Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Hydraulic Handbrake & drifting!

Want to know what to brakes/springs to buy?
TuLegit2quitzz
Trc Off

Hydraulic Handbrake & drifting!

Postby TuLegit2quitzz » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:50 pm

I'm looking to purchase a hydraulic Handbrake for my Altezza for easier drifting and what not! Just wondering has anyone got one in there's and are they any good on Altezzas? Because iv always heard Altezzas are only really good for diffin a bit and not really good for drifting. I'm not looking to be the next ken block or anything but i would like to drift a lot in my Altezza and get pretty serious at it like around long quite corners and what not! Basically what i'm trying to say is has anyone one of these in their cars and even with it will i be able to drift(well) my Altezza without installing a turbo or engine conversion! Or is an s15/14 the way to go? Cheers all.

cjquicksilver
Trc Off

Re: Hydraulic Handbrake & drifting!

Postby cjquicksilver » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:26 pm

my altezza drift very well, it does have a turbo conversion tho!,

ive seen a couple of NA tezzas drifting without issues,

stick with ur car if ur happy with how it goes etc as you will progress and it will become easier the more you do!
hydraulic handbrake is a good adition but not essential, i have one on my impreza and i only use it on technical stages to bring the rear of the car round tight sections or to get me out of the poo if im heading for a wall lol
but the oem handbrake, properly adjusted will be enough, if you upset the weight distribution of the car, all that you would need is a little yank on the hand brake then control the slide with mixture of throttle and steering.
hope that helps! n have fun :mrgreen:

TuLegit2quitzz
Trc Off

Postby TuLegit2quitzz » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:36 pm

Sounds good! Suppose il start off on the tezza anyway prob the best option! I will most likely install a hydraulic handbrake aswell tho for easier sliding! Do you mind me asking did you do the turbo conversion yourself and did it cost ya much?

daveo
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby daveo » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:22 pm

my advise to you fella would be put in a hudro sooner than later and learn to drift with it. ive used my standard handbreak all along and its a balls cos its so far away. easier control with a hydro also as yer not pulling yourrself outa the seat like you would be with the standard. im putting a hydro in the new baby and i know its going to be so much easier having instant lock and having it vertically close to the gear lever. :)

TuLegit2quitzz
Trc Off

Postby TuLegit2quitzz » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:01 pm

Good advice :) ya i think im going to order one this week or next week.and im going to try get the best one i can.Their about 150 euro. Now wondering will i get a horizontal leaver or a vertical lever! Thinking a vertical lever for easier reach! Can you keep your standard handbrake and have a hydro hooked up at the same time?

cjquicksilver
Trc Off

Postby cjquicksilver » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:08 pm

Hydro works off calipers h- brake off little shoes in the drum, u need cable h-brake for mot

a2pen
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby a2pen » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:50 pm

To be honest welded diff is all u need!
I used to drift mine standard it's fine but it will take you longer to learn, but to drift an altezza it's all about speed of entry not hand braking because it slows you down to much and you will run out of steam mid corner.
The power is the biggest pain but it is the same as an ae86, low powered and light, and takes a real DRIVER to handle them and not moan.

NinjaPower
Trc Off

Postby NinjaPower » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:23 pm

TuLegit2quitzz wrote:I'm looking to purchase a hydraulic Handbrake for my Altezza for easier drifting and what not! Just wondering has anyone got one in there's and are they any good on Altezzas? Because iv always heard Altezzas are only really good for diffin a bit and not really good for drifting. I'm not looking to be the next ken block or anything but i would like to drift a lot in my Altezza and get pretty serious at it like around long quite corners and what not! Basically what i'm trying to say is has anyone one of these in their cars and even with it will i be able to drift(well) my Altezza without installing a turbo or engine conversion! Or is an s15/14 the way to go? Cheers all.

Altezza's are amazing at drifting. You just need to drive it right.
The SXE chassis is just as good as the S-body's & R-bodys, just harder to get parts for.
Altezza's need to be driven like AE86's, MX5's, etc.. Flat out!
You really won't need the hand break much, at least not at the start.. They are mainly used to scrub speed when going into tighter corners, and to slow down when twinning..
Only school boys use the handbrake to initiate. Literally.
If your using a handbrake to initiate in an Altezza then your not going fast enough to carry your drift.

Don't think you need more power either because you don't. I skidded a Completly standard is200 half the way home from buying it, it was overheating and running on 5cylinders half the time, open diff, And still skids fine.

