Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Car's pulling to the side

Any problems with your Altezza, post questions here
christonabike
Noob!

Car's pulling to the side

Postby christonabike » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:26 am

Hi, I hope someone can help...?

I've been having on-going issues with my Atezza pulling right when under power and then snapping back to the left once the power lets off. I've got it lowered on coilovers and had the full 4 wheel alignment done at the time hoping that would sort it out... it didn't.

My local garage thought it could be down to wheels and tyres so after a few months of looking I've just put a new set of rims on hoping this would sort it out but again, it hasn't! It has altered the problem slightly though as it now does exactly the same things, but in the completely opposite direction (ie: left under power and right when it lets off).

My original thoughts were that it was an issue with the rear differential giving different amounts of power to each side of the car, but as the issue has reversed itself with the addition of different wheels I'm now stumped again!

Any suggestions/ideas will be gratefully received!

Ae111RS200
Trc On!

Re: Car's pulling to the side

Postby Ae111RS200 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:40 am

did you checked steering rack and rear wheel bearings??

mike_01
Altezza Guru

Postby mike_01 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:22 pm

I had similar problem with my old car must have been something wrong with the wheels but did have a wheel bearing on it's way out, you checked tire pressures ball joints and track ends?

christonabike
Noob!

Postby christonabike » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:30 pm

erm, haven't really checked steering rack or wheel bearings but track rod side of things is fine. I'd have thought that wheel bearings would get picked up on an MOT, which it passed fine last month?

mlcoolj
Altezza Guru

Postby mlcoolj » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:37 pm

I had this very same problem.. twice! both were caused by different things...

1st: Car was pulling to the right under load, rear left tire pressure was wayyy too low, topped it off and all was fine.

2nd: two different models of michelin tires (thread was different) on the front, that was nasty, car pulled to the right again, drove around like that for a week until I got new tires.. after that all was fine...

christonabike
Noob!

Postby christonabike » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:00 pm

mlcoolj wrote:I had this very same problem.. twice! both were caused by different things...

1st: Car was pulling to the right under load, rear left tire pressure was wayyy too low, topped it off and all was fine.

2nd: two different models of michelin tires (thread was different) on the front, that was nasty, car pulled to the right again, drove around like that for a week until I got new tires.. after that all was fine...

My garage thought it might be the tyre tread patterns but i didn't think it'd make that much of a difference? taht's why i got the new wheels but i'll check the tread patterns and see if they're different.

thanks for the replies

christonabike
Noob!

Postby christonabike » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:00 pm

mlcoolj wrote:I had this very same problem.. twice! both were caused by different things...

My garage thought it might be the tyre tread patterns but i didn't think it'd make that much of a difference? taht's why i got the new wheels but i'll check the tread patterns and see if they're different.

thanks for the replies

mlcoolj
Altezza Guru

Postby mlcoolj » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:07 am

yeah, check it, I didn't think it would be all that either, until I bought some new tires...

townie
Trc Off

Postby townie » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:54 pm

christonabike wrote:Hi, I hope someone can help...?

I've been having on-going issues with my Atezza pulling right when under power and then snapping back to the left once the power lets off. I've got it lowered on coilovers and had the full 4 wheel alignment done at the time hoping that would sort it out... it didn't.

My local garage thought it could be down to wheels and tyres so after a few months of looking I've just put a new set of rims on hoping this would sort it out but again, it hasn't! It has altered the problem slightly though as it now does exactly the same things, but in the completely opposite direction (ie: left under power and right when it lets off).

My original thoughts were that it was an issue with the rear differential giving different amounts of power to each side of the car, but as the issue has reversed itself with the addition of different wheels I'm now stumped again!

Any suggestions/ideas will be gratefully received! definatley your tyre threads they must be different you can put two different threads on the rear but never the front causes car to pull right or left and when ya slow down snaps back into straight position buy 2 new tyres for the front hope this helps.

poTTa
Altezza Guru

Postby poTTa » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:31 am

did u check the differential mounts?

I had a similar problem befor I changed my steering rack bushings...car would tug to the rigjt under power in the wet...
I jacked up the front (wheels in the air), get a friend to rock the steering left to right and we could see that the rack was moving side to side in the mounting points...
2004 RS200 Z

Steve86
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby Steve86 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:00 pm

Visit Tony at WIMS, at:
http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/forum/ ... hp?act=idx

But u need to register first. He is a Guru in all suspension related issues.
I'm in the White House

ESXTEZZ
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby ESXTEZZ » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:39 pm

Sounds like the bushes are knackerd mate, u need to get underneath with a lever bar and check for play in the bushes on the the front and rear.

Tarh
Noob!

Postby Tarh » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:29 am

I had the same problem with my Tezza, I then changed the front shocks together with ball joints and rack ends, now It's all super . . . .

wullie_trd
Altezza Guru

Postby wullie_trd » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:11 pm

I'm currently suffering the same issues except its pulling left under load and snapping back right.
Had coilovers fitted couple of months ago and all seemed fine, only recently started feeling it pull.

To try solve the problem I've done a few things

4 tyres of same tread, make and of equal wear front and back
Checked tyre pressures - fine
Had all wheels balanced - fine
Had alignment done - fine
Geometry setup done - fine

Will also add replaced both rod ends when the suspension was fitted.

Hope to get a chance to take car down to my mates garage at some point for him to have a look at it.

If anyone else comes up with a solution would be good to know.

Return to “Problems with your Altezza”