Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Bad understeer

Any problems with your Altezza, post questions here
wiggy1
Trc Off

Bad understeer

Postby wiggy1 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:30 pm

Anyone here suffer from understeer. Mine seems to be quite bad lately but only when going right, as in going round a round about, or taking a sharp right hand bend. It also pulls to the left a bit, not all the time but only when the camber of the road changes. I have also noticed some very light knocking from the front left. Me thinks the front left shock is the culprit. Any ideas?
Cheers

Darren.

Mooney Motors
Trc On!

understeer

Postby Mooney Motors » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:53 pm

I havent noticed my car suffering from understeer but i would suggest getting your suspension checked it sounds to me as if its a dodgy ball joint but you wont no until you check it if you jack up your car and shake the wheel top and bottom if there is play there its usually a ball joint or wheel bearing shake it from side to side if you get play its usually a track rod end or wishbone bushing if you get play either way try get someone else to shake the wheel and see where the play is put pressure on each component with your hand and see if the play goes out of it and pin point it that way only a suggestion you try it and see how ya get on
ADRIAN MOONEY

markrs200
Limerick Rep

Postby markrs200 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:08 am

If your car is wandering as in weaving left and right over uneven surfaces then its either a balljoint or your alignment
02 rs200.full trd kit, 18 inch ultralite gt2,toms spoiler,cusco H braces front and rear,cusco front strut brace,stoptect front discs&pads,full hks exhaust& decat,hks pannel filter,ngk irridiumplugs,hid kit ,toms eye brows,jdm front lights with angel eyes,trd decals on doors,leather interior,apexi rsm,lg dvd,sat nav,trd fioor mats ,fast road clutch +lightened flywheel lowerned 40mm,falcon evo 4+ alarm trd rad +oil cap Cusco front & rear arb's 201.6 bhp+211 torque

wiggy1
Trc Off

Postby wiggy1 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:37 am

Cheers lads. I will jack it up tomorrow and check it out for any play. It does wander on uneven roads so that could be a balljoint. Perhaps thats what the slight knocking is. Come to think of it it does have a slight vibration while driving, well not a vibration as such, feels more like slight hopping if you understand. Car is not a stable as it once was.

rnd_audio
Tezza Fanatic!

understeer prob

Postby rnd_audio » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:51 pm

hey lad if you want to check you wheel balence that could be your vibration when driving and the lads that did mine but too thick balance weights on and on full lock they hit the tie rod pretty ovious if you look at it thou. as for understeer do you have a uprated diff some are very strong and can cause it to understeer also shoxs if you have adj one you can set it up soft on the front and hard on the back to try stop understeer , or get a uprated rear anti roll bar, also tyres if you have crap one on the front you just wont get grip, its worth spending a bit on tyres there the only thing between you and the road. and as the other lads said check all the bushes and joints ball joints go for sport in them. hope this helps.

Tyres are evil and must be punished :)

wiggy1
Trc Off

Postby wiggy1 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:28 pm

It doesnt feel like balancing to be honest. It feels like its skipping up the road sometimes. hence why i was thinking shock but i suppose any play in the related parts could cause this. As for the tyres, I never considered them :oops: they are slightly worn. I planned to jack it up today, but it has been snowing heavily in Navan. :shock:

FT2DFLR
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby FT2DFLR » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:10 am

Yea mine does exactly the same even has the knocking on the left when i hit around 140k (on my friends private runway obviously) I changed the 2 front shocks as i'd previously changed the 2 back ones and taught that may have been the problem but it still understeers on roundabouts, knocks at certain speeds and can't seem to get the back out at all

Return to “Problems with your Altezza”