Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Subframe locking collars

Want to know what to brakes/springs to buy?
peter0991
Altezza Guru

Subframe locking collars

Postby peter0991 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:45 pm

Has anyone fitted locking collars to their rear subframe?

Will jzx100 locking collars fit the altezza, or do they have completely different subframes?

Any opinions will be appreciated :D

peter0991
Altezza Guru

Re: Subframe locking collars

Postby peter0991 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:25 pm

No one? :lol:

twiglett-RS200
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby twiglett-RS200 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:54 pm

the bolts on the jzx subframe are the same diameter as those used on the sxe one so unless the outside of the collar is specific to the jzx you shouldnt have any problems.
what sort of bracing do you have on your subframes?
i have some trd and cusco framework under my car and i must say this one is the best handling altezza i have owned.

peter0991
Altezza Guru

Postby peter0991 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:30 pm

Ive got no bracing on the rear. I do get a lot of axle tramping though, so looking to lock the rear subfame in place :roll: And not happy with the way the rear subframe and diff move around when clutch kicking, feels really sloppy.

I know that the bolt orientation is different in jzx90 and jzx100. Jzx110 subframe is identical.

This is what I am on about http://www.rhdjapan.com/ikeya-formula-r ... yota-51461

You can get jzx90 and 100 locking collars in uk. But for the sxe10, you can only get them from japan, and they cost a fair bit more hence im trying to see if anyone used them.

The bracing is planned, but I want to sort this little problem out first. Cheers for the info as well :wink: Il look into the bush diameters for each car and see if they are the same.

peter0991
Altezza Guru

Postby peter0991 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:11 pm

Just a quick one, incase someone is looking for the same information that I was...

No :lol: JZX collars dont fit. Well some of them do. But the subframe design is slightly different. But oh my god! Locking collars make a hell of a difference!!! The rear end feels so much tighter and pretty much eliminated all the play in the transmission. Highly recommended!

twiglett-RS200
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby twiglett-RS200 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:47 pm

what collars did you end up fitting?
since turning my boost up i have noticed a bit of tramping when i changed gear during a skid or when i initiate with a clutch kick. just wondering if collars would fix it.
any noisier?

peter0991
Altezza Guru

Postby peter0991 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:10 am

Got some ikeya formula ones from rhd japan for like £130, were delivered within a week. They literally take 30 mins to fit. I fitted them and drove 500 miles up to Scotland and have not noticed any increase in road noise. There is no more tramping, everything is rock solid even with the coilies on full soft. I also recommend locking your diff in place as well, got some slip on diff mounts for a jzx which compress the rubber bush and make a semi solid diff mount. As I said, feels like a completely different car to drive now. One of those mods which you feel like has the most value for money and that you notice even under normal driving. No more looking like a noob when you lift off in 1st gear in traffic and your car rocks back and forth :lol:

twiglett-RS200
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby twiglett-RS200 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:00 pm

I hate the way my car does that in 1st
It feels like an engine mount has ripped off but they are both fine.
They are on my ever increasing list of things to buy then.

peter0991
Altezza Guru

Postby peter0991 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Yea man, look at the video right at the start. It was so bad that I couldnt get it into gear at times :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo49gD7XKMQ

twiglett-RS200
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby twiglett-RS200 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:48 pm

thats pretty similar to mine on the tramping then.
it only really does it when i clutch kick so im presuming its more to do with the diff moving rather than the subframe as on the wand it slides really smoothly.

i saw on one of your other videos at pembrey you span and stalled it then it took a while to start. mine always does this when i spin and has left me in a few hairy positions when im doing some streeto and im stuck on a roundabout with cars bearing down on me. :lol:

peter0991
Altezza Guru

Postby peter0991 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:09 am

Well, if you think about it. Different forces act on the whole subframe and diff when you pull the handbrake. So it doesnt really eliminate the subframe from being the cuplrit. I first fitted the diff mounts, and noticed and improvement. And a few weeks later fitted the collars and noticed a huuuuuuge improvement. I dont know if you had a look in the videos section of this forum, but look for a thread called subframe movement, or something along those lines.

Oh man, the cutting out gets silly sometimes. I have no idea what causes it. I can understand if I dont press the clutch in...then yea, acceptable. But it does it even on a disengaged clutch :? I think it has to be the fuel system....tbh im still running a stock fuel pump :lol: But yea, being beached on top of a roundabout + your car not able to start = not a good look :lol:

debox
Noob!

Postby debox » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:19 am

Are this locking collars recommended for timeattack/touge/autocross too ?? Looks like for drifting it's a must :D

Return to “Brakes and Suspension”