Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Slow starting (think its the c/d player!!!)

Any problems with your Altezza, post questions here
Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:38 am

Oh ya the mate said dont go on the reading on the dash, what puzzled me he told me about a month ago it was getting low, but it started on the button during the frost & then during the mild it was slow!!

lanigan
Midlands Rep

Postby lanigan » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:17 pm

Evelyn wrote:Oh ya the mate said dont go on the reading on the dash

Thats a reading of the charge being supplied by the alternator :wink:

Voltmeters are handy to do a quick check but you need to apply a load on the battery on it to really test it, thats why trade testers have the big resistor on them

If youre changing the battery put a bigger battery in it, a 005R (or 005L cant remember which is in mine) will fit, just need to put larger terminals on it (ones with the bolt connection make it a quick easy job) oh and youll need a new bracket to hold the battery in

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:07 pm

Got a new battery today, all he had was a 44amp, I would prefer a 55amp. I think 44amp is too small for a 2ltr. But anyway went at the job tonight I know the poles where bigger, but he gave me termanals for them. But in the middle of it I noticed 2 wires going into the positive, but the termanal he gave me only allow 1 wire to go trough!!! I presume theres a reason for them not touching each other

Thats whats in mine

Thats the termanal he gave me

Rob
Altezza Guru

Postby Rob » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:20 pm

Evelyn wrote:Got a new battery today, all he had was a 44amp, I would prefer a 55amp. I think 44amp is too small for a 2ltr. But anyway went at the job tonight I know the poles where bigger, but he gave me termanals for them. But in the middle of it I noticed 2 wires going into the positive, but the termanal he gave me only allow 1 wire to go trough!!! I presume theres a reason for them not touching each other

You can't let the postitive and negative touch, but the two going to the positive are there for extra current carrying capacity. I was considering getting a large-post battery last time, but it would mean cutting off the connectors and crimping on new ones, which is what you are going to need to do there.
I know you can get larger battery terminals with multiple cable clamps for audio installations, one of those might do.

Or you could get a small-post battery and keep your terminals as-is?

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:29 pm

There seems to be a problem lately in getting small post batterys, I know not to let the postitive and negative touch.
I was just checking the two wires going into the postitive are they ok if the touch

KaTaLy5t
Altezza Guru

Postby KaTaLy5t » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:09 pm

Yeah it's fine for them to touch Ev. They're touching already by both being connected to the positive. I was going to do the same as you but my battery was toasted one evening and I really didn't feel like changing the terminals in the dark so I got a new narrow post battery

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:08 am

I was talking to the mate last nyt, I can get the better terminals, so I am trying to get them today....

Only thing is since I put the battery back, (I know this was mentioned before) it running bad like jerking, will it clear itself??

Rob
Altezza Guru

Postby Rob » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:46 am

Evelyn wrote:Only thing is since I put the battery back, (I know this was mentioned before) it running bad like jerking, will it clear itself??

The ECU was probably reset. It should ok again after a few hours of driving. Just be prepared to cut out at junctions, etc. for a while:

http://forum.altezzaclub.org.au/index.p ... topic=1348

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:09 am

Oh thats ok I remember now, its not as bad this morning, but kinda dangerous..

lanigan
Midlands Rep

Postby lanigan » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:06 pm

No get different terminals, wont need to cut anythe=ing then, i'll take a pic of mine, dead simple change over, gimme 20min or so

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:25 pm

Got different ones today something similar to these I can bolts the brackets on to them....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-Top- ... enameZWDVW

lanigan
Midlands Rep

Postby lanigan » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:42 pm

yeah thats the type

Heres the pic of mine anyway,its a 005R battery, a 005L (poles in opposite positions) wouldve been better for me with the earthing kit but it was all that was in the shop that day and it fit, will need to rearrange earthing cables though to tidy it up a bit

Anyway its a 66AH battery with 510cold crank so it shouldnt let me down :)

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:56 pm

Ya I have a 55amp Opel battery for it, its not as tall but it fits, so I am going to pop that in later....all the factors had was a 44amp but thats to small

Rob
Altezza Guru

Postby Rob » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:37 pm

lanigan wrote:Anyway its a 66AH battery with 510cold crank so it shouldnt let me down :)

Is that one with the large posts? Where did you get the terminals for it?

lanigan
Midlands Rep

Postby lanigan » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:55 pm

Rob wrote:
lanigan wrote:Anyway its a 66AH battery with 510cold crank so it shouldnt let me down :)

Is that one with the large posts? Where did you get the terminals for it?

Yeah its a large pole battery, got the terminals in my dads/bros shop in maynooth (see below), loads of them in stock :wink:

Theyre the simplest way of converting jap cars from skinny pole to large

Return to “Problems with your Altezza”