Not everyone is a hero like me though, lol. It's just a case of practice.

daveo wrote:my advise to you fella would be put in a hudro sooner than later and learn to drift with it.

Your advise is wrong. Learn to skid WITHOUT a hydro, then get one when you actually NEED one.

TuLegit2quitzz
Trc Off

Postby TuLegit2quitzz » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:29 pm

Iv never understood exactly what is a welded diff.Like i understand the differential is welded but what exactly makes that so good! Because i might be wrong here but i had a friend who bought a sierra field car and he wanted to use it for messin at night on roads and its diff was welded and he was driving it home and i was behind him and we were both doing 60 and his 2 back tyres suddenly locked up and he he was basically drifting on the main road sideways while there was loads of cars coming in the other direction.He was awful lucky he didnt crash but anyway he gave it back because he said he couldnt risk that happening and crashing but they then later said he broke the diff and that why it happened! I dont understand the whole concept behind it! Wouldnt a 2 way diff with a hydro break be better and safer?Cheers

NinjaPower
Trc Off

Postby NinjaPower » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:31 pm

a2pen wrote:To be honest welded diff is all u need!
I used to drift mine standard it's fine but it will take you longer to learn, but to drift an altezza it's all about speed of entry not hand braking because it slows you down to much and you will run out of steam mid corner.
The power is the biggest pain but it is the same as an ae86, low powered and light, and takes a real DRIVER to handle them and not moan.

Should have read this, this is pretty much spot on :D

NinjaPower
Trc Off

Postby NinjaPower » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:35 pm

TuLegit2quitzz wrote:Iv never understood exactly what is a welded diff.Like i understand the differential is welded but what exactly makes that so good! Because i might be wrong here but i had a friend who bought a sierra field car and he wanted to use it for messin at night on roads and its diff was welded and he was driving it home and i was behind him and we were both doing 60 and his 2 back tyres suddenly locked up and he he was basically drifting on the main road sideways while there was loads of cars coming in the other direction.He was awful lucky he didnt crash but anyway he gave it back because he said he couldnt risk that happening and crashing but they then later said he broke the diff and that why it happened! I dont understand the whole concept behind it! Wouldnt a 2 way diff with a hydro break be better and safer?Cheers

When the diff is welded, both the wheels turn the same. The reason why open diffs don't drift well is because only 1 wheels spins..

You just need to be 'aware' when driving on the roads in slippery conditions.

Your friends diff locked up because I expect it was mig welded.. The welds would have broken up and then got stuck somewhere causing it to lock. Iv experianced it before in an e36 I bought.

TuLegit2quitzz
Trc Off

Postby TuLegit2quitzz » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:42 pm

I had an idea that might be what it was so. I always thought a 2 way diff was the best tho.Also what happens if the welded diff breaks! Does that happen a bit or is it very very rare!

a2pen
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby a2pen » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:16 pm

Been running my welder over a year now no hassle,
They are noisy at slow speed and a 2way is better for road very slightly, you still need have your wits about you.
Pros and cons
Welder around £500 locks instantly
2way +£2000 and takes longer to engage both wheels spinning

That £2000 is better invested in turbos, 1jz or 1uz

Ninja power great minds think alike :D

NinjaPower
Trc Off

Postby NinjaPower » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:16 am

a2pen wrote:Welder around £500 locks instantly
2way +£2000 and takes longer to engage both wheels spinning

Dont know where you are getting these prices from...
I charge £90 to weld a diff if it's handed to me, price obviously goes up if you want me to remove & refit it. I use an Arc Welder, these welds will never break, unlike mig welded diffs.
Iv just bought a standard Auto 6 bolt Altezza diff for £60.. So if I was to charge myself it would still only cost £150.
DW sell Kaaz 1.5 & 2 way LSD diffs for around £700-£800 for all the toyotas.
Considerable less than the prices you've got dude..lol

daveo
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby daveo » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:40 am

daveo wrote:my advise to you fella would be put in a hudro sooner than later and learn to drift with it.

Your advise is wrong. Learn to skid WITHOUT a hydro, then get one when you actually NEED one.[/quote]

are you for real???? what the heck are you talking about!!! there is a massive difference in practically and technically using the 2 of them. one locks faster and instantly the other you are hanging off. if your thinking of a hydro ....do it now and learn with it rather than a standard.

diff wise feck a 2 way and feck a lsd use an open diff welded up out of an automatic car as the ratio is better due to the high revs of an automatic.

Return to “Brakes and Suspension”