Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

New brakes squeak??

Any problems with your Altezza, post questions here
Echos84
Noob!

New brakes squeak??

Postby Echos84 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:39 pm

Ive just fitted mintex discs and pads front and rear, 2 weeks in and when i brake there is a squeak which i guess is brake dust from the nw pads? Can i sort this? Also since ive fitted them there is brown stuff thats settled on the handbrake drum. Again is this brake dust? can i clean it? :?
TEZZA = constant :) :) :) when driving :) :) :)

KaTaLy5t
Altezza Guru

Re: New brakes squeak??

Postby KaTaLy5t » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:00 pm

Sounds to me like the pads are too tight or something like that? I haven't had Mintex pads before but I don't think they should be squeeking. I think I remember Dan saying they're a pain for dust and that.

lanigan
Midlands Rep

Postby lanigan » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:20 pm

Did you put copper grease or anything on the back of them before you put them in?

Either that or the pad should have a suitable backing on it to stop squeal, its caused by vibration. Take them out, slap copper grease on the back and it should go away (works most of the time, some compounds just squeal anyway :roll: )

markrs200
Limerick Rep

Postby markrs200 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:24 pm

Yep copper grease will sort it on the back of the pad NOT ON THE FRONT r your in trouble :wink:
02 rs200.full trd kit, 18 inch ultralite gt2,toms spoiler,cusco H braces front and rear,cusco front strut brace,stoptect front discs&pads,full hks exhaust& decat,hks pannel filter,ngk irridiumplugs,hid kit ,toms eye brows,jdm front lights with angel eyes,trd decals on doors,leather interior,apexi rsm,lg dvd,sat nav,trd fioor mats ,fast road clutch +lightened flywheel lowerned 40mm,falcon evo 4+ alarm trd rad +oil cap Cusco front & rear arb's 201.6 bhp+211 torque

Echos84
Noob!

Postby Echos84 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:49 pm

Thanks guys. Didnt use any grease so i will try this out. how can i clean the brown stuff which i assume is pad dust which is on the disc part that meets up with wheel/alloy? anyone would think it was rust!

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:37 pm

Echos84 wrote:Thanks guys. Didnt use any grease so i will try this out. how can i clean the brown stuff which i assume is pad dust which is on the disc part that meets up with wheel/alloy? anyone would think it was rust!

mintex pads are very dusty and noisey.mine still squeaked for 2 weeks after i fitted new ones with grease! sounds like ur disc hubs r rusty so either get new discs r paint them black!

E910
Altezza Guru

Postby E910 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:31 am

Echos84 wrote:Ive just fitted mintex discs and pads front and rear, 2 weeks in and when i brake there is a squeak which i guess is brake dust from the nw pads? Can i sort this? Also since ive fitted them there is brown stuff thats settled on the handbrake drum. Again is this brake dust? can i clean it? :?
Did you bed your pads in properly or did you just jump in the car & drive as normal after installing them?
If you dont bed them in they can glaze up which causes squealing. Have a look at them pad surface & if its shiny rough it up it a bit with some coarse sand paper then reinstall them. This time take it easy for the first hundred km's or so

dc5altezza
Trc Off

Postby dc5altezza » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:12 pm

E910 wrote:
Echos84 wrote:Ive just fitted mintex discs and pads front and rear, 2 weeks in and when i brake there is a squeak which i guess is brake dust from the nw pads? Can i sort this? Also since ive fitted them there is brown stuff thats settled on the handbrake drum. Again is this brake dust? can i clean it? :?
Did you bed your pads in properly or did you just jump in the car & drive as normal after installing them?
If you dont bed them in they can glaze up which causes squealing. Have a look at them pad surface & if its shiny rough it up it a bit with some coarse sand paper then reinstall them. This time take it easy for the first hundred km's or so

just wat i was gonna say have you bedded them in properly. otherwise itll cause problems...

Echos84
Noob!

Postby Echos84 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:37 pm

Ive slapped on some grease (sunday) and so far......no squeak. Result. I was super soft on them as i read on here to do so a while back.

Ive noticed on is200's rear brakes there is no part which meets from the disc to the allot as it does on the rs200. when replaced the rear discs discs they looked the nuts but now this part has gone a rusty brown colour and looks crap! If its brake dust can i remove it? Thanks for help guys

Return to “Problems with your Altezza”