Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Broken wheel bolt.

Any problems with your Altezza, post questions here
sxe10mike
Tezza Fanatic!

Broken wheel bolt.

Postby sxe10mike » Sun May 26, 2013 11:43 am

Hi lads.

so the story is. I got new tyres for the car yesterday and put my new wheels on. But the young lad tightening my wheels broke one of the wheel bolts on the back passenger hub. I was wondering could I just take off the hub and disk and slot in a new bot or will I need to get a new hub?

Cheers, Mike.
Why complain when nobody listens?

AgtX
Trc Off

Re: Broken wheel bolt.

Postby AgtX » Sun May 26, 2013 11:46 am

drill it out or make a slot in it so you can use a screw driver to remove it or something like that..unless its cross threaded, then its bad.

sxe10mike
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby sxe10mike » Sun May 26, 2013 11:50 am

It's sheered right at the face of the hub. Is the bolt replaceable?

AgtX
Trc Off

Postby AgtX » Sun May 26, 2013 11:52 am

all you have to do is get the rest of it out, if its not cross threaded it should screw out, you just need to do something that will let you get a grip on it, like a groove to get a flat headed screwdriver in or I guess weld a head to it & remove it with grips. If its all ok afterward you can put a new bolt in.

sxe10mike
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby sxe10mike » Sun May 26, 2013 11:57 am

I must try that this week.

I will also need a new lug nut as rest of the hub bolt is in it.

If anyone has any for sale. Let me know. :)

beamsteza
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby beamsteza » Sun May 26, 2013 10:49 pm

Take off the caliper and disk then just tap through the bolt its just pushed in through the back with grooves to stop from turning

Main dealer part 5 6 euro then just push back through the back make sure its lined up ya will understand what i mean when ya get the bolt out

mike_01
Altezza Guru

Postby mike_01 » Mon May 27, 2013 10:11 am

Sorry but if a garage broke your car they should be fixing it for you, what did he use, never known that to happen unless he was using an impact gun for over a minute, best to check all wheels undo the them and redo them then at least you know they are all safe
also change garage :wink:

poTTa
Altezza Guru

Postby poTTa » Mon May 27, 2013 3:49 pm

So far you guys are talking in Latin with broken French as slang... :lol:

Stay off the other 3 wheels.
Take off the wheel again.
Take off the caliper.
Take off the brake disc/drum using a hammer and block of wood. Few solid taps and pull it off.
Take a smaller diameter bolt or and knock out the broken stud from the wheel axle flange.

Get the new stud bolt, apply sparing amounts of Loctite to the locking threads, NOT THE WHEEL NUT THREADS, and tactically get the stud behind the flange and send it through the hole.
Use a big washer and an open end nut and tighten the stud into place. It will get very tight as the nut squeezes the washer, a point will come when the nut will not turn.
Back off the nut, take off washer, apply a small amount of oil onto the studs threads,
Install the disc/drum
Drop your handbrake, press the caliper piston so that it clears the pads and bolts back on
Install wheel with nuts...
Do a 3rd gear drift to check if stud holds... :mrgreen:
2004 RS200 Z

sxe10mike
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby sxe10mike » Mon May 27, 2013 9:28 pm

poTTa wrote:So far you guys are talking in Latin with broken French as slang... :lol:

Stay off the other 3 wheels.
Take off the wheel again.
Take off the caliper.
Take off the brake disc/drum using a hammer and block of wood. Few solid taps and pull it off.
Take a smaller diameter bolt or and knock out the broken stud from the wheel axle flange.

Get the new stud bolt, apply sparing amounts of Loctite to the locking threads, NOT THE WHEEL NUT THREADS, and tactically get the stud behind the flange and send it through the hole.
Use a big washer and an open end nut and tighten the stud into place. It will get very tight as the nut squeezes the washer, a point will come when the nut will not turn.
Back off the nut, take off washer, apply a small amount of oil onto the studs threads,
Install the disc/drum
Drop your handbrake, press the caliper piston so that it clears the pads and bolts back on
Install wheel with nuts...
Do a 3rd gear drift to check if stud holds... :mrgreen:

Liking this information. :D Cheers.

And Mike, a young lad used the gun to tighten it.

I tightened the other wheels myself. :)

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Tue May 28, 2013 1:03 pm

Always keep spares of these for some reason no matter what way there tightened there like butter :( I have to change a good few off mine over the last 4years

Return to “Problems with your Altezza”