Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Timing Belt Advice...

Any problems with your Altezza, post questions here
shamon2.5
Noob!

Timing Belt Advice...

Postby shamon2.5 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:08 am

Greetings All,

I am seeking some advice on an SXE10 that I brought in from Japan. The car came in with exactly 100,100 KMS on the clock, running well, complete service done, everything seems fine with the exception of my biggest concern.

I am so anxious about the timing belt change which I am not sure whether it was done in Japan as there is no service history or that sticker with the belt change mileage on the Blacktop cover which I have seen on other SXEs.

I have attached a pic of the timing belt and cams, take a look, will that belt hold up? I have also seem several camshaft gears on google images and none I have seen bear those yellow paint marks. Does that mean some work may have been done?

Please, I would appreciate some advice. :(

Noel

Re: Timing Belt Advice...

Postby Noel » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:24 pm

Hi ,
For peace of mind change it
If it breaks your engine will be severely damaged, get a genuine Toyota belt, I had a "blueprint" timing belt break on mine years back... Not worth taking a chance imho

tommysheen
Trc Off

Postby tommysheen » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:54 pm

With timing belts if your unsure then always replace them and the marks on the cams would suggest someone was at the engine before but that's noting to worry about if all is running well.
Your belt also looks to have been on there awhile as you can see the print of the teeth coming through to the smooth side but still you can't tell how long a belts been on by looking at it.
I only ever use gates belts or genuine don't cheap out on one and get it done by a proper mechanic. Best of luck

shamon2.5
Noob!

Postby shamon2.5 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:24 am

Thanks Gents,

Just got a quote from Nikkyo Co. ltd Japan, who shipped the car, got the following items including freight- $570.00 :D :D :D

Camshaft Cover/Plug Seals
Timing Belt
Tensioner
Water Pump
Idlers

Missed Anything?

Thanks Again :) :) :)

Return to “Problems with your Altezza”