Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Figs Engineering: Supra Disc Upgrade

Want to know what to brakes/springs to buy?
E910
Altezza Guru

Re: Figs Engineering: Supra Disc Upgrade

Postby E910 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:38 am

I looked into doing this a while back, mainly just for aesthetic reasons but the cost for the brackets put me off. What sort of money would you be looking at with a group buy?
I just put some EBC pads in to improve braking.

sprinter2012
Trc Off

Postby sprinter2012 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:24 pm

E910 wrote:I looked into doing this a while back, mainly just for aesthetic reasons but the cost for the brackets put me off. What sort of money would you be looking at with a group buy?
I just put some EBC pads in to improve braking.

I'm still not sure on the group buy cost, I've asked him to to me a couple of estimates based on group buys of 5 and 10 people.

But I do have a spare set available which were sent in error, for £300. And that's including all import/shipping costs.
IS200 Sport : F & R Tints : 6000K HIDs All Round : LED Side & Reverse : SMD Dash

18" Aero Wheels : TTE Rear Lip : Black Calipers w/White Decals

: Smoked indicators : Cusco Strut Brace : Bonnet Lifters : Legana Bumper : TRD Skirts

sprinter2012
Trc Off

Postby sprinter2012 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:02 pm

Finally got these fitted...

Took me a couple of hours after work to get it done but I'm already feeling the benefits...

Started off with stock calipers, on stock brackets, on stock discs, like this...

First step is to undo the slide pin bolts using a 14mm spanner on the back, and a 17mm on the pin itself to stop it rotating. You may not need the 17mm spanner, but if you plan to re-use the dust boots it's better to use it anyway or you risk tearing them...

Then put the caliper out of the way on an axle stand for now...

Once they are off, you can remove the caliper brackets. This is super easy as all you have to do is undo the two 17mm bolts that hold the caliper bracket onto the hub.

With the old bracket off, you can start assembling the new brackets, the first thing I did was to press the new dust boots in. Simply slot a socket over the top of the rubber boot so it rests on the metal collar, and either tap it in with a hammer, or squeeze it in with a vice like I did...

I then removed the slide pins, changed the rubber bush on the pin, greased it up and put it into the corresponding hole on the new bracket (make sure they go in the right hole as they are different!)

I then removed, and refitted the pad retaining/slide clips into the new brackets and greased them up too...

IS200 Sport : F & R Tints : 6000K HIDs All Round : LED Side & Reverse : SMD Dash

: Smoked indicators : Cusco Strut Brace : Bonnet Lifters : Legana Bumper : TRD Skirts

sprinter2012
Trc Off

Postby sprinter2012 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:02 pm

Next job was the dust shields, most people just cut these off completely. But being an engineer that seemed too simple, plus I wanted to keep the cooling effects of the air duct at the front of the shield. You can also just bend them back out of the way but that seemed too ghetto and again, too easy.

So I put slots all the way along the sections of the dust shield which overhang the top and bottom of the old disc like this...

I then bent them upwards, chopped them off and smoothed off the edge so I was now left with this perfectly fitting and still fully functioning air duct/dust shield...

With the discs now able to fit properly and the mounting hardware transferred onto the new brackets I slid the discs on, put the new pads into the brackets and remounted them over the disc onto the hub...

The only job left then was to press the pistons back into the calipers and bolt them back onto the brackets, forget to take a picture of them without the wheel, and then have to take a crappy picture through a very dirty wheel...

I've only put about 20 miles through them so far but I'm already finding myself stopping short at junctions and slowing down too much coming into corners, so I can't wait to see how they perform once they are properly bedded in!

And just for comparison so you can see the difference in size between the old and new here's a gif I made to show the two sizes...

E910
Altezza Guru

Postby E910 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:04 am

Looking good

sprinter2012
Trc Off

Postby sprinter2012 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:38 pm

I was having a debate with some guys on Euro LOC about the effectiveness of these brackets in comparison to the full Supra setup, and made the following chart to show the differences in size vs contact area.

As you can see, the FIGS brackets with Supra discs are 9.14% bigger than OEM, and the Supra calipers with Supra discs are 13.93% bigger than the FIGS option.

EDIT: And here is the forumla I created to calculate the surface area

=((3.142*((C6/2)^2))-(3.142*((C7/2)^2)))/100

xeraptor
Trc Off

Postby xeraptor » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:12 pm

Pad contact surface doesn't really matter. What matters is combined piston surface as it is them who apply force to the pad.
Bigger disks will only take more heat.

sprinter2012
Trc Off

Postby sprinter2012 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:36 pm

xeraptor wrote:Pad contact surface doesn't really matter. What matters is combined piston surface as it is them who apply force to the pad.
Bigger disks will only take more heat.

I genuinely didn't think the principle behind using bigger disks was that hard to understand...apparently I was wrong.

You do not need to increase pad force or pad contact area to increase breaking performance in this kit. Although both those things will improve it too.

With the same pad pressure and same contact area, the breaking force (torque) applied to the hub will increase the further the pad contact is from the centre of rotation.

Same principle as using a breaker bar to undo a stubborn bolt, when you add a bigger bar you don't physically push harder on the bar, but because the force is being exerted on a further point from the bolt, you can undo it because it creates more torque.

xeraptor
Trc Off

Postby xeraptor » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:23 pm

Read here: http://stoptech.com/technical-support/t ... -selection

3) Clamping force: The clamping force of a caliper is the force exerted on the disc by the caliper pistons. Measured in pounds clamping force, it is the product of brake line pressure, in psi, multiplied by the total piston area of the caliper in square inches. This is true whether the caliper is of fixed or floating design. Increasing the pad area will not increase the clamping force.

3) Only increasing the effective radius of the disc, the caliper piston area, the line pressure, or the coefficient of friction can increase brake torque. Increasing the pad area will decrease pad wear and improve the fade characteristics of the pads but it will not increase the brake torque.
Last edited by xeraptor on Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twiglett-RS200
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby twiglett-RS200 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:21 pm

so its not incorrect then.
it says so in the bottom paragraph.
the figs carrier brackets are enlarging the effective radius of the brakes as they move the pad further away from the pivot point.
if everything apart from the pad location stays the same then the further away from the pivot the better the brakes will be as more contact surface will be moving over the pad surface. pad life will be decreased but they will definitely perform better than stock brakes.

xeraptor
Trc Off

Postby xeraptor » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:59 pm

You are right. Increasing shoulder will increase effective torque, thought it can be increased by just changing pads to metallic ones.

mike_01
Altezza Guru

Postby mike_01 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:16 am

The idea would be
use a standard 1/2 ratchet to undo a bolt that is really tight
then use on same bolt now use a breaker bar
tell me which one would be easier to use to undo bolt
effectivly that is what this conversion does is alter the lever area
simple but effective way of describing them :wink:

beamsteza
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby beamsteza » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:06 pm

Looks sugar i wouldn't waste my money on it even if they made a difference when would ya need it unlss your on a track

sprinter2012
Trc Off

Postby sprinter2012 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:25 pm

martinb7793 wrote:Looks sugar i wouldn't waste my money on it even if they made a difference when would ya need it unlss your on a track

I didn't do the mod because I was expecting face ripping brake performance, I did it because it's a mod that nobody else has done and I wanted to do something original and different to what everyone else is doing. I didn't set out to try to prove anything to anyone, I only started quoting facts etc. after people like you left stupid comments.

I don't bitch about your gay rear spoiler do I sugar?

beamsteza
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby beamsteza » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:37 pm

haha funny man do we have to go there about childish remarks

by the way sugar should say s.h.i.t.e

Return to “Brakes and Suspension”