Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

weird noise

Any problems with your Altezza, post questions here
eric25
Altezza Guru

weird noise

Postby eric25 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:02 pm

alright lads a buddy with tezza was onto me because he said his car is making a whining sound coming from the clutch/gearbox area.he sais it stops when he puts in the clutch but when idling and driving it makes the noise,he said it gets louder when drivin , his mechanic reckons its a bearing in the box but i dont think so,any info on this much appreciated

wiggy1
Trc Off

Postby wiggy1 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:17 pm

I have a slight whine from mine. Not sure if its comin from clutch or gearbox or where. it happens when I am accelerating but its so low cant really hear it. Can't hear it when cruising either. Its been like that since I got it a year ago and hasnt got any worse. Perhaps its normal. I taught it might have been to do with timing belt but had all that changed and it remaind the same.

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:12 am

Ya I have the same whine not bad, when I press the clutch it goes away, dont have the noise driving
I would but it down the clutch bearing but I have no problems with gears so I am not too worried yet...

Riggsy20255
Trc On!

Postby Riggsy20255 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:09 pm

i hav de same noise coming from my car but as far as i no its de clutch release bearing(nothing serious), but mine doesnt get worse as i drive!
Send It On Ya Faggit!!!! YERRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Shane M
Altezza Guru

Postby Shane M » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:36 am

I have the same noise on mine aswell, if i touch the clutch a little it stops..

I was told by a mechanic that it's the clutch release bearing and is quite common on these cars. He said that it can have something to do with the clutch being adjustable, i think he said it can be adjusted 10% or so either way and if it's adjusted too far one way you get premature wear on the release bearing and too far the other way causes dragging of the gear change.

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:04 am

Ya same here if I press the clutch it goes away aswell, but it doesnt whine when I drive so it doesnt bother me....

lanigan
Midlands Rep

Postby lanigan » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:48 pm

Lads and lady..... that noise is the bearings in your box. if it was the release bearing it would only happen when you press the clutch, thats the only time the release bearing is engaged so thats the only time it would be noisy...

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:23 pm

lanigan wrote:Lads and lady..... that noise is the bearings in your box. if it was the release bearing it would only happen when you press the clutch, thats the only time the release bearing is engaged so thats the only time it would be noisy...

Dont know not sure I would have taught a noise from the gear box would come with in being in gear or driving ?

lanigan
Midlands Rep

Postby lanigan » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:00 pm

Evelyn wrote:Dont know not sure I would have taught a noise from the gear box would come with in being in gear or driving ?

Gearbox is engaged when the clutch pedal isnt pressed, just the idler shaft or whatever the official term is, the fact that no gear means that only the output shaft isnt turning.

Should whine a bit when driving aswell though, first and second gear mainly.

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:05 pm

There isnt a peep out of mine when I am driving I usually have the window down leaving the yard these morning, I didnt hear anything....

lanigan
Midlands Rep

Postby lanigan » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:09 pm

Hmmm... I always thought that whine on idle was a box startin to go. maybe i'm wrong

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:11 pm

lanigan wrote:Hmmm... I always thought that whine on idle was a box startin to go. maybe i'm wrong

It make sence what ur saying, because I always know that the way the release bearing works aswell, it only works when pressed......I just taught from other gearboxs I heard some of them would deafen ya the whine out of the box driving???

lanigan
Midlands Rep

Postby lanigan » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:16 pm

Evelyn wrote:
lanigan wrote:I just taught from other gearboxs I heard some of them would deafen ya the whine out of the box driving???

Thats only in extreme cases. 9 times out of 10 those boxes arent worth fixing because the shafts are damaged as well. Can be a very quiet whine at the start, wouldnt hear it unless your listening carefully with the window up and the radio off. And if you hear it... wind down the window and higher up the radio :wink:

eric25
Altezza Guru

Postby eric25 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:27 pm

cheers for the info people :)

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:28 pm

lanigan wrote:
Evelyn wrote:
lanigan wrote:I just taught from other gearboxs I heard some of them would deafen ya the whine out of the box driving???

Thats only in extreme cases. 9 times out of 10 those boxes arent worth fixing because the shafts are damaged as well. Can be a very quiet whine at the start, wouldnt hear it unless your listening carefully with the window up and the radio off. And if you hear it... wind down the window and higher up the radio :wink:

I think thats the way I drive my car all the time :lol: :lol: I go crazy listing to noises, my first astra broke a timing belt when they tighted the bolt in the bottom pulley too much & every noise I hear I ring the mate all he says "turn up the radio" :lol: :lol:

Return to “Problems with your Altezza”