Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

power steering bleeding

Any problems with your Altezza, post questions here
Mickymoe
Trc Off

power steering bleeding

Postby Mickymoe » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:31 pm

Hi guys.

Fitted brand new power steering pump the other day as my mine died :( After fitting, of course there was air in the system. So did the usual bleeding procedure of taking the lid off the fluid reservoir, jacking up the car and turning wheel from side to side. The whining noise got alot quieter but it is still there. Tried this procedure for half an hour. Left the car over night with lid off (allowing air to travel to top and hopefully escape) and tried bleeding again but still no luck. The power steering works fine and there are no bubbles in the fluid when in normal operation.

Pretty sure it is still air trapped in the system as when i turn wheel from left to right a few times and check the reservoir, bubbles appear in the fluid for a minute or so.

So........anybody any tips or tricks on how to extract trapped air from the power steering system as the conventional way doesn't seem to be doing the job :(

Thanks in advance

stabby
Trc On!

Re: power steering bleeding

Postby stabby » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:36 pm

just wanted to know if you jacked up the car..
i did this last time and when the front wheels were in the air..then turning it left and right..
Try giving it some gas too..

Let us know if this helped..
1999 Altezza RS200-Z

Mickymoe
Trc Off

Postby Mickymoe » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:07 am

yeah car was jacked up.

is there a bleeding kit or anything you can get?

Tezza-Shea
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby Tezza-Shea » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:55 am

Did u get the pump from Toyota?

Mickymoe
Trc Off

Postby Mickymoe » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:14 am

No, got it from a guy in Clare. He always has ads on donedeal.ie

Alex-evita
Altezza Guru

Postby Alex-evita » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:26 am

did ya lock wheel for 10 sec between each turn?
do it once and do it right !!!

poTTa
Altezza Guru

Postby poTTa » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:39 am

One mistake is that after you fill the reservoir you should leave the engine off and still turn the steering left to right a couple of times with the wheels in the air...that gets most of the air out...then start the engine and do the same thing...
Did you fill the pump before you installed it?...
Also, did you flush the old fluid out?
2004 RS200 Z

Steve86
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby Steve86 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:15 am

Like poTTa said, raise the car off the ground with a car jack and place jack stands underneath to make steering easier. Lock all the equipment in place using the safety latches. Put a piece of vinyl tubing on the bleeder valve. Restart the engine and place a plastic container underneath the bleeder valve and vinyl tubing. Slowly open the valve with an adjustable wrench so you can bleed the power steering system of air and fluid, but be careful not to bleed the system completely dry. Turn the steering wheel sharply to the left and to the right and wait for about 10 sec at each turn a few times as Alex evita above said . Shut off the bleeder valve and add new power steering fluid. Continue to do this repeatedly until the bubbles no longer appear in the fluid

Hope this helps.
I'm in the White House

Mickymoe
Trc Off

Postby Mickymoe » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:19 pm

Yes i flushed the system and yes i filled the new pump before connecting it all up.

But no i didnt hold steering lock for 10 secs

Is there a valve on the altezza? Couldnt see one

Thanks for all the input

poTTa
Altezza Guru

Postby poTTa » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:48 pm

Ok...let's start from the beginning...
How did you know that the pump was going?
Did the steering get hard?
Was it leaking?
Are you sure that it was the pump making the noise?
My water pump started to go and I was thinking that it was the steering pump...
I took a piece of pipe and listen through it and touched various areas on the engine with the engine idling...that's how I determined it was the water pump and not the power steering pump...
Take a video with your engine idling and post it
2004 RS200 Z

Mickymoe
Trc Off

Postby Mickymoe » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:08 pm

Ok from beginning...

No noises, no leaking or signs of pump going....but then my power steering just died one day all together. Checked all steering components and everything was fine. Listening very closely to the the pump then you could here there was something gone. SO....

Bought new pump, fitted it as i stated above (flushed system and filled pump with fluid) then (while car was jacked up) i filled the reservoir and turned the car on. Very loud whining and fluid bubbled and over flowed a for a min as i turned steering back and forward. As i did this the whining got less and less, as did the bubbles in the reservoir until i thought i had cleared the air as there was no whining. But then as soon as i let the car off the jacks (and more working force was on the pump) a slight, but very annoying whine can still be heard.

As i also stated, looking into the reservoir while the car is runnning, there are no bubbles in the fluid BUT when i turn steering (while on the ground) a few times and check the reservoir again, some bubbles are apparent in the fluid for a few minutes.

Tried leaving bottle lid off over night and then more bleeding the next day, still no luck.

My powersteering works fine and there are no leaks. So..... was just looking to see if anyone had same problem or any tips/tricks. It is just an annoying whine, no mechanical problems.

Again...thanks

tezzax
Trc Off

Postby tezzax » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:56 pm

mine had issues too, went for days and didnt understand how this happened, bled the system to no avail. so i rechecked every pipe of the steering, my problem was around the reservoir.the rubber pipes were connected with their metal clips BUT on one pipe didnt the clip wasnt on point.so i put the clip back in its place and there was no air leak.

the way i bled it was put the lid in its place BUT not lock it in place just put the lid on the reservoir, and dont twist to LOCK just put it on, then go about steering left and right and 2 seconds on a each side lock. i did mine without jacking up. so your choice jack or not.

after doing the steering locks on each side like 5 times each side 2 seconds each lock, till there was no noise at all, i let the car run on idle for a while with that lid the way it was then i just twisted it to full lock. and then there was no noise at all. the car is still runing very well.

hope it helps.

beamsteza
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby beamsteza » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:25 am

poTTa wrote:One mistake is that after you fill the reservoir you should leave the engine off and still turn the steering left to right a couple of times with the wheels in the air...that gets most of the air out...then start the engine and do the same thing...
Did you fill the pump before you installed it?...
Also, did you flush the old fluid out?

X2

Should have bled with engine off first as the pump in the altezza pump are fussy when bleeding anyway just leave lid loose until its gone as one the lads said

Also try spraying some wd40 on the shaft of the pump see if noise goes its just the seal for bearing beding in iv had this problem more then once with new pump shaft bearings

Mickymoe
Trc Off

Postby Mickymoe » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:03 pm

Thanks for input lads. Even 2.5 months on its atill whining and now it sounds like the shaft bearing is whining also! Been meaning to flush system again and start from the start with brand new fluid but been very busy atm :( but when i fo get a chance i will try all that you lot have suggested. Nothing worse than a whining coming from under the bonnet!

Return to “Problems with your Altezza”