Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

fuel problems still!!

Any problems with your Altezza, post questions here
Tosh21
Altezza Guru

fuel problems still!!

Postby Tosh21 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:41 pm

Fitted a walbro 255 with a return line through a genuine sard regulator. Set to 63 psi and totally fine I'm neutral and as I rev up, the pressure stays exactly still. Took it for a drive and after less than a quarter mile it sputters and will no rev. I kept trying but ended up coasting to a stop while dropping gears and even on idle it was struggling big time so killed it. Started it after a couple seconds and it was fine. But then again same thing kept happening. Also I heard the pump whine at a higher pitch if I gave her some beans (in the 5 second window before it all dies) shouldn't it be a steady whine? It should always get the same voltage so stay at the same flow etc. Can't figure out what it could be, any ideas?

Trd Shane
Tezza Fanatic!

Re: fuel problems still!!

Postby Trd Shane » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:16 pm

Tosh21 wrote:Fitted a walbro 255 with a return line through a genuine sard regulator. Set to 63 psi and totally fine I'm neutral and as I rev up, the pressure stays exactly still. Took it for a drive and after less than a quarter mile it sputters and will no rev. I kept trying but ended up coasting to a stop while dropping gears and even on idle it was struggling big time so killed it. Started it after a couple seconds and it was fine. But then again same thing kept happening. Also I heard the pump whine at a higher pitch if I gave her some beans (in the 5 second window before it all dies) shouldn't it be a steady whine? It should always get the same voltage so stay at the same flow etc. Can't figure out what it could be, any ideas?

Did you fix the filter sock you had up earlier ..??? How much fuel is in the tank .. Is the pump to far in and pushed up against the bottom of the tank restricting flow ?? .. I had an issue with the uprated pump I fitted was very tight to go back in with the new filter sock and was pushing against the plate so I put old sock back on and it fitted back in perfect?? Possible issue just throwing ideas out there !!
"If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem"

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Postby Tosh21 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:51 pm

Nah it's still like before without the full sock because it's too tall so the pickup is at a guess 20mm max off the bottom of the tank. I did think it could be too little fuel but it would have to be nearly empty to affect it. I can swap back to the standard pump but I don't want to do that yet because I have to re solder the pump.

It's going to be running on a standard map untill I have the money for an ecu

Trd Shane
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby Trd Shane » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:16 pm

Tosh21 wrote:Nah it's still like before without the full sock because it's too tall so the pickup is at a guess 20mm max off the bottom of the tank. I did think it could be too little fuel but it would have to be nearly empty to affect it. I can swap back to the standard pump but I don't want to do that yet because I have to re solder the pump.

It's going to be running on a standard map untill I have the money for an ecu

Just try half fill the tank and see ??

Worth a shot

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Postby Tosh21 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:11 pm

Turns out it was the walbro. Always have problems with that thing, it's useless. Would be ok on idle but the pressure would drop as revs built. I blipped the throttle a few times hitting about 4k and the pressure dropped by 2 bar! Standard pump back in and its all fine, holds dead steady through entire rev range

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Postby Soiled » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:53 pm

I killed several Walbros before going to a Bosch 044.... skip the middle man :p

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Postby Tosh21 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:02 pm

Yea never going walbro again! That Bosch pump, it says the operating pressure is 5 bar which is quite high, I only want 4-4.5 ish until she blows up and I forge it lol is running it at a lower pressure going to cause any issues? Also is it exactly the same size as the standard one? I'm gonna make a new fuel holder assembly thing and I can't afford the pump atm so I will be making it using the measurements of the standard pump

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Postby Tosh21 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:19 pm

Oh wait never mind I'll put it inline instead

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Postby Soiled » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:25 pm

You want it to run higher, you'll have a fuel pressure regulator to drop the pressure to the engine.

Its bigger but fits in the factory spot with some persuasion.

Inline will probably be easier as I think you've realised haha

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Postby Tosh21 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:54 am

Yup, I now hate fuel systems lol been doing some reading on the Bosch and people are saying they use the oem pump to pump into the Bosch pumps through a filter to the fuel rail. Surely the Bosch will suck more fuel than the oem can provide to it.

How is yours set up? I was thinking Bosch mounted on the back bench with a hose going into he bottom of the tank, sytec filter after the pump, filter to rail, then into the reg and back into the tank.

I read if you don't feed the Bosch with a separate pump it gets pretty noisy and I don't really want a whining pump it's annoying as hell

xeraptor
Trc Off

Postby xeraptor » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:20 pm

Get AEM 320LPH pump.
I installed them on 3 cars - no problems whatsoever. It even survived empty tank couple of times.

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Postby Soiled » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:25 pm

My Bosch 044 is just in the factory position, it's very tight but it fits. Also run a direct feed from the battery switched by a relay that is controlled by the old positive.

The fuel pump is noisy but with the back seat in and the noise from the exhaust it's pretty minor background noise.

With the factory fuel pump feeding the external Bosch you'll need a decent sized surge tank for the reason you stated.

Also can't see why your idea wouldn't work, apart from having the fuel pump in the cabin I wouldn't be too keen on that in case it springs a leak sprays petrol everywhere while you're smoking your ciggie and do your best human torch impression.

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Postby Tosh21 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:16 pm

Yea I was thinking of putting it under the car with a switch on the dash, race car spec. I dont want to have to go into the tank again, I've been in there so many times I permanently smell fuel lol I'll just try it and see what happens and hope for the best

Trd Shane
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby Trd Shane » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:14 am

Tosh21 wrote:Yea I was thinking of putting it under the car with a switch on the dash, race car spec. I dont want to have to go into the tank again, I've been in there so many times I permanently smell fuel lol I'll just try it and see what happens and hope for the best

Dw300 pump it's a good pump small modifying needed to fit it but it's super silent and 320lph :D

Tosh21
Altezza Guru

Postby Tosh21 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:49 am

Quite like the sound of the dw pump, seems to be a pretty decent piece of kit! Cheers mate I'll chuck one of them in the tank

Return to “Problems with your Altezza”