Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Vibration after fitting Exedy clutch.

Any problems with your Altezza, post questions here
GordonRS200
Trc Off

Vibration after fitting Exedy clutch.

Postby GordonRS200 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:53 pm

So I finally got round to fitting the new Exedy clutch, Techniclutch flywheel and replacement 6speed manual box in the RS yesterday.

My original box had begun to turn it's internals into swarf, so that had to come out. The new box (aquired from someone on here) is ok, a little whiney but since the old box had a rattle so loud I can't tell if a little whine is normal.
I'd heard scare stories of techniclutch flywheels, so I made sure I had it's balance checked by a local engineering company. The OK was given, so wasn't worried about that.
While the box and flywheel were coming off anyway, I got myself an Exedy clutch kit to fit while it was all apart (the clutch was apparently replaced a year or so before I bought the car but there was no paperwork to back it up so...)

Flywheel went in fine, clutch went in fine, gearbox went in fine (speed sensor got stuck in the old box so currently have no speedo and a flashing TRC warning) All fitted fine.

However, when I started the engine there is a considerable vibration, enough to rattle interior pannels, and significantly more than I had with the previous setup ((unknown brand of solid lightened f/wheel and Exedy clutch)

Since the flywheel has been confirmed as balanced the only thing I can think of it being is the clutch pressure plate. The old Exedy plate had a small square of metal spot welded to one edge which i can only assume is there for balancing, which I don't remember the new one having). Either that or the pressure plate mounting points on the flywheel are slightly eccentric causing the plate to be misaligned?

Really annoyed now as clearly the box has got to come out again! :x

Has anyone heard of Exedy plates leaving the factory with a misbalance? Or is the culprit more likely to be the Techniclutch (mixed reviews online) flywheel?

inb4 "shouldn't have bought cheap parts" and "Buy ebay parts, they said. It'll be fine, they said" etc etc :oops:

banan1984
Altezza Guru

Re: Vibration after fitting Exedy clutch.

Postby banan1984 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:47 pm

Is it only when car idle? I think the culprit is Your crankshaft because it is still on it full weight. If I am incorrect please correct me :)
D700 / RS200

GordonRS200
Trc Off

Postby GordonRS200 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:55 pm

It varies through the revs, not just at idle.

Not quite sure how changing a clutch would suddenly cause a crankshaft imbalance? The only bits that have changed are the clutch and wheel, so surely has to be one of those that's the cause?

banan1984
Altezza Guru

Postby banan1984 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:20 pm

I did some research about lightened flywheels and impact on the car. Get to the point where some people on different cars are having problem with revs while car idle (shacking), but only idle. And then ask some mechanic and they said that really You should get lightened crankshaft as well, to get all in right balance.
D700 / RS200

poTTa
Altezza Guru

Postby poTTa » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:31 pm

What Exedy clutch kit do you have?

Also...did you get new flywheel bolts and a new Release bearing (installed correctly)?
Did you use a clutch alignment tool? I know the Exedy kits do not come with a tool.
Did you change the Rear engine seal and Pilot Bearing?
2004 RS200 Z

tomo
Altezza Guru

Postby tomo » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:33 pm

Does putting you're food on clutch make a difference? Does the clutch work ok with no judder?

poTTa
Altezza Guru

Postby poTTa » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:54 pm

^ ^ ^ what he said also

when/if you pick down the box again...inspect the flywheel for hot spots.
I've read that you will get some chatter by switching from a dual-mass to Single-mass on most cars...

Other forums say that it could be a mis-alignment of clutch and/or pressure plate, worn bearings, oil on the flywheel or clutch surfaces, unlevel flywheel surface, bad master and/or slave cylinder, gearbox gear disintegration, overtighten flywheel bolts, loose or worn gearbox mounts...

Or...or...what you are experiencing is completely normal...lol...
2004 RS200 Z

GordonRS200
Trc Off

Postby GordonRS200 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:52 pm

poTTa wrote:What Exedy clutch kit do you have?
Just the standard replacement one, nothing fancy as the engine is stock.

Also...did you get new flywheel bolts
No.

and a new Release bearing (installed correctly)?
Yes.

Did you use a clutch alignment tool? I know the Exedy kits do not come with a tool.
Yes.

Did you change the Rear engine seal and Pilot Bearing?
No, but the pilot bearing was checked and was fine, as was the seal.

tomo wrote:Does putting you're food on clutch make a difference?
No, it does it clutch up or down.

Does the clutch work ok with no judder?
It seems to. The only judder I get when pulling away at 2k rpm is the same as just holding the revs at 2k

poTTa wrote:I've read that you will get some chatter by switching from a dual-mass to Single-mass on most cars...
The car has had a single mass lightened flywheel since I've had it, but it's never felt like this before.

