Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Hydraulic Handbrake & drifting!

Want to know what to brakes/springs to buy?
poTTa
Altezza Guru

Re: Hydraulic Handbrake & drifting!

Postby poTTa » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:10 pm

you guys are talking a load of bull...
Have you ever watched Drifters from Japan - road, track, professional, newbie??? Look at the in-car footage and tell me why they use the Hand-brake so often!!!

Hand-brake is essential for any drifter! A hydro would make it easier and locks the wheels much faster...
I chain my drifts with the Hand-brake, does that make me a school boy with no experience in mums car? :lol:
2004 RS200 Z

daveo
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby daveo » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:59 pm

poTTa wrote:you guys are talking a load of bull...
Have you ever watched Drifters from Japan - road, track, professional, newbie??? Look at the in-car footage and tell me why they use the Hand-brake so often!!!

Hand-brake is essential for any drifter! A hydro would make it easier and locks the wheels much faster...
I chain my drifts with the Hand-brake, does that make me a school boy with no experience in mums car? :lol:

ah at last some similar thinking. id be lost without my handbreak and i dont think extra speed on approach is going to eliminate the use of a handbreak. its going to require the prolonged use of it if anything

a2pen
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby a2pen » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:03 pm

NinjaPower wrote:
a2pen wrote:Welder around £500 locks instantly
2way +£2000 and takes longer to engage both wheels spinning

Dont know where you are getting these prices from...
I charge £90 to weld a diff if it's handed to me, price obviously goes up if you want me to remove & refit it. I use an Arc Welder, these welds will never break, unlike mig welded diffs.
Iv just bought a standard Auto 6 bolt Altezza diff for £60.. So if I was to charge myself it would still only cost £150.
DW sell Kaaz 1.5 & 2 way LSD diffs for around £700-£800 for all the toyotas.
Considerable less than the prices you've got dude..lol

Prices have changed when I did mine I paid £200 for 6 bolt diff, £120 for is200 open diff and then paying someone to weld it, change it etc
2 way never really looked at, but again I thought £200 6 bolt diff, you will want higher acceleration crown wheel if you are spending on kaaz. Then pay some one to set up preload and backlash, ain't free

a2pen
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby a2pen » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:21 pm

daveo wrote:

ah at last some similar thinking. id be lost without my handbreak and i dont think extra speed on approach is going to eliminate the use of a handbreak. its going to require the prolonged use of it if anything

Yes, it's not that he doesn't need it, just money could be spent else where.
I have drifted my altezza for 2 years and was in the final of my championship and am now looking to fit a hydro as I am comfortable with the car and need less speed :)
This guy is going to use his car as a daily correct? so if correct needs to keep it reliable. Dont know if this is normal but EVERY drift event I have been to people are bleeding brakes blowing master cylinders because of hydros.
Also the standard handbrake has seen me alright but I am 6ft 4 and can reach the handbrake :D
The art of drifting slow cars is more speed when manging the straights I like to dab the foot brake to kick the ass out and to slow it slightly
Inertia Drift
This requires a lot of speed. Approaching a bend you need to decelerate throwing the weight of the car to the front wheels. When the back wheels become light you can steer the front into the bend and let the back wheels drift. Control is maintained with careful steering control and throttle inputs. A good technique to start drifting but requires experience as the speed involved is not very forgiving.

TuLegit2quitzz
Trc Off

Postby TuLegit2quitzz » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:32 pm

Very good advice from all and thanks for all the input.Ya its gonna be my daily car and ya i know thats kind of stupid considering i should really buy a track car but im not to sure about spending the money on a track car if i might not get to use it that much. Id prefer to have an nct'd altezza taxed and insured and have a few mods in her to let me drift on quite roads and roundabouts and what not. I know a hydro wont pass an nct but this is just an example....Its things like hydro brakes(even tho they wont pass) that i dont mind installing cause i can just re install a normal hand brake when nct comes around again. But i wouldnt want to do loaaaads of work that im not really gonna be able to go back on for nct. I can already diff grand in an altezza but i wanna make it as good as i can for drifting without basically making it unable to pass nct with a little work! Yano what i mean.

a2pen
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby a2pen » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:02 pm

Fair comment
Washers in the tie rods cheap and better for parking ;)
Better still no one knows.
I'm playing with dual calipers on the back so I will keep every one posted, best of both worlds then

NinjaPower
Trc Off

Postby NinjaPower » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:34 am

They don't use the handbrake often at all..

