Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Strut braces??

Want to know what to brakes/springs to buy?
Dan
Site Admin

Strut braces??

Postby Dan » Sat May 05, 2007 12:37 am

Have a front cusco strut brace on the way. i thought it was a simple bolt on job, but read this:

The package includes a bracket which repositions the throttle cable and protective loom that protects the cable from rubbing the brace. This is where merchandise from quality brands really shines. A point to note which is usually ignored or unknown by installers is that your suspension should be suspended when you are installing your brace. This ensures even balance and neutral suspension orientation when you tighten up.

Seems like a bit more work! Anyone fitted one ?

Tezzy
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby Tezzy » Sat May 05, 2007 10:43 am

i fitted mine about a month ago, it was a simple bolt on job for me! only tricky thing was cutting the carpet in the boot for the rear one. :lol: Not sure what brand they are though i got them thrown in with the deal on the car when i bought it, just in plastic wrapping.

The only slight clearance issue i had was with that pipe coming up from behind the rad and bending at 90 degrees above the passenger side strut tower. Power steering pipe i think it is.

Go for it and see what happens! :twisted:

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Sat May 05, 2007 11:15 am

Already did have it ordered from Couture Auto should have it next week. Ill have to get the rear one soon too

Mr. Tezza
Kerry Rep

Postby Mr. Tezza » Sat May 05, 2007 12:19 pm

About strut braces... can you get adjustable ones anywhere??? Was thinkin of gettin one for my car alrite at some stage
Kerry Rep

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Sat May 05, 2007 3:24 pm

I think the whole point of strut braces is to be rigid so that there is no movement. What would be the advantage an adjustable one?

lee_iceman
Trc Off

Postby lee_iceman » Sat May 05, 2007 5:00 pm

I have found ARB's to be a lot more effective than strut braces. They are good if you just want a bit of bling under the hood :)
My Garage, My YouTube
Nurburgring2 2006, lap in 11:48 | Bruntingsthorpe 2006, 1/4 mile in 15.8@88mph
213.3bhp and 247.3Nm of torque

Mr. Tezza
Kerry Rep

Postby Mr. Tezza » Sat May 05, 2007 7:53 pm

Dan wrote:I think the whole point of strut braces is to be rigid so that there is no movement. What would be the advantage an adjustable one?

With an adjustbale one you put them on to fit perfectly, then you speeze it out about 1 1/2 turns, this puts pressure on the struts and is supposed to be better at stoppin them from moving rather than just bolting one on
Kerry Rep

Dizz
Site Admin

Postby Dizz » Sat May 05, 2007 7:55 pm

lee_iceman wrote:I have found ARB's to be a lot more effective than strut braces. They are good if you just want a bit of bling under the hood :)

What companies make ARBs for the Altezza/IS200? I'd be interested in getting them :)

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Sat May 05, 2007 9:48 pm

Have a look HERE Dizz!
Going for the strut braces first then ARB's at a later stage maybe if needed. Think they are more expensive and a bit more difficult to fit i think

Noel

Postby Noel » Sun May 06, 2007 1:18 am

lee_iceman wrote:I have found ARB's to be a lot more effective than strut braces. They are good if you just want a bit of bling under the hood :)

Have to agree with Lee :wink:

IMHO Strut braces are totally bling if you haven't done the real handling components first....

The amount of flex in the chassis would be negligible on handling especially a rear strut, we already have a nice big metal plate behind the rear seats keeping it all together back there...

in comparsion fitting stiffer springs with correctly matched shocks would definitely improve cornering but lose some of the comfort...

Regards fitting stiffer ARB's, this might have unwanted side effects, as fitting too stiff a front ARB will give you more understeer ...

@Lee what uprated ARB's do you have? help take the guess work out of it

that all being said, front Strut towers do look nice 8)

Robin H
Southern England Rep

Postby Robin H » Sun May 06, 2007 5:08 pm

fitted my cusco 1 myself piece of cake

1st fit the 2 towers whilst the car is still on the ground otherwise your shocks will fall out

jack front end off the car up put stand under 1 side and jack under the other, then bolt the cross bar in place, or just use 2 jacks, you've only just got to lift the front end off the ground not right up in the air

job done 1 hour max

didn't have any clip thingy with mine tho

lee_iceman
Trc Off

Postby lee_iceman » Sun May 06, 2007 5:33 pm

Noel wrote:@Lee what uprated ARB's do you have? help take the guess work out of it

I have the TRD yellow's, 99% stiffer on the rear and 53% stiffer on the front.
Together with the coilovers they make an awesome difference, can throw the car around like its on rails. No understeer at all :)

My Garage, My YouTube

Nurburgring2 2006, lap in 11:48 | Bruntingsthorpe 2006, 1/4 mile in 15.8@88mph

213.3bhp and 247.3Nm of torque

Return to “Brakes and Suspension”