Page 1 of 1

timing belt close call

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:27 pm
by coolrides
had my belt done and water pump done today at 97000 miles and it was very close to no engine left. big chunks missing and threads hanging out. could have been expensive if had of left it any longer. also the water pump had leaked lots of pink gunk in behind the belt cover which was not helping.

if in doubt get it done!!!

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:41 pm
by james1485
u were lucky enough ther. would of been an excuse for a beams conversion :wink:

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:57 pm
by Noel
Lucky for you :wink:

but i've been told that the 1g-fe is a non interference engine, but wouldn't advise testing ....

AFAIK Lexus UK revised the timing belt change interval from 100k miles (10 years) down to 60k miles (6 years) a few years ago...

most people with Jap imports change the belt fairly soon after getting it just in case the cars been clocked :( ...

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:21 am
by Evelyn
Noel wrote:most people with Jap imports change the belt fairly soon after getting it just in case the cars been clocked :( ...


Thats why I changed mine, if in doubt, just do it.........I had 1 timing belt brake on me, no fault of the car or me, they tightened the timing belt tensioner bolt too tight. So I would pay for a proper kit & someone reputable to fit it…..

Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:00 pm
by coolrides
james1485 wrote:u were lucky enough ther. would of been an excuse for a beams conversion :wink:


i like the noise of the 6 cylinder even if it is slower than tezzas 4. getting nitrous kit for 225bhp so should help when needed. if had the money it would get supra conversion in.

what power has a standard beams engine?

Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:01 pm
by coolrides
james1485 wrote:u were lucky enough ther. would of been an excuse for a beams conversion :wink:


where abouts in the north you from mate.

Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:12 pm
by Noel
coolrides wrote:
what power has a standard beams engine?


factory quote 210ps which is 207bhp approx for manuals but most tested over here make around the 190's ... :wink:

good luck getting insurance for nitrous :?

Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:09 am
by coolrides
Noel wrote:
coolrides wrote:
what power has a standard beams engine?


factory quote 210ps which is 207bhp approx for manuals but most tested over here make around the 190's ... :wink:

good luck getting insurance for nitrous :?


already got a quote from adrian flux tpft for 640pound. not bad. and thats for 225bhp

Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:13 am
by shakey
coolrides wrote:already got a quote from adrian flux tpft for 640pound. not bad. and thats for 225bhp

ya heard of him alrite he is meant to be pretty good...wonder he insure this end of the island??

Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:34 am
by coolrides
shakey wrote:
coolrides wrote:already got a quote from adrian flux tpft for 640pound. not bad. and thats for 225bhp

ya heard of him alrite he is meant to be pretty good...wonder he insure this end of the island??


give them a bell 08000890331. mods dont seem to be a problem with them.

Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:44 pm
by awis200
they do this me mate works in toyota and sees it now and again if you do be driven hard or diffin you would want to check it now and againt to be safe