It's not essential to have a handbrake at all, let alone a hydro.

Wtf even is 'chain drift'?

You are all missing the point entirely...
[b]You don't NEED a hand break, and you'll be a better driver for not having one, just yet.

tomo
Altezza Guru

Postby tomo » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:59 am

I'm no drifter but got a few mates that are well into drifting, ninjapower and a2pen are right, you don't need a hydro, learn without one and when you get used to you're car then think about one.

Also there is no reason for it to fail mot/NCT either, just because you fit a hydro doesn't mean you have to get rid of normal handbrake.

daveo
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby daveo » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:39 am

It's not essential to have a handbrake at all, let alone a hydro.

Wtf even is 'chain drift'?

You are all missing the point entirely...
[b]You don't NEED a hand break, and you'll be a better driver for not having one, just yet.[/quote]

id fair love to see a vid of you drifting fella ..... i really would...ha ha :)

poTTa
Altezza Guru

Postby poTTa » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:08 pm

you dont NEED a hydro
but you DO need a good handbrake...
at every corner approach u can either offset the car by braking, a flick, power or the handbrake...or a combination...
how do you link a long sweeping corner to a short one?...handbrake and brake....or just brake....u will at some point have to slow the car down in the drift and still keep the slide...handbrake...
Drifting is not only about keeping the speed....its about holding the slide!
let me ask another question...in what gear do you fellas slide in?...1st or 2nd? :lol: ....ever tried a 3rd or 4th?...my theory, which i got from watching and learning from the Japs, will then put some sense in ur minds...
will post vids when i get a GoPro...
2004 RS200 Z

a2pen
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby a2pen » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:32 pm

Uploads to follow :)
First need to find big car park with lamp posts to practice ken block style :D

NinjaPower
Trc Off

Postby NinjaPower » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:14 am

I can count on one hand how many times I pull my wand in a general drift practice day. It's generally a last resort kinda thing. It's just to scrub speed while maintaining angle. Very very rarely would I pull the wand to initial. I'd have to have made a f*** up and pull it as a bail procedure..lol

poTTa, I generally initiate with a clutch kick and a flick, sometime just using the boost and a well timed flick..
Gear depends on what track, Santa pod for example I'll be in 2nd and 3rd... Lydden hill Iv shifted 4th and hit ~120mph in my mates JZs14a(first time id ever driven it), that's a much better setup car than anything else Iv driven, and it makes just shy of 500hp, and it has just a standard hand break...

I use a proportioning valve in my car, I have 90% of the foot brake force going to the front brakes, this helps more than the wand.

There is a few vids through my project thread for my aristo on Driftworks http://www.driftworks.com/forum/drift-c ... highlight=

And here's a few pics if you can't be arsed to look through..

And me skidding my friends s14

Us being cool at Brands Hatch practice day..

Awesome little film my friend Harry made of practice day at Santa pod a while back, used this day to try different settings on the suspension etc.. Low cars and santa pod don't go together too well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZZBjAPCWHQ

tomo
Altezza Guru

Postby tomo » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:48 am

Love it lol :P nice pics, will have a look through that dw thread when I get a minute.

Dean/a2pen, I got a load of videos of you but not a clue how to load them to a forum.

daveo
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby daveo » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:02 pm

jaisus lads ....i think ye are at a different level of drifting than this lad is. he has a standard tez and would be pulling second .......rarely 3rd and never 4th. the man needs his handbreak .....end of story. he is not driving a high powered drift car touching 500 bhp and most deffinately wont be drifting at a120 ph drift so maybe give him info to suit his needs and not what suits yer cars....massive difference like !!and a quick flick and a boost isnt going to initiate for him. end of story you need a handbreak buddy.

NinjaPower
Trc Off

Postby NinjaPower » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:15 pm

No mate, hand brake won't help.. Believe me. If your using a handbrake in an Altezza your not doing it right and not really drifting, your just ars dragging and doing a bit of a power slide.
You need to be incredibly aggressive, flick and clutch kick.. Lots of clutch kicks.

Return to “Brakes and Suspension”