Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Weird noise from exhaust

Any problems with your Altezza, post questions here
KaTaLy5t
Altezza Guru

Weird noise from exhaust

Postby KaTaLy5t » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:16 pm

When my car is cold and until it gets to normal temp. if I rev the engine the exhaust makes a kind of sucking sound before it lets out the usual growl. Kinda like its sucking in and then blowing out?? If I try to put the foot down as well it makes the noise and while it's in the "sucking stage" she's down on power and then back to normal.

I'm sending it into a garage this week anyway to try and sort out the emissions problem so I might get them to take a look at that too was just wondering if anyone knew what it was.

Evelyn

Re: Weird noise from exhaust

Postby Evelyn » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:19 pm

Might be a cat problem!!!!

KaTaLy5t
Altezza Guru

Postby KaTaLy5t » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:27 pm

That's what I'm afraid of. I think I might be able to get a loan of standard exhaust to get me through the NCT if that's what the problem is. Could be time to de-cat then if mine is knackered :shock: :shock:

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:30 pm

is there much smoke coming out the back?

KaTaLy5t
Altezza Guru

Postby KaTaLy5t » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:35 pm

There's a bit out if when it's cold but once it's warmed up there's nothing.

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:36 pm

I am getting a rasping noise from mine at the moment when its under pressure in lower gears dont really want to think about it at the memont.....

KaTaLy5t
Altezza Guru

Postby KaTaLy5t » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:38 pm

I haven't heard anything like this before so I don't know either. Just have to send it in to some one to get it looked at I suppose.

lanigan
Midlands Rep

Postby lanigan » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:44 pm

Mine has a flat spot in it when you floor it, with a very sick sounding exhaust note (put the cat back in to quieten it down), im hoping its the fuel filter starving the engine, has never been changed since it arrived in ireland and chances are never in japan either

Attempted changing the fuel filter today, swiftly changed my mind when i saw what was surrounding it so will get it done along with a few other bits and pieces after i get paid again

KaTaLy5t
Altezza Guru

Postby KaTaLy5t » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:04 am

Now that you mention that I don't think mine has been done ever either so maybe that could be causing it?

How much is it for a fuel filter from Toyota? I don't think I'd be doing it myself after reading the how to on another forum :shock:

lanigan
Midlands Rep

Postby lanigan » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:46 pm

Leave it to the mechanics, i looked at it and put the whole lot straight back into the tank, lots of plastic to break....

If its clogged it will be starving the engine of fuel when you put the boot down so im hoping thats whats wrong. Havent a clue how much the filter is, i got myself a blueprint one months ago and dont remember how much it was at the time.

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:15 am

I think u would have more problems with fuel starvation, could be wrong if it was being starved of fuel it would be hard to start at times, is there EGR (exhaust recirculation valve) if the trottle body gets clogged up does the E.G.R. valve aswell...

Return to “Problems with your Altezza”