Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Fitted XYZ Coilovers to my Tezz this weekend

Want to know what to brakes/springs to buy?
TSS Baz
Trc Off

Fitted XYZ Coilovers to my Tezz this weekend

Postby TSS Baz » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:34 pm

Hi Folks,

The reason for my Suspension change is shown below, Broken spring and leaking shock :o

Just thought I would let folks know about the XYZ Super sport Coilover kit I have just fitted onto the Altezza. To say I am a novice mechanic is an understatement :shock: I am a prime example of all the gear and no idea :lol: :lol: :lol: But I wasn't going to let this stop me so once the set had arrived from Chris @ CTC Performace I was busy checking out "How to's" on various site/forums and even watching clips on "you tube" for ideas and tricks to help me understand. Suspension is complete new ground for me and a kind of blackmagic/witchcraft thatI have never understood :roll: .

Well armed with all the tools and a gravel drive and axel stands I set to work on the front, I was told that you needed a ball joint splitter to remove the old spring and this bit worried me the most but after some head scratching I could see a way to thread the old unit out by releasing the ARB so that was my plan. after taking all my measurements and a bit of huffing and puffing 15mins later it was out. A bit of a clean up around the top of the strut and we were ready to insert the nice new shiney Coilover. Now unlike many folk I wanted my ride height back to normal as I was fed up of scraping hedgehogs off the rd so I adjusted the unit, put wheel back on lowered car a few times until I was happy then I knew I had the correct height for the opp side. Once complete and all finished the opp side took a 1/3rd of the time as I had the coilover already setup ready to go on :D

Then onto the back with one side taking longer due to set up again but overall only took 2hrs to do the rear (Mainly due to constant jacking and un-jacking :roll: )

So overall the whole car took about 5 hrs from start to finish inc a lot of cleaning as I do like to clean (ask Netty) :roll: to say I am pleased with the result is an understatement, the car feels so much more planted on fast bends and absorbs our crapy rds so much better, I have them set on 15clicks which is middle ground so would imagine for the rd the hard setting will be very nice. wil report back how it feels on hard in a week or so.

Below are a few pics, it seems a shame to hide such pretty things under the car :roll:

I was very impressed by the build quality of these units and would say they are going to last a long time,I have seen the XYZ brake kits a Fensport and was very impressed by them and the Coilovers are equally as good.

Many thanks to Chris @ CTC Performance. http://www.ctc-performance.co.uk/

Regards
http://WWW.TOYOTA-SPRINT-SERIES.COM

I'm all GT-Foured out now, Had 6 to date, "Beams" engined Altezza is all I need to keep me JDM, slammed of course ;-)

Alex-evita
Altezza Guru

Re: Fitted XYZ Coilovers to my Tezz this weekend

Postby Alex-evita » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:59 pm

lovely 8)
do it once and do it right !!!

Damok

Postby Damok » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:01 pm

Looks cool , Sits nice 8)
Newbie click the link, $ $ $ $ $
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

choopz
Altezza Guru

Postby choopz » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:19 am

Very nice :wink:
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

mlcoolj
Altezza Guru

Postby mlcoolj » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:51 pm

very very nice!

Robin H
Southern England Rep

Postby Robin H » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:03 pm

very nice work

Enjoyed reading the write up and some good pics as well
Deals on Anodised Altezza parts.... cooling panels and battery bars..

If you are a UK member and interested in club meets please sign up here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7729

Please Support TezzaWorld
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8309

Club stickers
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8724

Blitz Turbo Altezza RS220
I wish I had more time.....

Altezzahead
Cork rep

Postby Altezzahead » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:11 pm

nice job on them, they look to nice to be hidden :) good write up to.

TSS Baz
Trc Off

Postby TSS Baz » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:07 pm

Just an small update a week on from fitting and having been driving on all settings and had the car 4wheel aligned.

Soft setting feels like a near standard setup although my Tezz had standard shocks and cheap lowering springs the soft setting is a nicer ride than before.

15 clicks, The car feels far flatter in the bends but still has too much body roll for me.

Hard setting all round, on smooth roads the car feels its best ever but still a bit of bady roll, easier to get the rear out and drift the bends though.

Today I have changed all the droplinks and ARB bushes for new superpro ones and the difference is amazing, The whole car seems to be sooo tight and solid and feels like its all working together to give a perfect drive, nice and flat in the bends and NO dip and lift when accelerating and braking. This is the setup up I have wanted for a long time. Still learning though so I'm sure there is a better setup in this car but I don't have the knowledge yet to find it :( .

Big thumbs up for the XYZ coilovers and superpro bushes.
http://WWW.TOYOTA-SPRINT-SERIES.COM

I'm all GT-Foured out now, Had 6 to date, "Beams" engined Altezza is all I need to keep me JDM, slammed of course ;-)

babyeater690
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby babyeater690 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:26 pm

tightn the spring up if you want it harder and lower the car using the bottom hight adjustment ive got tein in mine and hate them
far to soft im lookin to get a set of these with adjustable camber arms how much did these set you back
Do De Donut :P!!!!!

Soiled
Altezza Guru

Postby Soiled » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:14 am

If you haven't already and want to go a step further... get stiffer sway bars to help with keeping the body flat around corners that way you can lower the damper rate on your coilovers and lose some of the skittishness (is that a word? haha) you get with having hard suspension.

Return to “Brakes and Suspension”