Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Hesistating :(

Any problems with your Altezza, post questions here
digicube
Trc On!

Hesistating :(

Postby digicube » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:51 pm

Hi all, I'm new to the tezza family but definately glad to be part of it. Picked up mine a couple of months back and wanted to get right onto some mods. Yesterday I fitted the apexi power intake with induction box, changed the oil and changed the spark plugs. After all were fitted I reset the ECU and followed the instructions on allowing the ECU to re-adjust.

I then took her out for a spin and now the car chugs and hesitates at when I put my foot down.
I read a few posts on the forums and cleaned the MAF sensor (with switch cleaner), I cleaned the throttle body, I checked the coilpacks (no obvious damage there - and they were working fine before the change).
After all those checks the car ran slightly better, but it still had the occasional chug and when I put my foot down in any gear it hesitates at around 5000 revs (about 1-2 secs or so) and then begins to pick up again beyond 5000.

Could it be due to the ECU still needing time to adjust after the reset or could it be something else?
Any ideas?
Thanks everyone.
Justin

lanigan
Midlands Rep

Re: Hesistating :(

Postby lanigan » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:00 pm

sounds like you need an AFC to get the fuelling right for the new intake setup. Has been known here that induction kits kill power on some cars, i think Nick from CDA said that it even says on the side of the apexi box that up to 5% power losses can occur and its recommended to run an aftermarket ecu or an AFC which can be mapped to the new set up

digicube
Trc On!

Postby digicube » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:27 pm

Ah i see. After reading some other posts i had a feeling that might be the case. Looks like I might need to get my hands on one. Any ideas which one is best to get and where might sell it?
Thanks again

Richie_c
Altezza Guru

Postby Richie_c » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:45 pm

Apexi AFC/Neo is the most popular one
300 rwhp thanks to

E910
Altezza Guru

Postby E910 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:53 am

Only problem with using a piggy back fuel controller is the Altezza runs a closed loop ECU. The ECU will eventually over ride any adjustment to the air/fuel ratio you make. You can get around this by resetting the ECU every couple of months (bit of a hassle really). The proper way around this is to go the whole hog & get an APEXi Power FC or Greddy E-Manage.

When I first purchased my Altezza I looked at the Camcon-T. I'd had an APEXi SAFCII in my previous car (Levin BZ-G) & was happy with the gains it gave me. I asked a few guys on the ACOA/NZ forums about them & thats when I found out about the closed loop ecu's & subsequent problems. Have a read here of what I found http://z4.invisionfree.com/lexusaltezza ... topic=6867

Would be cheaper just to reinstall your factory air box & get a APEXi or K&N panel filter IMO.

All I can say is if you do decide to go down the SAFCII/Neo route make sure you get it professionally tuned on a dyno.

dots
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby dots » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:17 pm

mine did the exact same changed the maf sensor car runs perfect now no flat spots :wink:
DOTS

digicube
Trc On!

Postby digicube » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:38 pm

Cheers for all the help guys. Gonna keep my eye on some ECUs but money is the issue here....isn't it always :)

KaTaLy5t
Altezza Guru

Postby KaTaLy5t » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:26 pm

Welcome to the site by the way. Hope you get your problem sorted. I had idling problems with mine before and I got a new MAF sensor and it was grand.

Return to “Problems with your Altezza”