Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

My spots NOT WORKING - BLOWING FUSES

Any problems with your Altezza, post questions here
Damo
Trc Off

My spots NOT WORKING - BLOWING FUSES

Postby Damo » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:25 pm

I have the TRD bumper with the spots. when i got the car the spots didn work, i went to investigate it, tha lead to me finding a blown 15a fuse, so i replaced that, tried the spots- nothing, it blew the new one, so tried a 20a same thing blew that, said sure why not stick in a 30a so did that they worked grand, drove the car a few mins later up tp shop left the spots on came back out turned on the engine of the car and bang it blew the 30a, i didn try any higher fuses as there is obviously a problem that it is shoritng itself and putting in a higher fuse will only do more damage.

so has anyone else had a similar problem, i love the spots in the trd bumper :(

KaTaLy5t
Altezza Guru

Re: My spots NOT WORKING - BLOWING FUSES

Postby KaTaLy5t » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:31 pm

I'd say your just gona have to start at the spots and trace the cable back along until you find where the short is.

KaTaLy5t
Altezza Guru

Postby KaTaLy5t » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:44 pm

One other thing, you shouldn't replace the 15amp fuse with anything higher because you could cause a fire. When you replaced the 15amp fuse with the 30amp one the circuit was carrying twice the current that it was designed to carry. This could cause the cables to melt and would give you a serious head ache.

Damo
Trc Off

Postby Damo » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:49 pm

KaTaLy5t wrote:One other thing, you shouldn't replace the 15amp fuse with anything higher because you could cause a fire. When you replaced the 15amp fuse with the 30amp one the circuit was carrying twice the current that it was designed to carry. This could cause the cables to melt and would give you a serious head ache.

Hence why i didn go higher than 30 :lol:

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:10 pm

had a similar problem, water getting into the fogs via the back of the fog light cluster, is it just the fuses blowing or is it popping bulbs aswell?

dlocko
Altezza Guru

Postby dlocko » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:51 pm

trace the cable,more then likely the cable that is hanging down to the fogs is damaged

dmcgarry
Altezza Guru

Postby dmcgarry » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:24 am

dlocko wrote:trace the cable,more then likely the cable that is hanging down to the fogs is damaged

thats what happened to my drivers side one.. bit of insulating tape sorted it..

Untill i went to KERRY!!!!! :D
never argue with an idiot... they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience... :D

http://www.irishkenpo.com
http://www.mmaireland.com

shakey
Altezza Guru

Postby shakey » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:57 am

dmcgarry wrote:
dlocko wrote:trace the cable,more then likely the cable that is hanging down to the fogs is damaged

thats what happened to my drivers side one.. bit of insulating tape sorted it..

Untill i went to KERRY!!!!! :D

ah ur just not used of weaving out round them :lol:

Shane M
Altezza Guru

Postby Shane M » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:16 am

I had similar problem also when i changed one of my bulbs after it blew, changed the bulb and then it blew the fuse so i taped up the wire...

btw lads, what wattage bulb should i have in my fogs? i replaced it with the same size that was in 55w and now i get people flashing me when i have them on, so im thinking it's too high maybe? so i dont use them at the mo. When i look at them both one does look a little brighter :?

Cheers

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:39 am

Just using this for illustration purpose
. If u have the round Foglight like me its actually easier to change the bulb by taking out the whole unit (4 screws located with the green circle) because of the clip that hold the bulb in place.

I had my fuse blowing all the time aswell I discovered that there was water getting in the bottom of the lamp where the wire goes trough for the bulb. I noticed it when I took the cap off to change the bulb the inside of the cap was all wet. I used some windscreen sealer on mine just check all the first….

Shane, there just flashing u for being a naughty boy having ur foglights on, the bulbs u are using are fine….

rnd_audio
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby rnd_audio » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:39 pm

i had the exact same prob, it was in insulation on one wire just inside the cover of the spot and was shorting it out if you pull at the insulations is crumbles off in you hand, to find out which spot lamp it is disconnect the two of them fit a fuse, and connect them one at a time till the fuse pops, then check the insulation on that spot, hope this helps it took me 2 nights of tearing my hair out to find it.

Tyres are evil and must be punished :)

KaTaLy5t
Altezza Guru

Postby KaTaLy5t » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:08 pm

Electrical problems in cars can be a serious pain in the a**

Damo
Trc Off

Postby Damo » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:20 pm

Some good advice there lads, ill pick up a bag of fuses and go at it.

@Dan its just the fuses blowing not the bulbs :wink:

Return to “Problems with your Altezza”