Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Tyre catching wheel arch one side???

Want to know what to brakes/springs to buy?
Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:22 pm

Hi, have a 99 altezza, when i first got the car, when i put people in the back there was a awfull rubbing noise in the r/h rear brought it to my mate. He looked and said it was down in one side about 3" on the l/h and only about 2" on the r/h. So we changed springs hoping that would solve it but still have the same problem.

Put in the regular springs took out lower. I know it only catching on side because we can see it in the tyre.

I even got the camber checked he said it was fine. My mate said there is no visable leaks in the shocks?? Should I get them checked on some rolling road?? Its kind of pi**ing me off at the moment everyone want a spin the car but there hearing this awfull noise thinking I have a heap of s**t.

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:27 pm

sound like a dead shock or else a ball joint is gone maybe, you can usually see a shock is bad because it leaking. maybe all the fluid came out before the knocking started

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:54 pm

There doesnt seem to be any knocking, just everytime you hit a bump theres this tearing noise off the tyre. Just one adult in back does this. I do have 18" x 7.5j I was told this might be the problem but why one side?

3S-GE
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby 3S-GE » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:02 pm

remember its the rh side that you sit on too...
BEAMS: Breakthrough Engine with Advanced Mechanism System.

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:43 pm

Ya but I am lower in the front and regular springs in back. They noise is even there when I put someone in the l/h rear it just needs any weight in the back (even 6 boxes of miller & me on my own)

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:07 pm

seems like dodgy shocks to me. only way to tell for sure is to try get them repaired or replaced, 130 euro each i think from Toyota

i have 4 standard shocks if u want to borrow 2 of them to try out

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:07 pm

Ya I will get it tested on rolling road first & give you a shout then. Not too sure if it is shocks will i put back the lowering springs. She looks a small bit like a hot rod low in the front and high in the back.

For better handling it would be probably better to even it out either way.
Thanks I will let you know how I get on.

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:09 pm

rolling road wont tell you if you suspension is bad! it purely only for power runs etc, it would tell you if your clutch was slipping or ur tyres need replacing it but thats all

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:31 pm

Just got off the phone to a garage that has a machine for testing shocks like the N.C.T. centre it will give the precentage each side. Hopefully he will test it before end of week.

Bobby
South East Rep

Re: Tyre catching wheel arch one side???

Postby Bobby » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:10 pm

lakerslady wrote:Ya but I am lower in the front and regular springs in back. They noise is even there when I put someone in the l/h rear it just needs any weight in the back (even 6 boxes of miller & me on my own)

and i thought i had a drinking problem :lol:

the 2 back tyres are the same in size?

and the camber is definitly ok?

the arch hasn't got a bit of a tip by any chance, poorly repaired?
I BEG TO DIFF-ER!!

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:21 pm

I had to get 2 new tyres recently they were fitted on the back and its worse since because it had the other one wore down. I just confirmed it was the tyre rubbing when I got the new one. The tyres are the same size and he double checked camber due to it being rear wheel drive. The body work on the car seems fine but it hard to tell with white.

Bobby
South East Rep

Postby Bobby » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:45 pm

strange the way it's only on the left side do as there is no adjustment for the rear axel as such i.e. it cannot be moved left or right, :? the ony thing i can think of is to check your quarter panel make sure it hasn't been damaged previously,you can check the panel from inside the car by removing one side of the boot panel and have a look down see if there is any sign of repair work.
I BEG TO DIFF-ER!!

alimac
Trc Off

Postby alimac » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:46 am

Is your inner guard fixed in properly. I had an issue with mine making a strange noise a 100km/h just after I got it. Turned out the front left inner guard was loose and a 100 it was moving back and rubbing on the tyre. Just a thought.
98 RS200z 6MT

Evelyn

Postby Evelyn » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:42 am

No it is diffently catching on arch.

I have that noise in the front when I am parking the car & I know it the wing liner getting that fixed with service next week.

Noel

Postby Noel » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:48 am

easy.... you have the Wrong offset :wink:

standard wheels are ET 45-50, what are those? ET 30ish? :?

should be stamped on the inner side of the spokes, take off a wheel

Return to “Brakes and Suspension”