Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Braided stainless steel brake lines

Want to know what to brakes/springs to buy?
stabby
Trc On!

Braided stainless steel brake lines

Postby stabby » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:41 pm

Hello everyone,

Wanted to improve the braking on my car a little by upgrading the stock rubber lines for braided stainless steel ones.
But what kept me from ordering is knowing that up to an 05/2000 model altezza the flare that connects to the brake lines is of a S-type. 05/2000 and later models have a D-type flare.
Below an image for reference.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hcbpqpsayfuco7y/Australia-1.jpg?dl=0

Now I have seen ones from goodridge or trd. But the TRD ones are only for the later models and the goodridge ones don't really say for which it is and state they are for an IS200 model. Would these be the same for the japanese ones?

So my question is, has anybody done this already or know where I can buy a kit online for a 1999 sxe10 model?
1999 Altezza RS200-Z

Trd Shane
Tezza Fanatic!

Re: Braided stainless steel brake lines

Postby Trd Shane » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:05 pm

stabby wrote:Hello everyone,

Wanted to improve the braking on my car a little by upgrading the stock rubber lines for braided stainless steel ones.
But what kept me from ordering is knowing that up to an 05/2000 model altezza the flare that connects to the brake lines is of a S-type. 05/2000 and later models have a D-type flare.
Below an image for reference.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hcbpqpsayfuco7y/Australia-1.jpg?dl=0

Now I have seen ones from goodridge or trd. But the TRD ones are only for the later models and the goodridge ones don't really say for which it is and state they are for an IS200 model. Would these be the same for the japanese ones?

So my question is, has anybody done this already or know where I can buy a kit online for a 1999 sxe10 model?

Can you not just cut the end and re-flare it with a flaring tool to the desired type ??
"If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem"

stabby
Trc On!

Postby stabby » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:49 am

excuse the delay..but kept searching online for a solution and found one that could work..
apparently the is200 HEL brake lines could fit on our japanese version car.
I talked with Ben Viner from HEL automotive and he assured me that it could fit on our cars.

So ordered a package and now we wait till it arrives. Will keep you guys posted about the results..

And in reply to what you said Shane, I would prefer to have the whole brake line than to go make one.
It is in fact for our safety that the brakes should and must work so I would not be doing that.
Thanks for the suggestion though..
1999 Altezza RS200-Z

stabby
Trc On!

Postby stabby » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:41 pm

Package arrived the previous week but managed to install the brake lines this week.

Below an image of the package contents. You get the brake lines, screws and washers, instructions and even stickers! :)

Now in the instructions is where the secret lies of why this would fit on all altezza's no matter the flare version.

Fitted the lines. Here you can see from the front, back and also attached to the caliper.

My final thoughts and experience with this kit is that it's awesome!! Thumbs up for HEL brake lines and Ben for providing the information I needed. Car stops quicker now and also looks much better.
No fluid is leaking and the connectors fit perfectly. It is recommended to use a 10mm flare wrench though.
This to not round off/mess up the existing brake line screw.
My only complaint would be that the original c-clips don't let the brake line fit snug in it's place but a bit loose. But fixed that by bending them some more with a wrench and now they do fit. Small issue, easily fixed.
1999 Altezza RS200-Z

G-TECroscommon
Altezza Guru

Postby G-TECroscommon » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:24 pm

stabby wrote:Package arrived the previous week but managed to install the brake lines this week.

Below an image of the package contents. You get the brake lines, screws and washers, instructions and even stickers! :)

Now in the instructions is where the secret lies of why this would fit on all altezza's no matter the flare version.

Fitted the lines. Here you can see from the front, back and also attached to the caliper.

My final thoughts and experience with this kit is that it's awesome!! Thumbs up for HEL brake lines and Ben for providing the information I needed. Car stops quicker now and also looks much better.
No fluid is leaking and the connectors fit perfectly. It is recommended to use a 10mm flare wrench though.
This to not round off/mess up the existing brake line screw.
My only complaint would be that the original c-clips don't let the brake line fit snug in it's place but a bit loose. But fixed that by bending them some more with a wrench and now they do fit. Small issue, easily fixed.

They look very good, have you noticed much of a improvement ?

Return to “Brakes and Suspension”