Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

rattle

Any problems with your Altezza, post questions here
necrolust
Noob!

Re: rattle

Postby necrolust » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:22 am

I have this rattle too. Sounds like a bunch of coins shaken around inside a tin can... Tried heaps of things to pinpoint it so far with no luck.

Please post if you've found a solution

chewse
Trc Off

Postby chewse » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:42 pm

still a mystery

necrolust
Noob!

Postby necrolust » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:14 am

I get it on acceleration and I get a little "tic" when I blip the throttle on a downshift that coincides with an exhaust pop..

So strange and its 100% not detonation.

I've changed mufflers, got a whole new centre section of my exhaust, replaced gearbox fluid..

Sound is coming from the front of the car and doesn't do it after a good thrash

necrolust
Noob!

Postby necrolust » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:24 am

I've posted some audio clips on this thread. Is this the same sound?

http://z4.invisionfree.com/lexusaltezza ... opic=14160

chewse
Trc Off

Postby chewse » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:05 pm

necrolust wrote:I've posted some audio clips on this thread. Is this the same sound?

http://z4.invisionfree.com/lexusaltezza ... opic=14160

I had a similar rattle which was caused by the heatshield around the cats...removed most of it and the rattle is gone there is still one piece I haven't been able to cut out.........I believe wat happens is that the shield becomes rusty and there seems to be some material in it don't know if its sound deadening material but that material also breaks down and the sheild begins to vibrate especially under load and creates this rattling sound

chewse
Trc Off

Postby chewse » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:11 pm

I also discovered I had another horrible rattle yesterday...while travelling at speed on this rough ( road surface) road I could hear some very loud rattling it was kinda embarrassing...sounded like it was comin from the front wheels....I'm thinking maybe its the brake shields or maybe the brake pads moving around and hittin d caliper......any ideas?
What things or parts should I check

dezzah
Trc Off

Postby dezzah » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:47 pm

Do you have a HKS 4-1 manifold?
Check this thread - http://www.tezzaworld.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=9965 - if your noise is the same as the guy on the other forum its deffo the HKS manifold. That is exactly what mine sounded like and it took me forever to pinpoint the issue (its a plate inside the 4-1 part of the exhaust that gets loose btw).
Also I'm not a member at the other forum so if you could point the OP in the direction of the above link I suspect it will help him out (he states he has the HKS). :D

necrolust
Noob!

Postby necrolust » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:27 am

I have this

http://image.nengun.com/catalogue/350x2 ... header.jpg

So ............ this should be an easy fix then? is that plate removable?

EDIT: Read the 2nd page. f*** me. Okay, I'm gonna get on to this... Cheers f*** heaps

EDIT2: That was me on the other forum. Gonna ring around tomorrow to see who can weld stainless in my area

necrolust
Noob!

Postby necrolust » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:08 am

Again thanks so much, I didn't want to go through the hassle of taking the manifold off to a) not be able to see anything and b) waste my time for nothing!

EDIT: You took that plate out right? Notice any difference (for the worse)?

dezzah
Trc Off

Postby dezzah » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:51 pm

Hi - glad I could help - it drove me mental for ages! Yeah I took the plate right out and haven't noticed any difference whatsoever - apart from it sounds good again :D

Return to “Problems with your Altezza”