Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Control Arms Replacement

Want to know what to brakes/springs to buy?
Lightning
Trc Off

Control Arms Replacement

Postby Lightning » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:07 am

I changed the rear arms in the attached pictures; however, I can tighten the nuts only so much, then they're just spinning continuously. Everything in the middle seems to be spinning with nuts after a while for some reason. Can anyone tell me how to get them tightened?

Here is the top view

And here is the side view where can see the actual nuts

I also can't get this front left control arm fully bolted up correctly. The nut with the green arrow will screw right up, but the nut with the red arrow won't; it feels extra tight like it is going to cross thread after just a few turns. When I look from underneath, I can see that it is not fully lined up with the hole. Even when I try to push the arm into place; it is still about 1/8'' off from being dead center.

All this happened since I got into an accident recently. I have replaced all the parts seen in the pictures above, but can't get everything quite correct. Can any of you offer any advice?

Thanks as usual for the awesome help...

mlcoolj
Altezza Guru

Re: Control Arms Replacement

Postby mlcoolj » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:30 am

The bolts on the first pictures turn around because that's your ball joint, I think you can grip them with some pliers (try not to damage the rubber housing of course) . But if anyone knows a better way, then by all means correct me...

The last picture, been there done that... Weird that they don't line up correctly, I had the same issue... what you can do is try and compress the shock absorber with a jack or someting from the bottomside, because now it's decompressed and it will be a pain to get those holes aligned... I did it with a combo of a jack and a big plyer to twist the arm a little so I could get the holes aligned... (Again, try and not damage the arms with the plyers.. I used some cloth...) You shouldn't tighten the inner screw where the bush is all the way thight, leave room for some play...

EDIT: and use some loctite on those bolts on the last picture, and don't forget to tighten them to the correct momentum... and here's a DIY for that lower control arm on the last pic:
http://my.is/forums/f221/diy-front-2-lo ... rm-414502/

mike_01
Altezza Guru

Postby mike_01 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:59 am

the way round stopping the ball joint from turning is get a jack under the arm and get pressure on the joint works for me, but can be trial and error where the jack is placed, also might be worth trying when car is on the ground sometimes that works and if that fail an impact driver but have to be carefully not to go too mad otherwise will over tighten it, only needs to be tight enough to just start to pull the joint down which will stop it turning then just torque it off

you probally won't get enough grip on the ball joint with pliers, plus you might damage it

tomo
Altezza Guru

Postby tomo » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:41 am

As the other guys said put some pressure under the rear suspension with a jack to hold the ball joint still in the taper it sits in.
The front you are probably struggling to line up because the spring is punching the lower arm making everything out of line when you are trying to bolt up, try slackening the bolt you have in slightly then carefully putting a jack under the arm (make sure the jack doesn't slip) and lining up the other hole with a punch or screwdriver. Watch you don't crossthread the bolt putting it in pissed.

Lightning
Trc Off

Postby Lightning » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:55 am

Thanks for all the help. Will try tomorrow.

Lightning
Trc Off

Postby Lightning » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:32 am

Thanks for all the help guys; I got though. The arm in the last picture was really hard to get in without cross-threading though. Really wouldn't want to take it off ever again.

Thanks once again.

Return to “Brakes and Suspension”