Other forums say that it could be a mis-alignment of clutch and/or pressure plate Certainly an option, Misalighed pressure plate popped to mind (especially if the 3 hole PCD was slightly off center on the Fly), worn bearings In the gearbox? Or engine?(Is Crank-Walk a problem on the 3SGE Beams engine? But then this wouldn't explain why a simple clutch change would suddenly cause this), oil on the flywheel or clutch surfaces, It does it when the clutch is fully down and fully engaged, it's not just during slip. unlevel flywheel surfaceDefinitely a concern wth it being a Techniclutch fly..., bad master and/or slave cylinder These are the same as before., gearbox gear disintegration I bloody hope not :lol: , overtighten flywheel bolts Could this warp the flywheel if they're not done correctly? (Had the work done at a local garage who assured me they used torque settings etc), loose or worn gearbox mounts...Possibility, but these are the same mounts that I was running yesterday morning on the way TO the garage when it was fine.

Or...or...what you are experiencing is completely normal...lol...Again, it wasn't like this driving it to the garage, only driving it home.

I've currently got the old clutch and fly over at the place that checked the balance of my new flywheel so see if they're balanced together. If they're fine then the box is coming out tomorrow night and they're going back in to see if it sorts the problem. At the end of the day, the only reason the box came out was cos the old box was shafted and I replaced these parts as a service item since I didn't know the quality/age/condition of the originals. Oh hindsight... :lol:

poTTa
Altezza Guru

Postby poTTa » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:17 pm

ok...well...your gearbox, clutch, release bearing and flywheel are the new parts...
how certain are you about the state of the gearbox?
You said you had a similar flywheel before...and new flywheel was checked by NASA... :lol:
I think it could be a mis-alignment and/or something's loose...
Get your shop to check properly and give an opinion before you go pulling down the box...
2004 RS200 Z

GordonRS200
Trc Off

Postby GordonRS200 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:02 pm

poTTa wrote:ok...well...your gearbox, clutch, release bearing and flywheel are the new parts...
how certain are you about the state of the gearbox? I was assured by a forum member it was ok (he shall remain nameless until it's all running fine with no issues :lol: ). It certainly sounds ok being driven. The vibration is there even when stationary with the clutch down though (box not spinning) so suggests the issue isn't being caused by the box?
You said you had a similar flywheel before...and new flywheel was checked by NASA... :lol: Haha, well, the guy that did it has done his own machined flywheels before and had no issued after so I'm confident he knew what he was doing.
I think it could be a mis-alignment and/or something's loose...
Get your shop to check properly and give an opinion before you go pulling down the box... I rang them yesterday to have a chat about it. They're certain it all went back together fine. At the end of the day they didn't supply any of the parts and just fitted what I gave them so un;essI find something has been fitted wrong they're in the clear. Since it all came apart 2 days ago I'm hoping it'll be an eary removal as nothing should be seized on. I'm just finishing work and trying to psyche myself up to go home and get it done.

poTTa
Altezza Guru

Postby poTTa » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:32 pm

I wish u well my friend...
I was going to get a Techniclutch flywheel...not saying that this is the problem here...but i think i will go for a branded flywheel...
2004 RS200 Z

GordonRS200
Trc Off

Postby GordonRS200 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:00 pm

Well, we tore it all apart on Friday night and found the clutch pressure plate was out of balance (borrowed the wheel balancer from the eng. place I went to before) so fitted the pressure plate to the old flywheel (lighter than the new techniclutch one) and rebalanced it as an assembly.

She's running nice and smooth again now :D

Techniclutch wheel was indeed fine, but found the old fly was even lighter and also balanced, so I guess I didn't need a new one afterall. So...
poTTa wrote:I was going to get a Techniclutch flywheel...not saying that this is the problem here...but i think i will go for a branded flywheel...

Got a Techi going spare if you need one :lol:

98altezza
Noob!

Postby 98altezza » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:29 pm

Pm me a price on they flywheel please

poTTa
Altezza Guru

Postby poTTa » Mon May 13, 2013 2:11 pm

Fitted my clutch, pressure plate and flywheel over the weekend.
I haven't pushed the car yet though...still breaking in...but it feels much lighter now.
Revs are climbing and dropping quicker.
One thing i noticed is that where i use 3rd gear in turns with the Dual-mass anchor it would drive smooth. With this new setup however i get some clutch judder...revs drop much faster...have to re-write my driving style into my brain...

Very good pressure plate however...pedal is softer than oem... :D
2004 RS200 Z

Return to “Problems with your Altezza”