Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Problem starting the car

Any problems with your Altezza, post questions here
jarocki
Altezza Guru

Problem starting the car

Postby jarocki » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:12 am

So on Sunday afternoon I went to my car to start it having just driven it Saturday evening. It was ticking over fine but just would not fire up. After countless efforts it went to as if the battery was dead and would tick over. I rang the 24hr breakdown assistance and after attaching the battery pack it eventually started. That usually starts it straight away. So I drove it fine all day monday to work. Then after work yesterday it wouldn't start again. My friend jump started it again. Took few goes so went down to mechanic after work and he replaced the battery again hoping for easy fix. Then this morning for work it wouldn't start. This time no ticking over just as if the battery was dead. But having just put in new battery yesterday I know it's not battery problem.

What is causing this?

mike_01
Altezza Guru

Re: Problem starting the car

Postby mike_01 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:38 am

Could be the starter motor or possible it could be the battery terminal not connecting or a break in the wire or loose where the cable is clamped into the terminal

jarocki
Altezza Guru

Postby jarocki » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:37 pm

It's strange though. Could it have anything to do with the alternator?

mlcoolj
Altezza Guru

Postby mlcoolj » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:46 pm

is the new battery flat? checked that? maybe there's a light or something staying on decharging the battery?

jarocki
Altezza Guru

Postby jarocki » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:51 pm

When I started the car up after installing it it started first time. And then this morning nothing. A few tries of starting it then bout 5th go it started as normal.

mike_01
Altezza Guru

Postby mike_01 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:54 pm

+1

If the alternator wasn't putting enough charge into the battery the battery light would come on and you'd probally break down somewhere while driving as a battery will last around 10 min without being charged before car dies
worth getting a multimeter across the battery to check charge say 13v then start the car and check the voltage if no change then the alternator is duff, you should be around 15v+ but each car differs so would have to find out what the output is of the alternator

jarocki
Altezza Guru

Postby jarocki » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:53 pm

What's annoying is what happened on Sunday where it was ticking over but just wouldn't start!

mlcoolj
Altezza Guru

Postby mlcoolj » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:05 pm

are you getting a good spark from the plugs?

jarocki
Altezza Guru

Postby jarocki » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:08 pm

Well I just changed the plugs at the last service about 2 months ago. And no problems with them.

mlcoolj
Altezza Guru

Postby mlcoolj » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:04 am

the weird thing is, that when it starts it runs fine lol... that I don't get... other wise I would say, fuel pump.. but I think it's definitely a loose connection somewhere?

jarocki
Altezza Guru

Postby jarocki » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:52 pm

Well rang the mechanic and it started fine this morning and this evening. He said the starter motor was fine and the connections on it. God this is annoying.

Damok

Postby Damok » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:57 pm

Something like that happened me a few weeks ago and about two years ago, Two years ago I had to put a new battery in because it turned out to be old and to small for the new alarm and then a few weeks ago it was going dead and went dead. The car was turning on, lights, head unit and rsm but the volts were well down(the reading on the RSM) and the car wouldnt turn/fire at all.. I took the battery out and left it charge for 24hours and it was fine then. The car has been on some nice long drives and in use almost every day since and is ok :?
Newbie click the link, $ $ $ $ $
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

jdmatt89
Trc On!

Postby jdmatt89 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:19 am

a boy in our work had the same thing happen with his mk5 golf, battery went dead, replaced it then same then again when he came to a set of traffic lights the whole thing died and would turn over but not fire up. he took it to a mechanic and they said it was the fuel pump or fuel filter, both were replaced and its been running 100% ever since

jarocki
Altezza Guru

Postby jarocki » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:05 pm

I just replaced the fuel filter about a year ago at this stage so maybe could be the fuel pump. Will check it out.

jarocki
Altezza Guru

Postby jarocki » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:26 pm

My mechanic said a fuel pump would not be an intermittent fault thought it would just stop working??

Return to “Problems with your Altezza”