Page 1 of 2

Brake Caliper Slide Pin Bush..........

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:45 pm
by raffo
Just wondering if the little rubber bush that's on the slide pin (part number 47769-50010) can be got anywhere other than toyota? Don't want to bother Nick with such a little thing and toyota want to charge me €4.75 each :shock:

Problem is that every time i take out the slide bolt (changed brake pads on saturday), the bush comes off it and then for some reason it seems to stretch so it's too big on refitting so it's useless................so i want to get a few of these to have if/when needed.Anyone know if a motor factors would stock them?

Re: Brake Caliper Slide Pin Bush..........

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:41 pm
by Evelyn
Is it on the end of the slider pin? Is there only 1 per slider (so 4 in total)? I have to re-check mine there still sticking :roll: :roll: & I just wounding when I do where they should be seated?

Re: Brake Caliper Slide Pin Bush..........

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:50 pm
by raffo
Ye, it sits in a groove on 1 of the slide pins per caliper, so 2 in total. Just there to stop rattles basically

Re: Brake Caliper Slide Pin Bush..........

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:51 pm
by Evelyn
There the pins on the bottom of the caliper?

Re: Brake Caliper Slide Pin Bush..........

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:56 pm
by raffo
Ye, there's a slide pin on top and bottom of the front 2 calipers............the bottom one has that bush on it. Caused me a lot of hassle last summer when it was pretty much melted into the metal of the caliper

Re: Brake Caliper Slide Pin Bush..........

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:00 pm
by Evelyn
I must look out for is so when I have to rip it for the 100th time :roll:

Re: Brake Caliper Slide Pin Bush..........

Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:31 pm
by k900
I noticed the same. I thought it might be the type of grease I'm using might be f**king up the rubber.

Re: Brake Caliper Slide Pin Bush..........

Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:05 pm
by raffo
k900 wrote:I noticed the same. I thought it might be the type of grease I'm using might be f**king up the rubber.



Could well be, i think the safe/proper grease to use is a silicone based grease, or synthetic based

Re: Brake Caliper Slide Pin Bush..........

Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:42 pm
by k900
@raffo I've always used copper grease.
Not sure if that's good or bad :roll:
@Evelyn it seems the sliding pins and pistons are known for sticking.
Here's a couple of pics of my caliper showing the cause of sticky piston
http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab27/k900/755f98f1.jpg
http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab27/k900/7eb34d07.jpg

Re: Brake Caliper Slide Pin Bush..........

Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:15 pm
by tomo
the best sort of grease to use is molybdenum grease or lithium grease i have found.

copperslip is good for the top and bottom of the brake pads etc but i have found that it tends to dry out.

and raffo im not all that sure what bit you are talking about but i expect you can only get them from toyota/lexus.

Re: Brake Caliper Slide Pin Bush..........

Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:17 pm
by raffo
tomo wrote:the best sort of grease to use is molybdenum grease or lithium grease i have found.

copperslip is good for the top and bottom of the brake pads etc but i have found that it tends to dry out.

and raffo im not all that sure what bit you are talking about but i expect you can only get them from toyota/lexus.



on about the small rubber bush, Num. 47769 in the link. Lookin like toyota is the only option alrite

Re: Brake Caliper Slide Pin Bush..........

Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:03 pm
by Evelyn
k900 wrote:@Evelyn it seems the sliding pins and pistons are known for sticking.
Here's a couple of pics of my caliper showing the cause of sticky piston
http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab27/k900/755f98f1.jpg
http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab27/k900/7eb34d07.jpg


New pistons and seals gone in on the l/h side and the slider pins were done a yr ago still the same way, not as bad but from time to time its getting hot

Re: Brake Caliper Slide Pin Bush..........

Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:09 pm
by raffo
k900 wrote:@raffo I've always used copper grease.
Not sure if that's good or bad :roll:
@Evelyn it seems the sliding pins and pistons are known for sticking.
Here's a couple of pics of my caliper showing the cause of sticky piston
http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab27/k900/755f98f1.jpg
http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab27/k900/7eb34d07.jpg



according to an old toyota manual i have here, when working on brakes the thing to use on the rubber seals is lithium soap base glycol grease :?

Re: Brake Caliper Slide Pin Bush..........

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:14 pm
by Evelyn
Image

They the seals ur missing? My top pin is pitted again only is a year, but theres a wee tear in my boot that covers it aswell so that would explain something. I have to get another pin and seal again.

Re: Brake Caliper Slide Pin Bush..........

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:25 pm
by raffo
that's the little bugger alrite........