Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Think I broke my gearbox

Any problems with your Altezza, post questions here
ThatGuy
Trc Off

Think I broke my gearbox

Postby ThatGuy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:38 am

As always I'm still having problems after problem with my altezza and I'm getting close to selling it.

So I was driving to work the other morning and about 10 minutes after I set off, I was just about to get on a dual carriage way and there was a pretty loud bang from the mid/rear of the car and I'm sure my rear wheel locked up.
So I got out and had alook under the car and couldn't see anything obvious hanging off or broken and I hadn't driven over a big pothole or anything like that.
So I figured I'd get somewhere safe and have a better look. I tried to pull away in first and the car drove about a foot then bounced off something as if there was something stuck in the wheel.
Anyone have any idea what it could be? I've had a proper look under the car and can find anything broken the only thing I can think of is I installed a short shift on the gear box a month or so ago and it does make abit of a grinding noise in 2,3 and 4th but if heard that's a pretty common problem on altezzas
I really don't want to have to swap the box out but if I must then I guess it'll need to happen

tommysheen
Trc Off

Re: Think I broke my gearbox

Postby tommysheen » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:13 am

Just saw this on dw. Really sounds like your gearbox or diff there easy to check try pulling away and see what happens don't drive on the open road incase it locks up. Drain the oil check for metal if ya wanna check the diff jack up the rear wheels and check by turning it by hand. I think you answered it yourself tho. Just bad luck

ThatGuy
Trc Off

Postby ThatGuy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:24 am

I did check the diff when I had it up and there wasn't any resistance in it and or grinding, so yea led me to think my gearbox has s@3! itself and had something caught in one of the syncros that either got crushed or moved out the way when I did manage to pull away.
I did manage to drive it home about 3 miles after the incident and it didn't make any strange noises but then I don't want to drive it incase like you say it locks up again.
Cheers for the input though :)

ThatGuy
Trc Off

Postby ThatGuy » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:53 pm

Think I found the problem, I had a look at the rear brakes yesterday and turns out the Handbrake is drums inside the disks which I didn't know and the shoe springs on the drivers side wasnt where it should of been and was flapping about in the drum. So I'm pretty sure that's what caused the wheel to lock :)

tommysheen
Trc Off

Postby tommysheen » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:55 am

Fair play lad didn't even think of it ha. That would do it alright.

ThatGuy
Trc Off

Postby ThatGuy » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:49 pm

Me either man, proper happy I don't have to the the box out aswell hahaha :)

RS Tom-Hundred
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby RS Tom-Hundred » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:50 pm

Nice one! That sounds like the best possible outcome for easy and cheap fix tbh!

ThatGuy
Trc Off

Postby ThatGuy » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:40 pm

That's exactly it, think it cost my £15 for a new spring set haha I'll take that over changing a gearbox anyway :p

RS Tom-Hundred
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby RS Tom-Hundred » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:18 pm

Too right! LOL

Return to “Problems with your Altezza”