Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

problem with fuse box,Help please

Any problems with your Altezza, post questions here
lex looter
Tezza Fanatic!

problem with fuse box,Help please

Postby lex looter » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:23 pm

Lads i left my lights on in the car today and when i came out i tried to jump it but it seems that when i did it blew the fuse for the alternator which a 120 amp fuse.When i tried to take the fuse out the box part came out but the pins were still left in it and cant get them out. The guy i called out from the alarm company wired the box direct to the battery, the car started but it kept cutting out with the engine management light on.1 Does anyone know how imgoing to get around this, i rang a guy who told me the fuse box is connected to the loom and that i would have to make a place for a new fuse .2, should i have much problems with this its really pissing me off,thanks for any assistance.
you spin me right round baby,right round,like a record,right round,round round

KaTaLy5t
Altezza Guru

Re: problem with fuse box,Help please

Postby KaTaLy5t » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:18 pm

The fuse thing might not be your only problem, if you blew the alternator fuse there must have been a serious surge to cause it to blow, if there was a surge then there's a very very good chance that something in your ECU is fired as well, hopefully it's not this but the way you described the problem doesn't sound too good.

lex looter
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby lex looter » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:26 pm

How would i know if i done in the ecu , when i started the car it was ticking over but would then cut out, i had to keep the revs up to keep it running,would this happen if she was screwed,what a s@3! thing to happen just from leaving your lights on :( :( :(

KaTaLy5t
Altezza Guru

Postby KaTaLy5t » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:57 pm

Yeah I know it's pretty s**t alright!

When it cuts out the engine management light is on??

When it starts can you only keep it running by putting your foot on the gas?

If you want to be sure I'd try get it to a garage and get a diagnostics machine plugged into it, if the engine management light is on then an error code will show up on the machine. The only reason I'd say it was the ECU is that you've done nothing to it only jump it.

You could try resetting the ECU and see will that do anything?

E910
Altezza Guru

Postby E910 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:35 pm

So did you manage to get the fuse out yet? If not, I think you'll find the reason you couldn't get the pins out is they will be held in with a small bolt.

I hope for your sake you haven't fried your ECU :shock: You've got to be so careful jump starting cars these days. Never hook the negative up to the battery of the car being jumped. Always earth it to the chassis/body & use cables with a spike guard.

lex looter
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby lex looter » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:53 pm

folks cheers, alot of what your saying is making sense, i actually got the car jumped off a toyota land cruiser which when i look back on it i shouldnt have done but for whatever dumb ass reason i forgot that the charge she could be putting through the car could do the damage. i ll try and reset the ECU ,thats done by just taking out the fuse for a few minutes, would that be correct, if not the place down in Galway are doing them for 100 euros which is alot better than i thought,cheers lads big time :) :)

KaTaLy5t
Altezza Guru

Postby KaTaLy5t » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:05 pm

No problems, glad to help.

Yeah you just remove the couple of ECU fuses in the box in the engine bay and that resets the ECU.

The place in Galway is selling the ECU for €100??

You'd still want to make sure that it is the ECU that is the problem, just in case there's something else, I doubt there is something else wrong but it might be worth getting it on a diagnostics machine just to be 100% sure.

lex looter
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby lex looter » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:13 pm

yeah he said 100 euros for it and said it was a common fault with them for the ECU to go, i was expecting to pay between 250-500 for it :) :)

KaTaLy5t
Altezza Guru

Postby KaTaLy5t » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:04 pm

That's pretty cheap man. I've never heard of anyone with a ECU problem in an Altezza (other than you).

lex looter
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby lex looter » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:29 pm

Thanks i would have to be the exception on that one :)

lanigan
Midlands Rep

Postby lanigan » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:31 pm

lex looter wrote: i actually got the car jumped off a toyota land cruiser which when i look back on it i shouldnt have done but for whatever dumb ass reason i forgot that the charge she could be putting through the car could do the damage.

Wouldnt make any difference really, only reason that would do any harm is if the jeep was running? Or if it had a 24V system like some nissans and mitsibushis but the landcruiser doesnt.... CCA rating can be anything really (within reason) and it wouldnt affect it

As long as the jeep wasnt turned on there is no way of generating a power surge from it into the altezza.... if it was running however and it revd while jumping, well then that would generate the surge

lex looter
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby lex looter » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:44 pm

initally he had it turned off and i cranked it and power was coming into the battery but then he said hold on till i turn it on :oops: :oops: and after that as you can gather nothing :(

lex looter
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby lex looter » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:23 pm

ok lads got the thing sorted,after waiting a week for an auto elec guy to come out i finally gave in and myself and the old man went out and attacked the fuse box not knowing what the hell we were to do,anyway for future reference for anyone that has a similar problem,here s where you might start. There are 2 nuts holding your alternator fuse in on either side,unbolt these before you go trying to pull the fuse out.This is easier said than done cause they are bloody awkward to get at.after this if your still getting an engine management light coming on look at both the ecu fuse and the ects fuse and hopefully this should sort your problem,now i could have done this a week ago only for full time work and full time college i didn t have the time,anyways i hope this might help someone else out in the future and anyone looking for a good trade to get into in this age of job losses you could try being an auto elec, their few and far between.Cheers lads also for the help,site is great as always and with that ill shut the f*** up talking :D

Shane M
Altezza Guru

Postby Shane M » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:54 am

Good to hear your up and running again fella :D and thanks for the info, always good to know :)

KaTaLy5t
Altezza Guru

Postby KaTaLy5t » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:54 pm

Good to hear you're back up an running. Without having to change your ECU!!

Return to “Problems with your Altezza”