Bad idle/exhaust smell

Any problems with your Altezza, post questions here
sinky.aps
Noob!

Bad idle/exhaust smell

Postby sinky.aps » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:01 pm

Hi all,

Been a member for a good while, long time reader, not frequent poster...

Strange problem with my Altezza RS200... battery had been going flat for a while and eventually died. Since I didnt know the age of the battery, decided to get a new one... Upon starting up again, the revs started jumping between 2000-2500 revs... disconnected battery, left for half an hour, started motor up again and left running for another half an hour... revs eventually settled down, job done! Jump in car next time and starts doing same again, but with a smell (like bad fuel mix or the like) coming from exhaust. Thinking a few things... throttle body needing a clean, sensor problem, but not really got an idea. Anybody else had a similar issue?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

sinky.aps
Noob!

Re: Bad idle/exhaust smell

Postby sinky.aps » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:25 pm

Update - throttle body been cleaned and has actually made it worse... plugged into diagnostic machines (x2) and no faults found... some plugs and leads have been pulled and put back on, no difference made... does anyone know how to reset the system after having a battery changed since this may be the problem.

A wee head scratcher this.

fudder
Trc On!

Postby fudder » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:32 pm

id fit back in the old battery and see if the problems go away then for sure you'll know the knew battery is the problem.

happened to me with a civic years ago and the new battery was at fault. something to do with amps or so

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Postby Soiled » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:54 am

I'd try just going for a decent drive first, it takes awhile for things to settle down after removing the battery.

sinky.aps
Noob!

Postby sinky.aps » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:38 pm

Old battery has been binned, and even if it disappears, it reappears the next time you start it up... Problem has seemed to get worse after the throttle body being cleaned which is strange. Tried to reset the ecu by discharging the system and leaving it a while, restarting and putting a load on the battery by turning all electrics on but no difference. Strangely enough, the idle is lower (still jumping) when the brake is on... Is it new throttle body time do you think?

Protok
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby Protok » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:03 pm

Normally better idle when brake is on points a vacuum leak.

Return to “Problems with your Altezza”