Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

shock top mounts on the front

Want to know what to brakes/springs to buy?
darragh m
Noob!

shock top mounts on the front

Postby darragh m » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:06 pm

i have a 2001 tezza and there is a banging starting to come when i go over bad bumps in the roads (F***ing irish roads) i have checked all other bushes under the car and they are a1 not even a half mill of play in any of them! just wondering what way the top mounts are set up and can there be much wear in them??? i have just never droped the suspension since i have got it.. can anyone help or someone who has had the similar problems?? sorry may help to say what set up i have there just bilstein shock and springs
objects in the mirror are losing

mike_01
Altezza Guru

Re: shock top mounts on the front

Postby mike_01 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:16 pm

depends on how many mile's car done and how much it's been dry steered, would more than most likely be these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-REAR-STABILIZER ... 33573b7eca
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-FRONT-Stabilize ... 4a9b541a34

darragh m
Noob!

Postby darragh m » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:58 pm

no the drop links are all good its the shock tops that are making the noise. put it up on the lift at work?? does anybodyknow how much they are or where i can get them?

mike_01
Altezza Guru

Postby mike_01 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:08 am

sure it's not as mine look and have no play in them but from experience of having jap car's and learning the expensive way have alway's found it to be the drop links, if your 100% sure then the best place is either nick or lexus/toyota, best to get a quote off them all just to make sure your getting a good price 8)

jarocki
Altezza Guru

Postby jarocki » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:18 am

im getting a squeeky noise going over ramps coming from the front suspension myself. is this the kind of noise that your getting? its quite annoying at this stage.

k900
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby k900 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:56 pm

Could be valves inside the shocks.
They do start to knock and u might not notice anything wrong with the shock.

k900
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby k900 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:01 pm

Oh yeah, KYB shocks from motor factors are about €70 each, top mounts are between 20 and €30 each.

darragh m
Noob!

Postby darragh m » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:34 pm

mine is just a thud just like an unreal banging noize i relly hate it! lazyness is getting the better of me after a day in work im going at it 2moro evening as i have to free a caliper out and stick in new pads

Esmo
Noob!

Postby Esmo » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:11 pm

Howaya Lads,
I have a similar problem. Before I had a good bit of knocking from the front so I had a good look under the car to see could I find anything. Turned out one of my shocks were leaking and there was a good bit of play from one of the lower ball joints. So I changed both lower ball joints, shocks and top mounts and also front anti roll bar bushes. That sorted the problem for a good few months. But now I have been getting that squeaking noise when going over speed bumps that one of the lads has mentioned. So now its a case of either the top wishbones or the sway links. I'm thinking its the wishbones as they would squeak...anyone have any suggestions? I don't think sway links squeak?

Altezzahead
Cork rep

Postby Altezzahead » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:26 pm

I had sqeeking every time I went over speed bumps until i changed my front ball joints and the bushings in the wishbones (caster arms) ... hasnt come back since. :D

Esmo
Noob!

Postby Esmo » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:11 pm

Yeah I think it has to be the top wishbone bushings. Did you just change the bushes and not the whole arm? If so, how did you get the bushing out and the new ones back in? Do you need a press or something for doing them? :P

Altezzahead
Cork rep

Postby Altezzahead » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:02 pm

Esmo wrote:Yeah I think it has to be the top wishbone bushings. Did you just change the bushes and not the whole arm? If so, how did you get the bushing out and the new ones back in? Do you need a press or something for doing them? :P

No I just changed the bushings , got them off nick (the site trader) . He had TRD ones , Toyota wont sell the bushings on there own , have to buy the whole arm which is way to expensive. Yes the old ones were pressed out and new ones pressed back in.

jarocki
Altezza Guru

Postby jarocki » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:08 pm

im in the middle of ordering top wishbones and lower ball joints off nick and i have the squeeky noise going over ramps so ill let you know how i get on after it all gets fitted.

Esmo
Noob!

Postby Esmo » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:07 pm

Yeah nice one dude cheers!

jarocki
Altezza Guru

Postby jarocki » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:16 pm

Altezzahead wrote:I had sqeeking every time I went over speed bumps until i changed my front ball joints and the bushings in the wishbones (caster arms) ... hasnt come back since. :D

and have you noticed much better handling since you have changed? i.e a bit stiffer i suppose?

Return to “Brakes and Suspension”