Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

1999 Altezza won't start please help!

Any problems with your Altezza, post questions here
germana
Noob!

1999 Altezza won't start please help!

Postby germana » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:22 pm

I was having trouble with the car, it kept dying on me in the middle of shifting gears. Found out I had oil in my spark plugs so I changed the seals and put new spark plugs in. It fired right up, moved it out of the garage and then went to start it again about 2 hours later and it started but then died almost right away. Went back and pulled all the spark plugs again cleaned them up, started it again and it ran for about 2 minutes before dying again. Tried to do that one more time and nothing. It sounds like it wants to start but just wont turn over. I am at a loss. Do I need another set of spark plugs? Or is it something else? An help would be greatly appeciated

germana
Noob!

Re: 1999 Altezza won't start please help!

Postby germana » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:24 pm

Sorry guys my name is Jimmy from the above post and I live in the Cayman Islands where mechanics aren't the best. Thanks in advance for any input

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Postby Tosh21 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:29 pm

Was it just one oily plug or all four?

G-TECroscommon
Altezza Guru

Postby G-TECroscommon » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:40 pm

Petrol cars are simple, they need fuel, air and spark to run,

A friend of mine had very similar symptoms once, he had an aftermarket alarm that shorted out and disabled the fuel pump after a minute or two of running, and the car wouldn't start again for a few minutes.

I would suggest making sure you are getting air and fuel as well

germana
Noob!

Postby germana » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:25 pm

It was the back two plugs that were the worst the third one had a little and the fourth had nothing. It's definitely getting fuel I checked that and it's not the alternator because I tried to jump it. I'm thinking it could be the crank sensor. Does that make sense? Thanks for your help

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Postby Tosh21 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:18 pm

May be worth checking all the fuses just incase. you shouldn't have oil on your plugs really, usually means there's oil in the cylinders. Any chance you could do a compression test? Just for piece of mind

Trd Shane
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby Trd Shane » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:53 pm

Tosh21 wrote:May be worth checking all the fuses just incase. you shouldn't have oil on your plugs really, usually means there's oil in the cylinders. Any chance you could do a compression test? Just for piece of mind

I think he means when you take out the coil pack there oil on the top of the plugs as in the gasket is gone around the cam cover

Check your getting a spark
Check you have fuel

Since you said you have fuel I'd say its plugs take them out and have a look at them although you may be getting fuel to the fuel rail doesn necessarily mean you are getting fuel as your injectors may not be injecting due to a sensor failure and ecu is telling it not to start try check for any engine codes
"If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem"

germana
Noob!

Postby germana » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:50 pm

I wasn't getting spark on any of the coils which leads me to believe that it has to be the sensor. Does that sound right? Thank you guys for all your help

Return to “Problems with your Altezza”