i dont understand what caused the dip in the graph at about 4800rpm.....can u guys share some light on this?

See graph below.....
Thanks

xnickx
New Zealand Rep

Re: Stock Altezza Dyno Sheet?

Postby xnickx » Tue May 05, 2009 1:58 am

The dip doesn't look very healthy... Most SXE10s should have the most gain in power per revs from the 4500 - 5500rpm mark!

The Dip is where the VVTI should engage at the hardest! Should go up instead of down.

Have you cleaned the air flow sensor?
Air and fuel filters all been done up to date?

Do you have another chart that may show the A:F Ratio by any chance?

Orido
Trc Off

Postby Orido » Tue May 05, 2009 5:04 am

xnickx, i got my car now like 6months...now getting familar with it actually.....i have a K&N drop in air filter...i dont think the fuel filter was changed though i will try to clean the Air Flow sensor .....
what made me kinda believe this was the whp im supposed to get is i saw a dyno chart of another altezza that was there on d records and he did 140whp and 130ft-lbs. He was tiptronic though...

I dont have any A/F readings....i will invest in 1 of those widebands and an engine management...i will ask u'll what u guys are running in my next thread....

anyways

what kinda figures should i be seeing on this dyno in a motor working perfectly with the stock ecu before i start investing in an engine management???

Thanks again xnickx.....i will work on the other stuff and keep u guys posted...thanks again

xnickx
New Zealand Rep

Postby xnickx » Tue May 05, 2009 5:16 am

Most Auto 3SGEs make around the 100kw at the wheels (About 135BHP at the wheels)

Stock 3SGEs make about 116-120kw at the wheels (About 155-160BHP at the wheels)

After just a TRD Clutch Kit and Flywheel mine made 125kw at the wheels (Just under 170hp at the wheels)
I know the clutch kit doesn't make any power for the car, but the solid flywheel helped to reduce the inertia lost from the engine to the drive shaft!

Orido
Trc Off

Postby Orido » Tue May 05, 2009 6:41 am

xnickx....hmm very interesting :shock: .....hey lookin at ur avitar i see ur boosted now? then well definately have to chat....i want to get another head and block and build it for boost....if u could render some advice that would be great....

Thanks again

xnickx
New Zealand Rep

Postby xnickx » Tue May 05, 2009 10:30 am

Yes been boosted for a while now.

3SGTE Caldina/Celica/MR2 rods are straight bolt in (Eagle ones seem popular), as are 3SGTE Head bolts/studs (ARP), conrod and main bearings (ACL Race Series)

Piston bore and stroke etc all the same from 3SGE to 3SGTE, only the standard 3SGTE Pistons lack about 10cc of dish from the top and the valve cuts are on a different angle. (Just any forged piston maker and a good engine builder to do the machining)

3SGTE Forged pistons are ok as they have dish to compensate for high lift camshafts, but angles again need to be machined correctly.

Head depends on how far you want to go, if your keeping it VVTI I would just recommend getting a quick port and polish to free up the movement of air.

Cranks are fine as they are the same ones in the turbo vehicle anyway.

On a stock (untouched) 3SGE, you can do up to 12psi if you want, but safe on about 10psi as long as you get your fuelling right, and a good tune (retard just enough ignition timing, injector correction and flow etc etc)

Anything else? :P

Orido
Trc Off

Postby Orido » Tue May 05, 2009 2:22 pm

very interesting...how much whp can i expect to get with lets say 8-10psi on the stock motor?
oh an what engine management would u recommend ?

i was thinking about boosting the stock motor but fear disaster for my days might have numbered LOL..but if u guys did it i can access a head and block and try something :D

i had no idea that the 3SGE and the 3SGTE had some similar parts oh is the clutch kit for the MR2 3SGTE and the 3SGE the same?

Thanks xnickx i'll bombard u with some more questions :D thanks again!

xnickx
New Zealand Rep

Postby xnickx » Tue May 05, 2009 7:33 pm

Well on 5psi I made 158KW at the wheels, (about 211hp), and on 9.5psi made 198kw at the wheels.

As long as you treat your engine right its fine on 10psi daily without it being opened up!

I've sold a few GReddy turbo kits and most have tuned it to run 10psi and drive their cars daily like I do!

Clutch kit not the same.

Bombard with any questions and if I can answer them I will haha, this is your thread anyway so not really hijacking it so to speak :P

dlocko
Altezza Guru

Postby dlocko » Tue May 05, 2009 8:22 pm

nick my tiptronic put out 153 whp at the wheels. that was at our dyno day. on a hub mounted dyno(very accurate)

Orido
Trc Off

Postby Orido » Tue May 05, 2009 8:29 pm

ok cool,, thats the idea its my daily driver could i use a greddy emanage blue or u think the ultimate? or power fc ?
some one told me i need a better managent an made me sold my emanange blue?
if u dont mid me asking .....what management are u using?
would u recommend a lightened flywheel with the boost application?

I will get another head an block and boost it to my goal on a stock motor is 240 to 250 hp that would be great!
thanks xnickx

I will let u guys know how the project is goin.....im goin to start gathering some parts.... :mrgreen:

xnickx
New Zealand Rep

Postby xnickx » Tue May 05, 2009 8:45 pm

All figures depend on the machine and the operator.

The figures I posted are base figures (Pure figures)

Some dynos and operators counter in things like "drivetrain loss" and add that to your readings.

And all dynos should be done as close to 1:1 gear ratio (5th gear in 6MT and 4th in the 5ATs), as doing it in say 3rd gear, will give a higher reading then what your car actually made.

dlocko do you know what gear they tested on your 5AT?

The main problem is all Altezzas have a 190KM speed cut, which means you cant do it in 5th gear to get a true reading so most operators only use 4th or even 3rd gear, which doesn't give a true reading.

I'm using the eManage Blue at the moment, there is no reason why its not "worthy", as it does everything you need it to do for a boosted application (air flow signal adjustment, VVTI control for inlet, not sure about exhaust, sub injector control, throttle position, boost and rev limiter cuts and controller, adjust airflow via rpm and throttle Maps, Map trace function, fuelling, ignition timing, injector correction + heaps more, can list them if you want LOL!

dots
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby dots » Tue May 05, 2009 9:07 pm

@nick i was talkin to a guy today i was askin him about removing a/c but looks like a nitmare to do he said to just remove the gas and it should do the same thing as there will be no strain on the engine, and he recons i should get a small increase in power is there any truth in this, have you ever heard of this being done :D :D
DOTS

xnickx
New Zealand Rep

Postby xnickx » Tue May 05, 2009 9:26 pm

No truth in degassing the system at all! As there is still an AirCon compressor sitting under the engine, and the fanbelt still running on the pulley!

If you remove it completely, and get a smaller belt as the AC pulley wont be there anymore, you may (if your lucky) see about 5-10hp MAX!

Not worth the hassles to go through all of that!

dots
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby dots » Tue May 05, 2009 9:31 pm

yea was thinkin that alrite, looks like a nitemare to do, did it with my 1990 integra 1600,vtec years ago cause the bearing in the pully started crunchin, was a great inprovement, gotta love the hondas for there easy tuning :lol: :lol: :lol:
DOTS

dlocko
Altezza Guru

Postby dlocko » Tue May 05, 2009 10:27 pm

nick mine speedo is converted to mph so the limiter no longer stops at 112mph.
the other lads got there cars done the same day highest was the low 170 whp.

Return to “Problems with your Altezza”