Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Steering rack centering

Want to know what to brakes/springs to buy?
peter0991
Altezza Guru

Steering rack centering

Postby peter0991 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:50 pm

I have had this thought and I will try my best to explain it.

Last year when I took my car in for tracking and alignment I was told that they could not put the maximum amount of camber on the front due to not having enough thread on the tie rods to adjust for it.

This was due to the car being lowered so much that the arms were pointing upwards at a silly angle.

Now that I have taken the front suspension apart to fit lock spacers and RCA's I have noticed that one of the tie rod ends was wound in further than the other.

Guess my question is:

When I get around to putting things back together do I center the rack so distance to the end of each tie rod is the same from the steering rack? The reason I am asking this is that I heard somewhere that the rack is was not centered from factory and it is slightly offset.

Hope that made sense.

poTTa
Altezza Guru

Re: Steering rack centering

Postby poTTa » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:30 pm

Do you have the same rack and rod ends on both sides?
I've seen some nuts take a non-oem rod end and drilled further into it because it was too long.
2004 RS200 Z

peter0991
Altezza Guru

Postby peter0991 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:43 pm

Im not 100% sure on what you mean but yes, the rod ends are the same both sides. I was just wondering if one was supposed to wind in further than the other.

mike_01
Altezza Guru

Postby mike_01 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:13 am

if it's offset from factory I would put back close as possible, but even then you WILL need to get the tracking done, if it's not right the tracking man will sort it out, what's more important is the steering wheel centred to the rack

a2pen
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby a2pen » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:47 pm

I have washers in the tie rod, maximum camber and I know exactly what u mean, so I got it perfectly even so there was equal threads as there was not alot holding it otherwise

peter0991
Altezza Guru

Postby peter0991 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:31 pm

Had my tracking done today, and one of the tie rods was wound pretty much all the way in and the other one barely halfway. So in conclusion, the rack is not centered and one tie rod engages more in one track rod end than the other.

Return to “Brakes and Suspension”