Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Low oil pressure

Any problems with your Altezza, post questions here
Trd Shane
Tezza Fanatic!
Posts: 232
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:44 pm
Location: Dublin

Low oil pressure

Postby Trd Shane » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:32 pm

Wonder if anyone can shed some light on my situation ...
When cold my oil pressure sits about two bars above low oil pressure even if you rev it a little still stays there ... But after a couple of minutes when temp gauge reaches about 1/4 way up the pressure rises to half way on idle and will rise if you give it a blip of the throttle anyone tell me if this is normal doesn seem like it to me :/ ... I use 10w40 castrol fully synt and serviced it last about 3 k ago any help please I'm getting a bit worried now I never noticed that before ??
"If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem"

User avatar
mlcoolj
Altezza Guru
Posts: 1740
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Low oil pressure

Postby mlcoolj » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:54 am

normal... has been covered here before, if you do a search I'm sure you'll find more info...
Image

Trd Shane
Tezza Fanatic!
Posts: 232
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:44 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Low oil pressure

Postby Trd Shane » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:01 pm

mlcoolj wrote:normal... has been covered here before, if you do a search I'm sure you'll find more info...



I had a gander already just couldn't get a solid answer that's all thanks though :D
"If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem"

User avatar
E910
Altezza Guru
Posts: 1587
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:47 am
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Low oil pressure

Postby E910 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:45 am

That doesn't sound normal to me. When mine is cold & on auto choke at idle the oil pressure sits 2-3 from top on the factory gauge. When the engine is warm at idle it sits 2 below halfway.

Have you checked the oil level? Could be low. Also what oil filter you using? Stick to genuine or a decent aftermarket brand like WIX XP or K&N etc.

Why do people persist in running 10W40 in their Altezza especially in a cooler climate like Ireland :?: Castrol don't make a synthetic 10W40 either, only semi syn. Use Edge FST 5W30 or 0W30 if Castrol is the easiest brand to find. Otherwise there are better options available like Mobil1 5W30 & Motul 8100 X-clean 5W30
Last edited by E910 on Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trd Shane
Tezza Fanatic!
Posts: 232
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:44 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Low oil pressure

Postby Trd Shane » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:28 am

E910 wrote:That doesn't sound normal to me. When mine is cold & on auto choke at idle the oil pressure sits 2-3 from top on the factory gauge. When the engine is warm at idle it sits 2 below halfway.

Have you checked the oil level? Could be low. Also what oil filter you using? Stick to genuine or a decent aftermarket brand like WIX XP or K&N etc.

Why do people persist in running 10W40 in their Altezza especially in a cooler climate like Ireland:?: Castrol don't make a synthetic 10W40 either, only semi syn. Use Edge FST 5W30 or 0W30 if Castrol is the easiest brand to find. Otherwise there are better options available like Mobil1 5W30 & Motul 8100 X-clean 5W30




I didn think it was normal as it takes a good while for it to start moving like the car is nearly warm before the gauge starts to move I always thought it moved straight away but couldn't remember as I've never took much notice only ever glance at it ... Hmmm was nearly certain it was a fully synth .. Maybe not then haha I have genuine toyota filters ... I was just recommended to use 10w 40 ... Going to change to 5w 30 next service ... Have ordered a new pressure sender just to be safe ... Anybody know if the lexus is200 is the same ..
"If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem"

User avatar
mlcoolj
Altezza Guru
Posts: 1740
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Low oil pressure

Postby mlcoolj » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:59 am

5W30 should go in there alright, but mine sits at 3/4 when cold and 1/4 when at working temp. Different engines have different readings I guess... When I start driving (at working temp) it goes to 3/4 again...
Image

Trd Shane
Tezza Fanatic!
Posts: 232
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:44 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Low oil pressure

Postby Trd Shane » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:07 am

mlcoolj wrote:5W30 should go in there alright, but mine sits at 3/4 when cold and 1/4 when at working temp. Different engines have different readings I guess... When I start driving (at working temp) it goes to 3/4 again...


No mine just sits at one notch above L until the car is almost at working them then rises and works as normal :/ hope it's just the sender otherwise the 2jz conversion will be happening sooner that expected haha
"If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem"

User avatar
mlcoolj
Altezza Guru
Posts: 1740
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Low oil pressure

Postby mlcoolj » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:58 am

ah ok, like that... Hope it's the sender indeed!
Image

User avatar
E910
Altezza Guru
Posts: 1587
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:47 am
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Low oil pressure

Postby E910 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:18 am

Trd Shane wrote: Have ordered a new pressure sender just to be safe ... Anybody know if the lexus is200 is the same ..
The IS200 doesn't have an oil pressure gauge. Only warning light.

Part number for 3SGE Oil Pressure Sender is 83520-60050

sxe10mike
Tezza Fanatic!
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:09 am
Location: Meath
Contact:

Re: Low oil pressure

Postby sxe10mike » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:21 pm

My oil pressure sits 2 bars from the top on start up and half way when fully warm. Then back at 2 bars from the top when driving.
Why complain when nobody listens?

User avatar
j2jedi
Trc Off
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:17 am
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Re: Low oil pressure

Postby j2jedi » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:46 am

Could the low oil pressure reading at cold is because the oil is not fluid enough to travel at normal pressure yet?

Trd Shane
Tezza Fanatic!
Posts: 232
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:44 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Low oil pressure

Postby Trd Shane » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:45 pm

j2jedi wrote:Could the low oil pressure reading at cold is because the oil is not fluid enough to travel at normal pressure yet?


Turned out to be oil pressure sender was faulty it works perfectly when I replaced it :D

The oil pressure should move off low when started no matter what temperature the oil is :D
"If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem"

User avatar
mlcoolj
Altezza Guru
Posts: 1740
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Low oil pressure

Postby mlcoolj » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:09 am

after reading your first post again, that what you had isn't normal indeed lol.. Mine gets up when I start the car indeed...
Image

Trd Shane
Tezza Fanatic!
Posts: 232
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:44 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Low oil pressure

Postby Trd Shane » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:24 pm

mlcoolj wrote:after reading your first post again, that what you had isn't normal indeed lol.. Mine gets up when I start the car indeed...


Thankfully it was just the sender :D

Now to put the turbo kit on :) and all the other bits :D
"If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem"


Return to “Problems with your Altezza”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests