Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Problem with rpm

Any problems with your Altezza, post questions here
mitsios
Noob!

Problem with rpm

Postby mitsios » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:34 am

Just wondering if anyone can help my altezza keeps cutting out and i dont know why,

Its a 1998 Rs200 Tiptronic the car starts up fine but when i leave the engine to idle it starts to chug and then it revs drop and die i cant remember at what rpm my car used to idle at but it just keeps dropping and coming back up and then dropping again and the engine dies, this happens every time i slow down or stop at traffic lights and i continiously have to keep starting it up again, but when the car is revving its fine so i dunno what the problem is, any suggestions would be much appreciated as this is highly annoying !!!! As usual i have checke dall the essentials such as engine oil transmission fluid coolant air filter plugs and all and they are all fine and the engine isnt over heating or showing warning lights so im baffled, if anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated thanks

ThatGuy
Trc Off

Re: Problem with rpm

Postby ThatGuy » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:24 pm

It's such a common problem with altezza's, there are loads of threads from people that have had the same problem.
Have you cleaned the maf sensor? That seems to work for some so could be worth giving it ago. You could also reset the ecu, again it's worked for some people but not all.
There are how to threads on here with how to do both of those things on this forum.
Let us know how you get on :)

mitsios
Noob!

Postby mitsios » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:37 pm

I had already reset the ecu and clean the MAF sensor and still have the same problem..its very annoying and i dont know whats else to do!!

ThatGuy
Trc Off

Postby ThatGuy » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:37 pm

The other thing you can do is check the voltage to the tps to see if it's been messed with. That's what I ended up doing with mine but I had problem after problem so I changed alot of settings.
I eventually got mine to idle kind of okay but after lots of messing around with pretty much everything attached to the throttle body, and even then it idled higher than normal but eventually settled down after 900km
One thing I will say is don't mess with tps if you don't know how to sort it out if you mess it up, I managed it with mine and it was a f*** nightmare to put right.
Good luck with it and let us know how you get on :)

jarocki
Altezza Guru

Postby jarocki » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:25 am

I had the exact same problem with mine i put diagnostics on it and read no problems. But i did do something to stop the issue but not fix it and has not happened since it started 4 years ago. There is a plug that i plugged out and shorted it with a wire. This bypassed the problem. I have just never got around to fixing it completely. I can take a picture of what i plugged out and where i put a cable across the 2 connections. After i did that the car never idled funny and stopped cutting out when i came to a stop. hope this helps

ThatGuy
Trc Off

Postby ThatGuy » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:34 pm

Would be good if you put a picture up of what you did bud, even if it doesn't fully solve the problem it'll give people a temporary solution to stoo the car cutting out :)

jarocki
Altezza Guru

Postby jarocki » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:53 pm

see attached photos of location between the top mounts and then down in the engine bay. unplug and bridge a cable between the 2 connections, see the bluw cable. let me know how you get on
Attachments
20160713_174420_resized.jpg
20160713_174420_resized.jpg (28.25 KiB) Viewed 1418 times
20160713_174403_resized.jpg
20160713_174403_resized.jpg (48.75 KiB) Viewed 1418 times

mitsios
Noob!

Postby mitsios » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:36 pm

whats does that fuse used for?? and where exactly does the wires go??

jarocki
Altezza Guru

Postby jarocki » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:16 pm

Sorry not too sure. This is what the guy who put the daignostics on it did to temporarily solve the problem. Maybe someone else moght know

mitsios
Noob!

Postby mitsios » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:50 pm

i have done what jarocki sayed to unplug the fuse and cable it the one together..!
The car run little better but still have the problem when i trying to stop on lights or when i accelerate the car and need to stop asap its still shut down and the problem i dont get any error to know whats going on..:S

jarocki
Altezza Guru

Postby jarocki » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:09 am

have you tried putting diagnostics on it? that is strange

mitsios
Noob!

Postby mitsios » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:40 pm

my car was check with diagnostics and i got 0 errors and that make it difficult and strange :S

jarocki
Altezza Guru

Postby jarocki » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:18 am

yes the exact same happened to me. No faults appeared on the diagnostics

mitsios
Noob!

Postby mitsios » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:08 pm

i think its the CONVERTER nothing else can explain all the symptoms and all the rest was check from 2-3 mechanic and no problems found~!!

Return to “Problems with your Altezza”