Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

leaking coolant

Any problems with your Altezza, post questions here
kato
Trc Off

leaking coolant

Postby kato » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:15 pm

Driving home last night and the engine light came on and the water temp on the red , got her home and the rad was empty, topped her up and checked this morning and she was empty again. Refilled the rad and checked under the car the water was dripping from the sump area , its at a place where i cant get at. I hope its just a hose and nothing too serious :( :( . would anybody have any ideas ??

Rob
Altezza Guru

Re: leaking coolant

Postby Rob » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:39 pm

kato wrote:Driving home last night and the engine light came on and the water temp on the red , got her home and the rad was empty, topped her up and checked this morning and she was empty again. Refilled the rad and checked under the car the water was dripping from the sump area , its at a place where i cant get at. I hope its just a hose and nothing too serious :( :( . would anybody have any ideas ??

Water pump maybe? I hope you had anti-freeze in it and not water, with the frost we've been having.. :shock:

kato
Trc Off

Postby kato » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:48 pm

Rob wrote:Water pump maybe? I hope you had anti-freeze in it and not water, with the frost we've been having.. :shock:

no had anti freeze in it last night only put water in this morning to check for the leak ,its empty again now

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:54 pm

Get stuff from the factors I think its call rad sealer, put that in first you might have a pin hole in the rad, it will tell you if its the rad.....like Rob said could be waterpump, thats on top of the sump if I remember rightly...

eric25
Altezza Guru

Postby eric25 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:42 pm

as the rest say i think its the waterpump also :(

kato
Trc Off

Postby kato » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:38 am

has anybody ever heard of the frost plug at the rear of the engine, i was told these have a tendancy to go on the altezzas, will find out more when i can get the car to the mechanics.

lanigan
Midlands Rep

Postby lanigan » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:54 am

kato wrote:has anybody ever heard of the frost plug at the rear of the engine, i was told these have a tendancy to go on the altezzas, will find out more when i can get the car to the mechanics.

Frost plugs should only need replacing if your cooling fluid froze, thats what theyre for, they pop if it freezes so the block & head doesnt get damaged, not really a big seller anymore...

kato
Trc Off

Postby kato » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:35 pm

Should have the car back monday evening or tuesday the latest ,getting a new water pump , the frost plug replaced and while they are there the timing belt done aswell so fingers crossed all will be sorted cause i miss driving it :(

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:07 pm

Not so bad back on the road again soon....There must have been no coolant/anitfreeze in it at some stage for them to do frost plugs

KaTaLy5t
Altezza Guru

Postby KaTaLy5t » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:53 pm

Thank Toyota San for frost plugs or you might be leaking a lot more than coolant! Wouldn't fancy having to replace the engine.

Return to “Problems with your Altezza”