Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

Android

Anything not related to cars
Rob
Altezza Guru

Android

Postby Rob » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:11 am

Got myself an Android phone recently, really taken aback by the apps on it. Not just the useless gimmicks like on iPhone either. :)

Check this one out!
http://dynomaster.trackaroo.com/welcome

My new favourite toy.. :)

Damok

Re: Android

Postby Damok » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:15 am

That looks cool. 8) 8) Dose it really work, how accurate would it be?
Newbie click the link, $ $ $ $ $
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

Rob
Altezza Guru

Postby Rob » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:22 am

Damok wrote:That looks cool. 8) 8) Dose it really work, how accurate would it be?

I only just got the app this morning, but it hooks up to the phone's built in inertia sensors and GPS. I know my regular GPS is more accurate than the dashboard clock ( +/-1 km/h) and the timing would be millisecond perfect, so it would definitely be more accurate than trying to time it with a stopwatch.

I found it by accident. I was watching a youtube clip about some nutcase who built a centrifuge for a lava lamp, he was using an Android phone as a g-meter, which got me thinking.. :)

Damok

Postby Damok » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:35 am

Ha ha ha cool. . I have an app on the nokia N97 for speed and it's bang on, But that app looks to have some amount of info on it.. Let us know how it goes.
Newbie click the link, $ $ $ $ $
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

Squire
Altezza Guru

Postby Squire » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:06 pm

That looks the right job, say u'l have loads of fun with it! :) All these fancy phones, next we'll have one that'll just drive the car for us!! :lol: :lol:
CAUTION!!....1 JZ Conversion under Construction!!

TEZMANIAN DEVIL!!

TOC Link- http://toyotaownersclub-irl.forumotion.com/u3- http://www.bebo.com/Pip_Dunne

Dan
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:48 pm

what Android phone did you get Rob? Have the Nexus One myself and its a great phone!

Robin H
Southern England Rep

Postby Robin H » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:56 pm

nice little toy

I've been looking at phones for ages. I've got an old htc phone running on windows and love it but it's getting old. I like the look of the Iphone but hate the hole apple thing.

I may have to look into these android phones as this maybe the next step :)
Deals on Anodised Altezza parts.... cooling panels and battery bars..

If you are a UK member and interested in club meets please sign up here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7729

Please Support TezzaWorld
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8309

Club stickers
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8724

Blitz Turbo Altezza RS220
I wish I had more time.....

Rob
Altezza Guru

Postby Rob » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:58 pm

Dan wrote:what Android phone did you get Rob? Have the Nexus One myself and its a great phone!

HTC Tattoo. Cheapo phone, 'cos I had to buy it sim-free. I was tied into a lengthy contract with a cr*p phone. I had bought it then Vodafone decided to offer it for only €10 with a contract a few weeks later. I could have cried. The nexus looks pretty cool alright!
Still though, it cost €200 sim free, less than half of an iPhone! The great thing is that it runs all the apps of the more expensive phones, albeit on a smaller screen.

Rob
Altezza Guru

Postby Rob » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:14 pm

Robin H wrote:nice little toy

I've been looking at phones for ages. I've got an old htc phone running on windows and love it but it's getting old. I like the look of the Iphone but hate the hole apple thing.

I may have to look into these android phones as this maybe the next step :)

Definitely. You have to jailbreak an iPhone before it becomes really useful. The problem with that is you've then got a phone you can't upgrade and is succeptable to worms and Apple won't do a jot to help you. Without it, there's not much in the way of free apps. The great thing about Android is most of the major phone manufacturers are taking it on, so if you like Sony Ericsson, Samsung, Motorola, etc., you can get an Android phone with them. You can spend very little (HTC Tatto) or a lot (e.g. Nexus) . There's not much flexibility with the iPhone.
The vast majority of Android apps are free, and not just dodgy-copy free either.

todd
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby todd » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:45 pm

You can upgrade a jailbroken iphone no problem at all, usually have to wait a few weeks for the dev boys to crack the latest firmware but it's still free.

Also, getting a worm on an iphone, the chances of that happening to the average user are next to nothing as you have to have SSH software running with the default password!

Apps wise, the iphone rapes the other phones and yes there are some stupid apps but many many good ones.

And before you accuse me of being a fanboy for apple...............

I just sent back my Nexus One (no copy and paste function that's any good, crap camera and video), Had a Android G1 when they first came out, had most of the HTC WM handsets as well but every time I change I nearly always keep my iphone as it ticks all the boxes for me (lets just not mention the totally sugar camera LOL).

Rob
Altezza Guru

Postby Rob » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:30 pm

Things would be a little different here than in the UK, you can go to other mobile providers for the iPhone. O2 still has exclusivity here, so not only do they screw you on the price of the handset, I found out they also have special voice and data plans where they screw you on a daily basis from then on too. The 3GS costs €299, with a contract!

The G1 wasn't a nice phone at all. I avoided Android for a long time because of it, especially since it tended to crash a lot. To be honest, if I were to spend as much money as the Nexus costs, I'd go for Sony Ericsson or Motorola running Android instead. HTC are cheap, but you gets what you pay for. It's all relative really though, 'cos when I signed up to the contract I chose an LG for about the same price as I got the Tattoo for a while later. The LG was a dreadful heap, the Tattoo was infinitely better despite it's flaws.

todd
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby todd » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:06 pm

Rob wrote: I'd go for Sony Ericsson or Motorola running Android instead. HTC are cheap, but you gets what you pay for.

HTC have been making some of the best phones for years, well ahead of Motorola who died a death but mind you the Droid they make is a cracking piece of kit, funnily enough, running Android.

At the end of the day, I find it comes down to which operating system you are comfortable with, each have their pros and cons, just got to find the balance :)

Rob
Altezza Guru

Postby Rob » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:31 am

Return to “Non-car related chat”